Inboard Engine Problem

baddogg

Crew Member
I posted this on another site but wanted to post it here also as it could be helpful to someone down the road.

Yesterday while out for a cruise I had to go back to the dock to pick up a late arrival. I putted around for about 10 minnutes waiting for him to arrive. After he jumped on board we headed out of the harbour. When it came time to accelerate the carburetor sputtered a bit and stalled the motor.

I went to re-start it and nothing but a grinding noise. It sounded like the bendix on the starter was spinning on the flywheel and would not turn the motor to start it. Being a somewhat half-assed mechanic, along with my appliance repair friend, a 3/4 assed mechanic, we deduced that I needed a new starter.

Before actually replacing the starter we tried to turn the engine over manually to see if we could engage the bendix. It was then we realized that we could barely turn the motor at all. The starter wasn't the problem.

Okay, here's what happened.

The flapper valves in the exhaust system are faulty and allowed water to back up into the cylinders of the engine creating a hydraulic effect.

Because the water won't burn off like gasoline, and there is no place for it to go, the pistons won't move and the engine won't turn.

Solution, remove the spark plugs allowing the engine to turn over. Turn it over several times to eliminate water from the cylinders. Clean and dry spark plugs. We did this with a torch, very effective., and of course, replace the flapper valves.

Here is an article on the subject, a little lengthy but informative just the same.

http://my.boatus.com/consumer/poweroutage.asp

Good thing this happened in the Nanaimo Harbour and not Bamfield last weekend.

I hope this is helpful to anyone else that may experience a failure like this. Might be worth changing the valves also if they've never been done.

I am so glad to hear all will be fine with your boat Baddog. I was wondering if you were still interested in one of our boats ;) The thetis get together is coming up the weekend of the 17th. 13 boats so far confirmed 30+ people. :D

Cheers ME

Have I mentioned recently how much I prefer outboards :)

Had a guest come up with a direct drive last week. First day out an electircal short in the ignition puts him out of commission. Second day out four exhaust valves crack..... new long block being installed as he flies back to Vancouver.....

Have I mentioned how much I prefer outboards ;)

I guess all engines have their problems but the number of I/O problems I see around the marina seem to be several factors higher than the outboard issues and seem to always cost more to repair...

Not a fact, just a personal observation....

that also happenes to peoples trucks when 4x4ing in water. Dont even try to crank the engine over with water in the cylenders

Hopefully you checked your oil as well. This problem can also be the result of a cracked manifold (happened to me last year on the eve of a China Creek trip).

Back