Important mtg about chinook fishing in Victoria

Fraser still pretty low right now so those nets are very effective. OBD I will be bringing my sons camera out with me next. 2 springs is all they reported lol!!!

The great hode

The jdf is shut down to these fish so i thought the indians weren't going to target them either what the hells goin on!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been holding off but i think i need a few stickers now unknown.

That is what annoys me to no end. They natives preach the high ground, and want us shut down completely. Make us look like greedy bastards with the intent to keep fishing until the last fish...when in fact they want them all to themselves. Their chiefs ask for voluntary non-targeting of early Chinook but most individuals fish anyway. We on the other hand comply with whatever DFO throws at us, whether we agree or not. In 2008 we excepted an extra week of hatchery clipped only on those stocks and all the small pieces in that 2008 total catch pie shank accordingly. Did those extra fish make it to spawn, NO the natives took advantage of the extra fish made available and took an extra 4% over 2006. So in other words we sporties in 19 & 20 release fish with the intent of helping the runs rebuild but only feed the true greedy bastards!!! Sorry nothing racist here just the facts! We still need to work with them, but they make it very hard.

The last update to the data looks like the week ending April 4, 2010. When new data is updated it will be interesting to compare the numbers that are reported this year to previous years. A quick check of past data looks like the numbers will jump in May.

Personally I think if FN needs to be curbing their take on these fish, because of conservation concerns, than we have a larger problem. This is the Fraser we are talking about. There should be tens of thousands of fish. Where did they go?

This is “not” a “new” issue! The Fraser Chinook runs have been declining/decreasing and under study for years, especially the “early” runs!

This “SHOULD NOT” be about the “allocation” of a stock that is on the verge of and about to become extinct – the “early” runs! The “numbers” that keep being thrown around… actually mean “NOTHING”! Let’s assume the entire fishery is shut down and as a result only one (1) head was turned-in, caught in area 20? The numbers would then look like this:
1. Fraser First Nations - .0%
2. Nicola Mouth Sport – .0%
3. Georgia Strait - .0%
4. USA - .0%
5. Fraser River Sport - .0%
6. Juan de Fuca area 19/20 – 100.%
7. NBC Troll - .0%
8. Albion Test Fishery - .0%

Now area 20 just caught 100%? Hmmm, so what do those numbers really mean?

Take this into consideration:
“Migration characteristics of these stocks do not coincide with periods of heavy fishing activity throughout most of their migratory route. These stocks are usually not affected by adverse weather conditions (high water, high water temperature) but have been found to display low productivity. Review of recent data suggests that the First Nation fishery in the lower Fraser River exerts the highest harvest rate on these early timed Chinook stocks. “ (Bailey et al. CSAS 2001/134)

“Fraser River chinook migrating along northern (Johnstone Strait) and southern (Juan de Fuca Strait) approach routes to the Fraser River are harvested in a number of fisheries. These fish are taken as by-catch in sockeye net fisheries (seine and gillnet) in Johnstone Strait, Juan de Fuca Strait, Fraser River and Alaska. In addition, there are directed fisheries for chinook by WCVI, North Coast and Alaska troll fisheries.

The principal U.S. fisheries harvesting Fraser River chinook are the net fisheries in Juan de Fuca Strait, the San Juan Islands area, and off Point Roberts. The Fraser chinook catch taken in Southeast Alaska is unknown but thought to be smaller.

Chinook are also harvested in Aboriginal food fisheries and recreational fisheries throughout the Fraser watershed.

Once sockeye enter the Fraser River, management actions are driven by considerations for those stocks and chinook are taken as by-catch. Conservation concerns for steelhead and coho salmon have resulted in net fisheries being curtailed from early September to mid October in recent years.

Stock ID information indicates that those fish entering the river from February to July 15 are bound for tributary systems in the lower Thompson basin, the middle and upper Fraser basins, as well as the Birkenhead River in the Harrison River system. These stocks are understood to have a low productivity and individual stocks range in size from 100 to > 10,000 spawners.

Pre-season consultations with Lower Fraser First Nations resulted in an agreed to fishing regime that was designed to reduce the impacts on the earliest timed chinook stocks. This was accomplished by reductions in fishing times from those set the previous year for Lower Fraser First Nations.”
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/firstnations/2006FrasRvrChkInformDocument.pdf

Concerning DFO’s comments about the “Fraser chinook catch taken in Southeast Alaska is unknown but thought to be smaller”. I guess they didn’t have internet access in 2006 as the following was published:
http://www.genetics.cf.adfg.state.ak.us/publish/posters/chinook_migration_03.pdf
Lower Fraser River, Fraser River Thompson River , Mid and Upper Fraser – was very much part of the SEAK reduction?

First Nation catch records of Chinook from 2004 through 2009 are as follows:
Dec 27, 2009 = 28,202 – Jun 28 = 6,562
Dec 28, 2008 = 21,283 – Jun 29 = 6.265
Dec 16, 2007 = 17,216 – Jun 24 = 3210
Dec 31, 2006 = 18,003 – Jun 25 = 6,951
Dec 04, 2005 = 22,843 –Jun 25 = 7,275
Dec 12, 2004 = 34,535 – Jun 27 = 15,525

Those numbers in “JUNE” are very much “early” return Chinook - Numbers can be manipulated anyway you want, but “If” this was truly about “CONSERVATION” – shut it down to “ALL”! But, don't get caught in the "polical" "allocation" of a stock to extinction!

Guess I am starting “shi!t”, again? :D

Heard from a reliable source that DFO wants to extend the slot into july, But the guys involved on our side are trying for June 17th. Father's day weekend with the BC family fishing weekend (juan de fuca derby);) Hopefully

Believe me this year it's complicated, taking up a lot of time and energy by all involved and still no decision has been reached as yet. KCW - not to throw water on your post but rumours are free and take them at face value, until we actually read DFO's fisheries notice(s) (when it/they come out) we just do not know what measures will be put in place.

On one side of the coin there has been a call by some to shut the Victoria and Sooke chinook fishery down altogether from March 1 to June 30 while certain Fraser stream-type chinook are around. DFO's recent correspondence "proposed" the existing ET Fraser restrictions that started March 1st carry on after May 21 through until June 30. And the SFAB has made a conservation based proposal to DFO, which is currently under consideration. As many know already the chinook stock mix changes containing a lesser percentage of hatchery marked fish as the season progresses and this is what is making the decision for DFO way more complicated.

Your Victoria SFAB reps, the Chinook and Coho Working Group of the SFAB and several respected local anglers are doing everything they can to try and avoid any unnecessary destruction of the public fishery off Victoria and Sooke in June and July.

While it is only a few days until May 21st, in my opinion no news from DFO can not be read either way yet. Although I personally want to imagine the "No news is good news" syndrome. I am guessing there will be some form of official notice next week to extend the current restrictions for a short time allowing a few more days for a decision to be reached. As we all recognize the regulation regime coming for the Fraser 4-2 chinook will not be a one year deal and we have seen how once a fishery is lost to regulations it very rarely comes back. So please recognize DFO have not agreed to shut us down as per certain demands they received. And yes, eventhough they publically made a proposal of what restrictions maybe coming, we should all support DFO here for looking seriously at the SFAB option which meets our objectives to maintian a viable fishery while at the same time making a significant conservation effort around those stocks of concern.

And everyone needs to know your "A Team" is doing a remarkable job behind the scenes for your fishing interests today and in the future. Let's also hope and pray for some good news.

Fingers crossed!

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

And the little positive news that I can share as fact ...

Some may know that in mid April there was a bilateral meeting in Richmond between some important FN chiefs, their fisheries representatives and specific members of the SFAB to talk through Fraser 4-2 chinook challenges and find common ground. Being one of the participants in that meeting I can say I came away feeling positive that a very important first step had taken place.

Regretfully, our second meeting scheduled for May 3 was abruptly cancelled by one of the FN groups because DFO had not closed the fishery as FN had demanded. The very good news I can report here is that FN have come back to the SFAB and asked that we reconvene in June to pick up our discussions where they left off. This will hopefully signal a new positive relationship where we can both focus on the fish and not overly focusing on who harvests the last one. But more about deciding how to rebuild the stocks of concern back to their former abundance through comprehensive recovery plans. We urgently need to find ways to assist certain chinook stocks for the future, so FN can catch fish to eat and participate in their rich cultural heritage at the same time we can return to healthy sustainable fisheries.

In my opinion if this bilateral arrangement succeeds, it could be a powerful force in encouraging government to act in securing the funds needed for the chinook recovery plans, the enhancement programs and tackling the lack of water in some of those interior streams.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

Does anyone know why certain pages on this site go extra wide and won't fit into a screen width? I have seen it before where large JPEG pictures are displayed but on page 11 it is doing it too [?]

quote:Originally posted by Governor

Does anyone know why certain pages on this site go extra wide and won't fit into a screen width? I have seen it before where large JPEG pictures are displayed but on page 11 it is doing it too [?]

Gov I think the page went wacky after smiley66 posted.
Could be the first line he copy pasted that was in a different font one page back.

Just phoned DFO-Victoria,lady there said a notice is coming out soon to extended the Slot Size Reguation in Area 19 & 20 until further notice. That is all she knew or would say.

And there in lies the difficulty with DFO staff who do not understand the effects of using terms like ..." until further notice". That phrase psychologically seems to me to imply long term, perhaps even an indefinite connotion to it. It is also perceived as a negative statement that might scare the heck out of most anglers who may or may not visit an area or plan a fishing trip based on opportunity to fish.

As I understand it, what is coming from DFO later this week is a fisheries notice that will extend the existing ET Fraser restrictions already in place temporarily</u> as DFO need a little extra time to decide on a 2010 Fraser 4-2 management plan and consult stakeholders. I have already specifically requested of DFO that such negative wording not be included in the notice.

Back