Info Needed: Cameron Lake Boat Launch

Fishing Guide

Cheers All,

Never been on Cameron Lake and have been booked to test some equipment on the lake next week. Guests are coming from out of province so the info is needed sooner than later.

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of what type of ramp is located on Cameron Lake, where the ramp is located and how big a boat can be launched on the ramp. Is it a good ramp or is it a 4x4 situation? Also, is it a pay-per-use or behind a locked gate? Any info that you may also think important would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance....

About 15-20 years ago I launched (14 foot tinny) from the campsite facilities. Nice paved ramp. No 4X needed. Paid my fee and had a great day on lake. Went back some years later. Seemed to be new ownership or policies, because I was refused launching privilages because I was not a paying guest at the campsite. I haven't been back since. Launched a few draggable boats off the beach though. Nice lake with some BIG trout. Just watch the wind. It picks up fast! I'd phone the campsite there (forgot name.) and inquire.

Last edited by a moderator:
I launched my 17.5 at the only ramp at the campground. Wasn't the nicest ramp but doable even without 4x4 but I would not want to launch anything much bigger there. Quite shallow too if I remember right. That is probably the reason you never see big boats on there.

Same as real Knotty. Once upon a time it was a pretty cool place. Then change of ownership or something and they have become rediculous . If you aren't a paying "camper" then they don't want you on the property. Even if you offer to pay to use the ramp they refuse. Unless something has changed rescently. It's crazy. The fish in the lake are Big.

Cheers Highlights,

Oh surrrreeeee...now you tell me the fish are Big! haha Sad to say we won't even have a rod in the boat as
the entire trip is field hours for the engineers on the side scan sonar and ROV. However...I am going to watch
the side scan close to see what type of signatures that lake produces and, unless the guest objects, I will report
back.

I used to teach in Port Alberni and travelled that road daily to and from Nanaimo and only saw fishermen there in the early spring and fall - pretty quiet in the summer months.

As for the ramp at the Cameron Lake Resort - I was told it could accomodate boats up to 20 - 22 feet. If I can get a hold of the owner I will take a burn up there on the weekend and check it out. Again...very strange with a lake that close to the highway and no public place to launch a boat. Sad. :(

Good luck to you and your trip there. I am sure if you go about the appropriate channels , some sort of agreement can be had between you and the owners of the ramp. It has been years since I have tried. Let us know the outcome if you don't mind.

HL :)

boat launch

About 15-20 years ago I launched (14 foot tinny) from the campsite facilities. Nice paved ramp. No 4X needed. Paid my fee and had a great day on lake. Went back some years later. Seemed to be new ownership or policies, because I was refused launching privilages because I was not a paying guest at the campsite. I haven't been back since. Launched a few draggable boats off the beach though. Nice lake with some BIG trout. Just watch the wind. It picks up fast! I'd phone the campsite there (forgot name.) and inquire.

The boat launch Natzy would not let us launch our boat yesterday. Why does he get to rule the lake. Something needs to be done about him..

Yeah it's a shame. I am not sure if it is the same guy but the last time I was there 17 years ago the guy said he would call the RCMP if we didn't leave. We asked if he could make that call for us because at the time nothing was making any sense. I mean , how was it that other people were there using the fascilities. We said we would pay whatever fees were needed to cover things. Still confused.

We left after him and another guy walked us to the exit of the campsite.

Never been back.

If there is a ramp and you have to be a registered camper to use it, the answer may be to camp for the days that you are testing the sonar. Putting a trailer or camper on the site will give you a place to go back to and regroup or even just to have coffee at.

If you need someone to put a travel trailer on the site when you are testing, it would probably be possible to find someone. I know that I want to fish the Little Q down from the lake, and that may be the incentive needed.

Talk nicely to the operators and be flexible.

If you are coming to Port . Try the last pull out before the end of the lake. I have seen tinnies launched it may be to small for what you had in mind,but a look won't hurt.

The fact of the matter is the guy runs a private campsite with private facilities and it is solely his call whether to allow public use of his ramp.

Actually I'm glad he does that......Cameron is one of the few lakes left where you don't see weekend drunken boating a**holes and partiers very much. Or flaky wakeboarders......or flaky skiers......or flaky Seadoo operators. Although they still are around somewhat in the campsite.

The tinny launch at the other end, you won't be able to put a big fibreglass in there........

There are SOME big fish in Cameron.....but don't get the idea it's crawling with whoppers......there's lots of small stuff in there as well.........

The BIG browns are few and far between.....and they are elusive.

Back