Indian Candy to Salmon Jerky

I just finished pulling my fish outta the smoker and I am afraid I either brined, dried, or smoked the strips too long. They have the texture more like a jerky. They taste fine but was wondering if I glazed them before vaccum packing if they might re-hydrate a little? Anyone out there ever had this problem? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks

I just finished pulling my fish outta the smoker and I am afraid I either brined, dried, or smoked the strips too long. They have the texture more like a jerky. They taste fine but was wondering if I glazed them before vaccum packing if they might re-hydrate a little? Anyone out there ever had this problem? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks

Probably the smoker was a little too warm and/or for too long. I smoke my candy chunks at a low temperature, spray them several times with the glaze, sampling often as they cook. I had a similar situation to yours last fall - I left it too long. So, I just sprayed the chunks on the racks with the honey/sugar glaze solution one more time, shortly before vacuum packing - just as you suggested. I ate some yesterday. After thawing, it came out of the bag slightly moist, looked great and it was tender and delicious! You have the right idea.

Yeah foxsea is right-should bring them back a bit. You probably left it in the smoker too long and or too hi a heat. Candy if done correctly after coming out of the "cure" is literally cured and ready to eat (if you want) The smoking is only to add a bit of taste and to dry it a little-not to "cook it."

Then I'm wondering if I left it in the brine too long? They were almost translucent before I even started the smoke process. Anyways thanks for the help. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359062999.463707.jpg That is what they looked like before I loaded into my big chief.

SD they should be translucent when they come out of the cure-if you used 1 kg demerrara sugar to 5/8 cup of salt(or proportions thereof} -then I leave my salmon in there for 4 days before hitting the smoker for 2-4 hours around 110-120 degrees. You could eat that salmon right out of the cure-its the same as lox-"cured" and tastes great-smoking and spritzing with scotch and sugarwater or rum and sugarwater just adds to the unique flavour. Mike

Back