Important mtg about chinook fishing in Victoria

I guess what I'm saying is that June 30th will become the permanent end date for the restriction, until the runs collapse further and its extended again. I want the runs rebuilt not the slowing of the end.

I agree with you profisher, once DFO has a restriction in place it becomes the "status quo" and it would take a small miracle to lift it.

There are discussions continuing with DFO on the above "proposal". The Integrated Harvest Planning Committee, which has SFAB representation, meet on Thursday and Friday this week and will further work on the 2010 IFMP. Know that your SFAB reps (Victoria local and higher up) are doing everything they can to avoid the destruction of our important fishery off Victoria/Sooke, while at the same time affording protection to the Fraser stream type chinook.

The earlier comments on a comprehensive recovery plan for all the chinook stocks of concern are very very important! We must, and I can't emphasize that enough, WE MUST hold the government and DFO (who are ultimately responsible) accountable for initiating comprehensive recovery plans for all these fish. Those plans MUST include adequate WATER in the creeks year round, habitat restoration, enhancement of the affected stocks and improved stock monitoring. We have seen time and time again that managing fisheries down to zero does not make a recovery plan and tragically for the fish and those who rely on their abundance for food and fisheries merely affords a catastrophe. But it's ideal tool for government as it is cheap and shows the the world something is being done, plus gets ministers past the next election cycle unscathed.

Accountability

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

I will be the first in saying THANK YOU </u> persoanlly, (Chris) aka governor for all your hard work you do for the sportfishing people on the lower island it is very much appreciated.
Keep up the good work and keep fighting for us.

Thanks again

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

quote:We have seen time and time again that managing fisheries down to zero does not make a recovery plan and tragically for the fish and those who rely on their abundance for food and fisheries merely affords a catastrophe.

If someone still needs a living proof of that - than here - read the part about the current status of the Atlantic Cod. Once the genpool is too far depleted it will be too late to save this species.
Ask 90% of the northern european countries who used to have abundant salmon stocks in their rivers how successful they are now trying to bring the salmon back from 99% loss. Dismal.
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2010/05/03/committee-report-endangered-species.html

I am not a pessimist but mark my words: in 5 years we will see broad salmon fishery closures in most of BC similar to California and Oregon during the last few years, and in 10 years significant salmon stocks will be on the endangered species list in BC and probably beyond repair IF there won't be a drastic change in the fishery management style soon.

I appreciate the kudos guys. Please know I do this because our fishery and the really decent folks in the local angling community are truly worth fighting for!

And just so you all know DFO are under intense pressure to act too (read below today's press release). DFO's proposed measures for Victoria (and the rest of the SoG for that matter) could have been a whole lot worse. So far they are not looking to shut us down. The emerging extension maybe a bitter pill to swallow folks but the alternative ain't pretty either. And remember the SFAB are trying very hard to keep the damage to a minimum for all of us.

FRASER RIVER FIRST NATIONS CALL FOR THE RESIGNATION OF MINISTER OF FISHERIES & OCEANS DUE TO POOR MANAGEMENT OF FRASER RIVER CHINOOK

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

MAY 4, 2010

First Nations on British Columbia’s Fraser River, from the Interior to the Coast, are demanding the resignation of the Minister of Fisheries & Oceans, Gail Shea, over her department’s abject failure to effectively manage Fraser River Chinook.

The demand for Minister’s resignation comes after repeated attempts by the First Nations to get Fisheries & Oceans Canada (DFO) to close both saltwater based sport and commercial salmon fisheries in the period April to June in order to protect endangered Early Run Fraser Chinook. Spring Chinook numbers have plummeted over the past few years to the point where some of these stocks of fish face certain extirpation if firm measures are not taken immediately to protect them.

The First Nations have held a series of meetings to discuss the status of Chinook runs and they have decided not to fish Chinook in the period of April to June, the time frame that Chinook are migrating through their traditional homelands. The DFO gave a presentation on “Fraser Chinook Status and Proposed Planning Approach” in which they admitted that Escapements are at critical conservation levels for interior Fraser Spring 4(2) Chinook. Nicola escapement was less 500 and 4(2) aggregate escapement averaged only 27% of brood and only 9% of spawners at MSY.” While the DFO has belatedly agreed to a series of spot closures to protect Chinook, these closures are considered by First Nations to be wholly inadequate. The First Nations want and expect the DFO to shut down all marine sport and commercial fisheries that could impact Early Chinook destined for the Fraser River. Regrettably, DFO has steadfastly refused to adopt the sweeping and necessary measures demanded by the First Nations. By allowing marine based sport fisheries to continue, the DFO is thumbing its nose at the Supreme Court of Canada decision in R. vs. Sparrow which accords the aboriginal fishery a priority second only to conservation and ahead of both the sport and commercial fisheries. And the continued refusal by DFO to put the brakes on marine based sport fisheries for Early Chinook will only serve to drive these fish closer to extinction.

Chief Fred Sampson of the Nicola Tribal Association asked all First Nations to support his community’s efforts to protect and restore Chinook by refraining from fishing. With respect to three tributaries in his people’s territory, Chief Sampson stated in an April 14, 2010 letter that in “2009, for these endangered stocks, we had spawning counts of 138, 26 and 461 fish respectively. This is a recipe for extirpation. We are extremely grateful for all those First Nations who have managed to refrain from harvesting these early-timed Chinook. We know how much these first Chinook of the year mean to you – they mean the same to us. We know that the DFO continues to allow sport fisheries to occur on these stocks right now.”

In a joint statement, Fraser River First Nations declared that “the call for the Minister’s resignation is warranted given that these extremely low runs are the product of years of mismanagement of the Chinook fishery by DFO. The department’s refusal to close the fisheries that could impact early-timed Fraser Chinook is unconscionable. At this rate, our early Chinook will soon be extinct, and all of us will lose a key part of our culture and our livelihood. A second inquiry will soon be required with respect to Chinook, as they are disappearing as surely as the Sockeye stocks, the topic of the current Cohen Inquiry. Minister Shea must be held accountable. Her refusal to answer our letters, which ask the department to take action to save these Fraser Chinook stocks, is irresponsible and unacceptable in light of the very serious conservation concerns,” said Chief Sampson.

There are 94 First Nations between the mouth of the Fraser River and its upper tributaries. More than one half of the province’s 130,000 First Nations citizens make their home of the Fraser River.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

I could live with a complete shutdown of all fisheries if it comes with a truly workable speedy recovery plan. A closure that includes intense surveillance of all waters that these fish frequent. Strict penalties for any infractions by ANYONE caught poaching!!! The end goal, sustainable runs with healthy native, sport and commercial fisheries once again. Anything less is an insult to us all.

I would agree to a complete shutdown for all if there was actual enforcement for all sectors. However, that will not be the case as above the mouth of the Harrison there were drift netting again while we sturge fished. Several calls to the co's and nothing shown for it. They were definetly doing VERY good in a few of there sets.

The great hode

When was this and exactly where?
Did you take photos?

quote:Originally posted by Truth

I would agree to a complete shutdown for all if there was actual enforcement for all sectors. However, that will not be the case as above the mouth of the Harrison there were drift netting again while we sturge fished. Several calls to the co's and nothing shown for it. They were definetly doing VERY good in a few of there sets.

The great hode

I'm good with it . Shut it down for everyone. See you in a couple years for some descent numbers. I only hope that they don't allow a blood bath come that time because of greater than normal numbers.

Idiots.

HL

[...perhaps it is in fact time to join all sectors to become one force in order to help establish & create sustainable opportunities for our futures by putting FISH FIRST, thereby creating substantial change together!

X 2 !!!!!

Good to see were not pointing fingers at one another for a resolution on this prob. Where did this writer get his facts from? I guess the writer hasnt tried to navigate his boat up the Fraser through the FN nets strewn from one side to the other for MILES up the river fishing for there food for the yr. I thought the FN and the Sports Fishery were making progress on working together on this until I read this article. To blaim the JDF sports fishery on all this is just ludicrous. Lets just see if the Sports fishery is shut down and the FN arent what will happen then???? This article really concerns me. What is all this talk been on all sectors working together what a load of XXXX.

kittyjuly1409055-1.jpg

Man those numbers sure don't jive with the DFO mortality figures ??
In his article Hume says 12 % vs. DFO at 1.2% for Juan de fuca
sport sector. :(

On the basis of such grim numbers, Sampson wrote, the tribal association will forgo its aboriginal right to harvest fish. It will enforce a self-imposed moratorium on fishing in its watersheds. But it wants DFO to impose a simultaneous closure for recreational and commercial fisheries where migrating Fraser chinook are present.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/...+will+Ottawa/2988302/story.html#ixzz0n4mxcP4l

I retract that last bit whats good for one should be good for all hope its all policed if this did happen, and also like said when the stocks return lets learn from our mistakes and not let it happen again.

kittyjuly1409055-1.jpg

you expect us to believe our 'take' of all salmon went from 0.42% to 30% in one year?? Thats a total crock and DFO knows it (or the Sun writer didn't understand what the numbers meant and that number is WAY lower). I'm totally fine with shutting it right down, but that damn well includes the whole river as well. That's my issue. First nations proposes that they will 'recommend' that they don't fish the river but they can't enforce what each tribe does? All or nothing cause I know damn well unless its enforced, the rivers will still be fished and all this is moot!

Edit: actually, I'm even having trouble wrapping my head around it, so 2008 could be 0.42% or 3.42%...maybe someone can confirm which way the math goes. Still an 'unbelievable' jump in my books regardless the number. Say for every 1000 fish that go up the river, 350 were killed (as per the pie) - now did we catch 1.2% of those 350 fish? That is what derived the 0.42%, but I guess the 30% would mean u take 1000/350 x 1.2% = 3.42%...lmao Beats me - just the way they report it makes you overthink, but at least that would be apples to apples 3.42% up to 30% in 1 year???

The DFO studies attribute almost 12 per cent of last year's mortalities for Fraser-bound chinook stocks to sport anglers in the Strait of Juan de Fuca. Overall, sport anglers killed twice as many Fraser chinook as the total traditional aboriginal fishery in 2009. Figures suggest that sport anglers now catch about 30 per cent of all chinook and coho.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/...+will+Ottawa/2988302/story.html#ixzz0n4rHGWPa

So if the #s are right the FN fishery of the Frase was around 60% mortality and the lucky other 10% squeezed by to Spawn.

kittyjuly1409055-1.jpg

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

Man those numbers sure don't jive with the DFO mortality figures ??
In his article Hume says 12 % vs. DFO at 1.2% for Juan de fuca
sport sector. :(

12% was last year craven...that does reflect the report just out (whether its right is another issue) - the 1.2% was the 2008 numbers (1.2% of the 35% total mortality)....

Back