Inboard/Outboards Vs Outboards

Good post Foxsea.

This bullet point is interesting.
"Especially important in smaller boats, outboards provide more room inside the boat because they are installed on the transom, outside the boat. I/O engines are in the cockpit which takes up an area of the boat that can be better used for user convenience and comfort."

This is one thing about podded boats that I never liked. I don't like having a big outboard and kicker hanging 4 feet off the back of the boat. It is space in the water that I cannot use for playing a fish, netting or just swimming. It also becomes a bit of a drag trying to pull skiers and tubers with that back there. I use my boat as multi purpose, so that is also a factor.

Winterizing - this to me is a bit of a misconception, Its not hard. Air doesn't freeze. So much like a travel trailer, if you get the water out then there is no problem. I added a valve to drain the heat exchanger, as well as the exhaust manifold. When I need to winterize I open both valves and all the water drains out and I'm done, winterized. I've done it that way for 11 years, zero issues. With my travel trailer its the same thing, drain all the water and blow out the lines, no issues.
Thank you, rockdog.
I like your idea with the valves to make winterizing easy. Smart!
On my sunbridge boat that had a sterndrive, I agree that having the swimgrid out back was really handy. Both for swimming and fishing- good place for the cooler, too.

I love my current diesels for the power and ridiculously low running costs. I think in bigger heavier boats the argument starts to sway back toward diesel I/O for that reason. 15000lb dry and probably pushing 18000lb filled to the tits and I don't EVER think about fuel costs going up or not getting up on step. I can't imagine what the twin 350s would cost to run.
I personally wouldn’t even consider your boat without the diesels. Very wise decision on your part...maybe when gas was 0.30 a litre. Then twin 454’s all the way!

I love my current diesels for the power and ridiculously low running costs. I think in bigger heavier boats the argument starts to sway back toward diesel I/O for that reason. 15000lb dry and probably pushing 18000lb filled to the tits and I don't EVER think about fuel costs going up or not getting up on step. I can't imagine what the twin 350s would cost to run.

More like twin 496's in that thing...my buddy had a 2011 searay 390 with twin 8.1s...only 140 gallons per hour at cruise of 18 knots, no wonder it never ever left the harbor hahaha

I think you meant trip 350s

Good points Foxsea but your wrong in a few things fuel economy with a inboard is and will be better on a inboard as your not winding it up a outboard usually runs at 4500 to 5000 rpm which equals more fuel like I said earlier I cruise at 3900 to 4100 rpm sucking back 10.4 GPH And I know what my buddys drink its usually 14 to 17 GPH with a 300 or a 350 over the course of a year with similar sized boat thats a huge savings I see it at the dock I bring down 2 jerry cans and I see the outboard boys with 6 jerry cans. if gas prices stayed at these prices I wouldnt care but last few years 1 jerry can cost 30 bucks so $60 compared to $180 is better isnt it? LOL per day.....

And ill add when a a outboard goes you normally have no warning POP BANG GONE. like ive said before comes down to maintenance and a schedule if your a guy who likes to do fu#$ all for taking care of **** get a outboard and run the #$%^ out of it and roll the dice ... ALL Boats need TLC I walk down the docks right now and appalled by the boats that are sitting there not being used one tinny is so full of water its listing to one side about a foot both outboards sitting in water CANT even see the drive as it so covered and yes owner knows (doesnt care) other boats covered in mold even the downriggers... thats the kind of boat you stay clear of!!!!!

Last edited:
Winterizing - this to me is a bit of a misconception, Its not hard. Air doesn't freeze. So much like a travel trailer, if you get the water out then there is no problem. I added a valve to drain the heat exchanger, as well as the exhaust manifold. When I need to winterize I open both valves and all the water drains out and I'm done, winterized. I've done it that way for 11 years, zero issues. With my travel trailer its the same thing, drain all the water and blow out the lines, no issues.

this new engine has a valve just for that you pull the pin out and pull this round handle and woosh the whole system is drained also the manifolds on this beast is aluminum with some special coating to prevent corrosion... they say last forever?? time will tell

Good points Foxsea but your wrong in a few things fuel economy with a inboard is and will be better on a inboard as your not winding it up a outboard usually runs at 4500 to 5000 rpm which equals more fuel like I said earlier I cruise at 3900 to 4100 rpm sucking back 10.4 GPH And I know what my buddys drink its usually 14 to 17 GPH with a 300 or a 350 over the course of a year with similar sized boat thats a huge savings I see it at the dock I bring down 2 jerry cans and I see the outboard boys with 6 jerry cans. if gas prices stayed at these prices I wouldnt care but last few years 1 jerry can cost 30 bucks so $60 compared to $180 is better isnt it? LOL per day.....

And ill add when a a outboard goes you normally have no warning POP BANG GONE. like ive said before comes down to maintenance and a schedule if your a guy who likes to do fu#$ all for taking care of **** get a outboard and run the #$%^ out of it and roll the dice ... ALL Boats need TLC I walk down the docks right now and appalled by the boats that are sitting there not being used one tinny is so full of water its listing to one side about a foot both outboards sitting in water CANT even see the drive as it so covered and yes owner knows (doesnt care) other boats covered in mold even the downriggers... thats the kind of boat you stay clear of!!!!!
Thanks! The fuel consumption figures came from a recent Boating article where they compared identical boats except one with a sterndrive and the other with an outboard. Ymmv. In my personal experience with sterndrives I thought my mileage was not bad for bigger motors. Presently, my little 17' fishboat has a F115 Yamaha that sips fuel, requires only routine maintenance and still runs like a champ 15 years later.

Agreed, it's pretty sad when people have a substantial investment in a boat and they don't take care of it. I've seen them too. You can only wonder what their homes and cars are like.

Leaving or having salt water in the bilge is what I believe to be the main killer over time. Its the corrosion on older motors that cause most of the problems. I don't know why people would leave water in the bilge to be 'sloshing' around. Turn on the bilge pump? That's just basic stuff, but its also what I mean by simply looking after it.

I don't necessarily agree with your second comment about engine load. The engines used in boats are not quite the same. Its not as simple as pull from a car and drop in a boat. Either way, these 'car' engines are also used in towing applications as well as many different industrial applications and they get run hard in some cases.
There is also a load on outboard motors. They both handle loads just fine.

Never had a boat where the bilge pump kept it dry. There are conditions at sea where what I say happened are true. Depends on where & when you boat.

I'd equate a marinized car engine to putting lipstick on a pig; it's still a pig. Different soft plugs, pistons, valves, cam & bearing material. So yeah, a marinized car engine will handle more load than a regular car engine, but not like an OB.

They all have their advantages & disadvantages. What we are all doing here is relating our knowledge & experience so that somebody can use our information to make the best decision for them.

Having the inboard down in the bilge is a problem as ericl said, it’s my number one dislike with the inboard. I keep my bilge pretty clean and run the pump often to get rid of any water but my motor is rusting up it was pretty disheartening when I repowered in 2015 and saw some of the parts starting to rust up a bit with in a year maybe if I recall. Nothing major but a little annoying, my bilage does stay pretty dry but collects some water from time to time

Thread title is a bit misleading. I think we're all talking here about sterndrives (inboard engine, outboard leg). To me, an inboard runs a straight shaft with a rudder for steering. Like what @turbomack had on his Shamrock. Annnyway.....

I think with modern outboards the gasoline sterndrive is obsolete for saltwater use. For diesels in under-40ft boats I think the Volvo diesels with drives can't be beat for efficiency.

I realize this is likely overkill but once the bilge is clean it is quick maintenance and then one look down there tells me if something is amiss. I personally think that clean stuff breaks way less than dirty so I like to make sure things are kept tidy.

When I grew up I used to help my dad scrub the bilge with soap and a brush. It was so clean in there you could see if anything was amiss, like an oil leak, or a belt rubbing and shedding bits of rubber.

Fair comments. Moisture can be an issue. I would argue though that I have seen some fair corrosion under the hoods of outboards. Seen and worked on some pretty seized up trim pumps and such. Its an issue there as well.

Thread title is a bit misleading. I think we're all talking here about sterndrives (inboard engine, outboard leg). To me, an inboard runs a straight shaft with a rudder for steering. Like what @turbomack had on his Shamrock. Annnyway.....

I think with modern outboards the gasoline sterndrive is obsolete for saltwater use. For diesels in under-40ft boats I think the Volvo diesels with drives can't be beat for efficiency.

When I grew up I used to help my dad scrub the bilge with soap and a brush. It was so clean in there you could see if anything was amiss, like an oil leak, or a belt rubbing and shedding bits of rubber.
Title cleared up.

I'm anal (about the bilge that is) I have a small shop-vac on board to suck it dry.

Just wanted to add that with an OB it is a total WITA to replace the hot water & high capacity battery charging options available with Balmar alternators/regulators. This mostly matters for trips of several days.

I am in the middle of a re-power now & went with the O/B's because I could not find a diesel shop that seems interested in doing the re-power; they are very short staffed down here in Everett & I spent a year getting jacked-around on waiting lists for the diesel shops. The OB shop is somebody I have been dealing with for decades.

Never had a boat where the bilge pump kept it dry. There are conditions at sea where what I say happened are true. Depends on where & when you boat.

I'd equate a marinized car engine to putting lipstick on a pig; it's still a pig. Different soft plugs, pistons, valves, cam & bearing material. So yeah, a marinized car engine will handle more load than a regular car engine, but not like an OB.

They all have their advantages & disadvantages. What we are all doing here is relating our knowledge & experience so that somebody can use our information to make the best decision for them.
you have a real hard-on for inboards, we get it. i hope you have a mechanical degree to back up all the bs you pedal. i do spec and build marine engines

In my personal experience with sterndrives
I have all these graph thing of foot lbs/ and a bunch of jargone and such seems greek to me LOL but also may add mine is a duo prop and once you have that system its incredible. I hear Zuk is doing a duo prop outboard like to whats that all about....
I had considered doing the pod and outboard but spending 45 grand really isnt smart for the return the way fishing is going...

I have all these graph thing of foot lbs/ and a bunch of jargone and such seems greek to me LOL but also may add mine is a duo prop and once you have that system its incredible. I hear Zuk is doing a duo prop outboard like to whats that all about....
I had considered doing the pod and outboard but spending 45 grand really isnt smart for the return the way fishing is going...
Zuki has a 350 duo prop I believe there gonna start doing 300 as well

Know anyone running one of those Suzuki duo props? I havent seen one locally yet but I sure do like the duo's on my VP leg.
Buddy of mine just repowered with one and says it's 30% more fuel efficient at 30mph cruise. 28' custom wolf aluminum with 350 yami. Not sure how he determined that. He's also a show-off so take it for what is worth.

Last edited:
Hopefully we're going to find out pretty soon...
Orca-Re-30-350-20-starboard-stern.jpg

Back