In the market for a 25hp outboard

Fish Camp

In febuary I blew up my 25 hp mercury outboard.In april I blew up my 15 hp for a smaller boat.In may I cooked my 2hp .Ended up with no salmon caught this year in the chuck.The last few months I have saved 5,555 $ towards a new 25hp outboard tiller long shaft.I have a oppertunity to purchase a etec 25 hp with one year warenty left and 15 hours of use for 3000$ ,or buy a new etec 25hp for 5000$ ,or a new yamaha 25 hp 4 stroke at 25% less weight of motor@4300$.boat capacity is 14' @900 #.Dose anyone have anything to say about either motors that I am concidering puchaseing ?going to repower soon as I am sure that is the motor I want.Any help is appriciated.FC

Remind me to never lend you any of my outboards...lol ;) I have a 25Hp Yamaha Long shaft tiller on a 15' SilverStreak. I think it's a 2010 that I paid $5000.00 taxes all in when I had the boat built. Super quiet and lots of power for my needs. I take it off the boat for the winter and made a stand for it. It is tall and a bit of a grunt to get it off the boat by yourself. At 6" I'm on my tippy toes to do it...lol.

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    385.7 KB · Views: 84
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    344.3 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
I don’t think you could go very wrong with either of your three choices. It all comes down to, do you need to have warranty peace of mind. If not the 15 hour motor seems like a good deal. I’m not sure that many warranty issues come forth within the warranty period, especially on the lower HP engines. If there is something wrong with the motor it should show itself in the year left of warranty.

If you need warranty peace of mind either one of the others would be great. The Etec would probably feel a little snappier on the throttle response.

Oly

I've used a tohatsu 9.8 and now 9.9 for past 15 years. Absolutely rock solid for me. Now have the EFI 9.9 which is awesome.

Reactions: 777
I went and baught a yammy2020F25LWHC yesterday .electric/manual start.Reason for choice was ,I didn't want to remove engine shroud on the water to add 2 stroke oil to the motor in tyhe Etec .I could drop the shroud or get oil in a body of water.Yammy weight @126# was a bonus as I could carry more fuel on board for longer runs and week long trips to remote areas.service manual is comming next week so I will be schooling myself for a few years before I need to replace things in the field in years to come.Found sg p to have the lowest price in canada,parkers matched and had the lowest price in canada, I didn't need to make a journy south.First time in my life I baught new,it feels good and right.Now to clean ,paint the boat ,insure,service trialler lights and bearrings and pick up portable motor ,tank, hose,spare prop and locking nut.thanks everyone for your replys the little bits helped me make the purchase. FC

I went and baught a yammy2020F25LWHC yesterday .electric/manual start.Reason for choice was ,I didn't want to remove engine shroud on the water to add 2 stroke oil to the motor in tyhe Etec .I could drop the shroud or get oil in a body of water.Yammy weight @126# was a bonus as I could carry more fuel on board for longer runs and week long trips to remote areas.service manual is comming next week so I will be schooling myself for a few years before I need to replace things in the field in years to come.Found sg p to have the lowest price in canada,parkers matched and had the lowest price in canada, I didn't need to make a journy south.First time in my life I baught new,it feels good and right.Now to clean ,paint the boat ,insure,service trialler lights and bearrings and pick up portable motor ,tank, hose,spare prop and locking nut.thanks everyone for your replys the little bits helped me make the purchase. FC

I bought the same motor last year, got a great deal in edmonton(I work up there) $4400 ........great motor, really liked the little button that bumps up RPM

I have a 25 hp Yamaha 4 stroke (2014) on my 14’ welded aluminum. Awesome motor! Quiet, great on fuel and plenty of power. Maintenance is easy to do on your own. I’d buy another one again. With the stock prop, it will get up to 26 mph on a calm day.

Hey guys, as @Kildonan said, I run an etec but 30hp (long shaft) on a 14 foot SSV Lund. I LOVE this motor, but before I get into my experience, I just want to say that you really can't go wrong with any new outboard these days, it really comes down to your needs and likes.

I think you've made a great choice there @Fish Camp. I actually had a bead on the yammy F25C, but I wanted power trim and tilt with the tiller (which you can't get with the yammy unless you have a console); I just don't like hanging over the back of the boat to lift a motor. Plus it gives you a nice control bonus. You can trim it out under power to adjust for load and water conditions or trim up on a tight trolling turn to avoid entanglement of the rigger lines.

The other big reasons why I went with the etec was ease of maintenance: no oil changes, integrated hose port for easy flushing and self fogging, plus I wanted the torque of the 2 stroke so I could use the boat for tubing the kids, which is really awesome btw. With 2 adults and 2 kids in the boat, I was still able to get my 200# brother in law on plane!

So my etec is a 2018 bought in April of that year. It’s the same chassis as the 25. I paid $5800 taxes in from Island Marine in Sidney, Parker carries them as well. Was $250 more for the 30 hp so I figured why not, let's have some fun. Didn't need it though. Power is actually too much for this boat. On a calm day, with 2 guys and all the trolling gear I can get it close to 30mph, but I really don't know it's top end for sure as I don't like going that fast in a small boat. I usually cruise around 20mph.

Also, mine does have OEM power trim and tilt with the tiller, which does make the motor 25% heavier than the long shaft F25c as Fish Camp noted. If you compare apples to apples, the comparative etec is only 10% heavier. And in the same vain, competitively priced. Although, power trim and tilt does require a bolt on so install was an additional 550$.

Concerning oil fill up....I've used around a litre of oil or so in close to 100 hours of use....mostly trolling. So unless you're parked at a dock, filling is not an issue.

In terms of warranty, the base on etecs is 5 years now. I actually have a 10year on mine as part of a boat show special. And they stand by it. I noticed a small quarter sized paint bubble under the lower drain hole a year into use (even with flushing after each trip) and the dealer replaced the lower unit no questioned asked. I was impressed.

Aside from that I've had no issues. One thing you will notice with these motors is white smoke sometimes coming out at the exhaust port. This is not smoke, it's actually steam and it's part of the cooling system. Occurs mostly coming off step or trolling for long periods of time. Did wig me out at first though. :eek:

For me, I love this motor. Instant plane, sips fuel, torque is ridiculous, no oil changes, easy to flush, self fogging, centre tiller position, and like the yammy, has the precision control throttle which is awesome for trolling. And I love the sound of it. Has a super quiet purr, quite different to equivalent 4 strokes I've heard.

Cheers

Last edited:
Thanks KC & Iw .Now I want a tack to break the motor in with.Thinking tiny tack .seems easy enough to install.then I might be thinking...now about puchaseing a prop for back up once understood the motor for couple several hours.Is there a tach that I should purchase for this motor?

Tiny tachs are easy to install, but not that accurate (in my experience) at lower rpm. Great though for figuring out which prop you need.

I have had the boat out to the lake 3 times solo with 100lbs of gear in the bow and the cycling of the low rpm's and hi rpm's are compleated after 6.8 hrs of working the throtle. The tach I baught was a trail tach ,and fassened it with goop clear to the face plate of handle infront of motor.One wire comes out of the digital tach hour meter and wraps around a plug wire. Tach reads 810 rpm's at lowest and 5885 at WOT.GPS reads 1.8 mph lowest and 28 mph at WOT. seems there is vibration at 1400-1800 rpm's and again at 5400-5885 rpm's .Now I need to choose a spare prop ,running now stock aluminum 9 7/8 x 11 1/4 .Is there a way to get rid of the vibration by repropping ?

Back