Inboard Repower Timeframe

reeltordarius

Hey Y'all!

Many of you likely know that I recently sold my 17' Arima Ranger and purchased a Tolly 26. I started the process to purchase the Tolly in mid December (deposit given). Knew it needed to be repowered and was lucky enough to get a brand new Chevy 350. I was referred to Mike @ Westshore Marine who, after several conversations and emails, suggested he would pick up the engine Jan 15 and boat Feb 1, with completion of the repower to be March 1. Engine was picked up Jan 15, boat picked up Feb 1. After several communications with Mike, I finally made the decision to pull the boat from his shop on April 2nd. Essentially, he couldn't give me a definitive timeframe as to when the repower would be completed. Part of the issue stemmed from the fact that he delayed in ordering the EFI system for no apparent reason. The old engine is out of the boat, new engine is "almost" completely assembled (except the EFI).

The boat has been with Jenkins Marine in Sooke since April 8th, they've been WAY better with communication and I suspect they'll do an overall better job given they seem to be a larger operation.

So my question is this, what are others experiences with repowering of inboard? Is 4-5 months a reasonable amount of time for a repower?

Thanks!

-D

depends on availability of the replacement parts. i had a trophy with a 351 windsor. ordered the motor for a shop in Campbell River. They had the full swap done in 2 days. Then waited a full week for some linkage materials that where worn and needed replacement before re-launch.

4-5 months is ridiculous.

After several communications with Mike, I finally made the decision to pull the boat from his shop on April 2nd. Essentially, he couldn't give me a definitive timeframe as to when the repower would be completed.
Smartest thing you did bud.....maybe give pro power a call he might be able to help you out he has built me engines in past he is a no ******** guy honest ...

Smartest thing you did bud.....maybe give pro power a call he might be able to help you out he has built me engines in past he is a no ******** guy honest ...

Agree with Wolf also. That is way too long. I never park my boat at places I always ask when they are going to work on it then bring it in with appointment.

Well...I've been told late May from Jenkins. They have the boat, engine fully assembled and everything else they need. I've only ever dealt with outboards, which I've done the installation of myself and usually only took a weekend. I expected longer, but didn't think this long :confused:. Would have also made a big difference if I could have been doing other projects on the boat if it were in Vancouver....(and by projects I mean just sitting on the boat with a beer) ;).

Seems odd that a shop could afford to have a boat sitting in the shop or yard for months.
Why would they then....I don't get it either. I've never been so excited to pay for the work...

I'm afraid to move it again....trying to give Jenkins the time to get it done...really hope it's sooner than later.

Agree with Wolf also. That is way too long. I never park my boat at places I always ask when they are going to work on it then bring it in with appointment.
Yea, I thought the "appointment" was for Feb 1 with completion March 1.....guess "appointment" has too many definitions.

quite simple, too much cream coming through the shop to be bothered with your boat. this does not happen at my shop or customers
Wait...so how is my boat not part of the "cream"?

Wait...so how is my boat not part of the "cream"?
large jobs become filler when times are slow, might take 30hrs to complete but only pays 20hrs.
"cream" jobs take 2hrs but pay 3hrs..... there is lots of "cream" out there right now.
shops will become very choosing in times like this.

BTW what is the hourly shop rate for the marine shops?
When I left 20 years ago it was $80hr shop rate and mechanics made $25hr.

large jobs become filler when times are slow, might take 30hrs to complete but only pays 20hrs.
"cream" jobs take 2hrs but pay 3hrs..... there is lots of "cream" out there right now.
shops will become very choosing in times like this.

BTW what is the hourly shop rate for the marine shops?
When I left 20 years ago it was $80hr shop rate and mechanics made $25hr.
i know my marine mechanic charges out at over $100 per hour. thankfully i haven’t needed him very much

I did mine in a weekend (3days) with a transom shield swap 2452 ciera express 5.7 litre. Not trying to take the **** out of any marine shops or techs but i believe they all take alot longer then is actually necessary. Also did the same on a friends 4.3 in a sea ray it took 5 days to get the crate from mercury but that was the only delay truly not as complicated a job as its made out to be reality is its all nuts and bolts a good manual and a box of tools and place to do it is all thats needed in my opinion

Back