Important Chinook Information - Feedback Required

Don't hold your breath.
Near two decades of DNA and tagged fish recaptures from Area G PROVE their catch is 95% plus US origin.
Off the water until August.
Quota slashed to 8K pieces.
Due to "concerns with Fraser River Stocks Of Concern".
All LIES!

Their Agenda is set.
Wishing the Best of Luck for all in this swamp!!

Nog
Yeah its all total ********

Is this what you were referring to @charlie415 ? As you can see, the 'nets in the river' (by which I assume you mean FN) take no where near the 50% number you reference. While all sectors (FN, Rec, Comm) have an impact on chinook, the vast majority of fish still make it back to the spawning grounds. This is why I can't stand to hear the argument "tighten up restrictions on fishing and you'll save the whales". The numbers just don't add up.

Fraser CWT mortalities.jpg

I seen a graph a while ago showing the percentages of chinook taken by the different user groups. Can't find where it was. Seem to recall sport fishing took about 7% of the chinook catch and nets in the river took closer to 50%. Has anyone see this document?

Is this what you were referring to @charlie415 ? As you can see, the 'nets in the river' (by which I assume you mean FN) take no where near the 50% number you reference. While all sectors (FN, Rec, Comm) have an impact on chinook, the vast majority of fish still make it back to the spawning grounds. This is why I can't stand to hear the argument "tighten up restrictions on fishing and you'll save the whales". The numbers just don't add up.

View attachment 43816

Of the reported catch for the upper Fraser FN take 50% 7.48/14.5, So trying to squeeze more fish from the public fishery or the troll fishery makes little sense. For protecting the spring Fraser Chinook. Cutting the FN nets make sense

Restricting the SOG to protect Harrison makes some sense I suppose but what are you really hoping to squeeze out of the rec sector maybe 4%? of which most are hatchery fish. I guess it makes about as much sense as upping the production of hatchery fish out of Chilliwack for the whales.

We all remember our order of operations from math class right?

1) Conservation
2) FN FSC
3) Rec (for chinook/coho)
4) Comm (for chinook/coho)

Cutting FN fisheries ahead of dealing with Rec and Comm chinook fisheries just aint gonna happen. Perhaps shifting FN effort from certain stocks to concern to more productive stocks is more wishful thinking?

Of the reported catch for the upper Fraser FN take 50% 7.48/14.5, So trying to squeeze more fish from the public fishery or the troll fishery makes little sense. For protecting the spring Fraser Chinook. Cutting the FN nets make sense

Restricting the SOG to protect Harrison makes some sense I suppose but what are you really hoping to squeeze out of the rec sector maybe 4%? of which most are hatchery fish. I guess it makes about as much sense as upping the production of hatchery fish out of Chilliwack for the whales.

We all remember our order of operations from math class right?

1) Conservation
2) FN FSC
3) Rec (for chinook/coho)
4) Comm (for chinook/coho)

Cutting FN fisheries ahead of dealing with Rec and Comm chinook fisheries just aint gonna happen.

Oh I am well aware of it, RIP upper fraser chinook.

Perhaps shifting FN effort from certain stocks to concern to more productive stocks is more wishful thinking?

ITs gonna have to be a necessity if we care about these stocks.

http://www.pacificangler.ca/pacific...vSljYk7QUPjaBR0SObCIwh4nd09VDxVBgga2jhfxip2p4

SALTWATER FISHING REPORTS
Vancouver Saltwater Salmon Fishing Report/DFO PROPOSED MANAGEMENT MEASURES

Here is the quick winter chinook report. The fishing has been consistent in the Harbour and in Howe Sound, much like the last few reports, but there are much more pressing matters to discuss, so read on…

We have received a lot of calls these past 2 weeks about some of the proposed management measures for chinook in 2019. This is a complicated issue so I am going to do my best to explain it succinctly as well assist you in actions you need to take in order to preserve your recreational access to these fish. I know we are all very busy, but if you want to fish for chinook this year you best keep reading, read the DFO letter in the link, and write your own letter to DFO.

First a bit of background as there are a variety of chinook types, so bear with me. Some spend 2 years in river before they leave for the ocean and some spend very little time in river as they leave the same year they hatch. Some chinook live in our local waters, while others hang out off the West Coast of Vancouver Island, while yet others go much further afield. So as you can see, the life history of chinook is very diverse. Each river and its specific environmental conditions and subsequent chinook population is unique. As you can imagine, some are doing well while others are facing significant challenges. Some real life examples were seen in 2018 where there were very strong returns of chinook on the Cowichan River and Puntledge River while at the same time certain Fraser River chinook stocks had very low returns.

So how do we manage different populations of chinook in order to provide access to the recreational angler for the healthy chinook stocks, yet protect the weaker chinook stocks? That is a complicated scenario, but there are answers. DFO does have the data to know the when and where of chinook interception from all user groups including commercial, recreational, and First Nations. From here they do their best to come up with a management policy to allow sustainable harvest of some chinook stocks while protecting others. It is a very difficult and unenviable position to be in, especially in regards to Fraser River chinook stocks that spend 2 years in the river (known as 4.2 and 5.2) that are not responding well to current environmental conditions.

So that leads us to where we are today and I encourage you to read this document – DFO Chinook Management Approach Letter – so you can understand the current situation in detail and how it might affect your opportunities to sport fish. Keep in mind that this document is intended to communicate the Department’s approach for developing fisheries management actions to address conservation concerns for Fraser River Chinook in 2019. I want to specifically point out this is not a document where you need to choose Scenario A or B, as frankly neither are very desirable in my humble opinion. What you do need to do is write a letter to DFO telling them how important sport fishing for chinook is to you both socially and economically. Your letters are having an impact, and we need to keep them coming.

Letter Guidelines:

• Begin by describing your connection and history with the fishery. Are you a business? Are you a local angler? Is fishing part of your family traditions? Do your children enjoy fishing? Do you fish for food?
  • How does angling activity impact your life and your family?
  • If you are a business, how many people do you employ? How long have you been active in the 
community? How dependent are you on fishing?
  • What will be the impact of scenario “A” on your business, employees, family and community? Don’t 
be afraid to use powerful language, but never resort to foul language.
  • Do not recommend scenario “B”. Focus on the impact of scenario “A”. By choosing scenario “B” you 
will limit our ability to improve upon it. This will be especially important for anglers in the Juan de 
Fuca and Georgia Strait.
  • Restrict your letter to just one page.
  • Talk to your friends and associates and encourage them to send letters!
Key Messaging regarding the BC sport fishing sector (2016 data):

• $1.1 billion in annual sales
  • $398 million GDP contribution to BC
  • 9000 jobs resulting in 3950 person-years of employment
  • The public fishery is the single largest economic driver of all BC fisheries, yet harvests less than 15% 
of halibut and 10% of salmon coast wide. It is estimated that the public fishery accounts for less than 4% of all fish harvested in BC.
Letters must be received by DFO before March 1st, 2019

Send them to:

DFO.PacificSalmonRMT-EGRSaumonduPacifique.MPO@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Jeff.grout@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Rebecca.Reid@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

View attachment 43816
Pinnipeds aren’t being accounted for in these graphs. The fish aren’t making if back to the spawning grounds (or out of them for that matter) because of pinnipeds. It’s pinnipeds, ladies and gentlemen
Theres more of them then there are of us and they fish 365 days a year and 366 on leap years with no daily or annual limits or slot size retentions. They can also fish at pender bluffs or anywhere north of sooke that they desire.

There are OOO's of theories of what is happening to all the Salmon on the Coast... Me, I have live all my life on Vancouver Island. In the 60's...70's..& 80s - our family enjoyed the bounty of the sea...Salmon, cod, halibut (other rock fish), Prawn, crab...and all typs of shell fish.... Yup...hard to believe them days are gone.

If I wanted a fresh salmon...30 min I was on the water and in 10-30 min, we had a fresh fish... I remember the days when hugh kelp harvesting barges stripped the coast line of the 100 metre wide kelp bed along the shore line. Herring 2 pounds.. now we see 1-2 ft thick of roe washed up on the beaches... YUP... When is that the herring smolts imerge...hmm right around the time the year-ling salmon return to the ocean.... then there is the shrimp... We drag for OOOs of tons in the winter and early spring...yup right around the time they spawn.... So, when do the shrimp spawn hatch...right around the time (or just before the herring hatch AND the returning salmon... Scientists and biologist will tell a very different story I am sure. but my guess is that MANY SPEICIES of fish feed on both shrimp and herring... Oh and Whales and Seal / Sealions... birds... Oh and the cod or bottom fish...

Needle fish, smelt, hoolegins....it was always fun to catch a few in the light of the moon...Yup...hard to believe them days are gone. If we destroy the habitat, then fish tonnes of herring for row...we take a chuck out of that eco-system for sustaining the health and popupation of Salmon...whether they are yearling Juveniles retuning to the ocean or mature stock.

I grew up on near a local river... Salmon, trout, steelhead... its true, one could walk on the fish there were so many... Logging, mining, farming, hydro-lines, golf course ALL USE Hurbicide sprays, un-due care with roads and hwy building... Sure there are a few rivers with a few fish coming to spawn...but what happened to all the salmon? Trees on the hills slow snow melt I think... Now with a quick melting snow pack, rivers and streams are blown out by the hugh rush of spring freshet snow melt. I am not sure what considerations are made ...province say...don't log within 50 feet of a stream

Everyone seems have some idea for the disapearance of the salmon...but know one seems to have a solution... My 82 yr old father says its the sprays used which killed the streams; Agent Orange has been used to year...now they call it Hurbicide. Science says its Global Warming...and we need to do more studies...they have been stuying for 50yrs.... DFO thinks we are over fishing the species and need more regualtion and yet there are fewer fisherman today than ever. Some public voices says its the fish farms with all their polutants and deceases. Its like everyone is fighting for a solution. We know we are adding more and more pollutants to our lands, rivers & streams, (water systems), oceans, air... Last year in one afternoon, in the boat I was on, we caught around 30 salmon...and retained NONE.. Half those fish will die and some were dead.

Ahhhh, I could go on and on...

So, what has happened in the last 25-30 years.

I think I found where the salmon went...front page of local qualicum beach paper today taken at french creek....
upload_2019-2-26_16-25-5.jpeg

Pinnipeds aren’t being accounted for in these graphs. The fish aren’t making if back to the spawning grounds (or out of them for that matter) because of pinnipeds. It’s pinnipeds, ladies and gentlemen
Theres more of them then there are of us and they fish 365 days a year and 366 on leap years with no daily or annual limits or slot size retentions. They can also fish at pender bluffs or anywhere north of sooke that they desire.

It isn't just that. I wish it was that easy. It is sum of many issues in the ecosystem. Kind of like whale starving argument. Its not just one thing.

It isn't just that. I wish it was that easy. It is sum of many issues in the ecosystem. Kind of like whale starving argument. Its not just one thing.
Agreed. But it is the biggest consumption of Chinook salmon. If not, please explain one that’s bigger.

Is SFAB and other orgs suggesting area 12 not be restricted under an option C due to lack of ANY science to support it? All it will do is hurt small towns like port McNeill. Port hardy and telegraph cove etc.

Is SFAB and other orgs suggesting area 12 not be restricted under an option C due to lack of ANY science to support it? All it will do is hurt small towns like port McNeill. Port hardy and telegraph cove etc.

The pain that has been inflicted on the South Island for a decade has finally expanded north.. We did log books, creel, DNA, etc and they still shut us down... Any of that going on up there?

WOW ok ill bite area 12 does not effect salmon of certain interests?? going to make this plain and simple ..Where do they swim by then??
oh i forgot they fly over them spots like our areas that are closed....

The pain that has been inflicted on the South Island for a decade has finally expanded north.. We did log books, creel, DNA, etc and they still shut us down... Any of that going on up there?

It was really too bad you missed the guide/logbook meeting on sat. You would have been able to see the Really big difference the Lack of DNA that 19/20 has really hurt you guys in that area.The dna from last year was a small sample size but it showed that there was a big gap from what the cwt was showing and what was really happening... Another problem also because folks decide not to return heads from clip chinooks also impacts the cwt data... so turn your heads in..

Yup hearing the same.. it seems a lot of people cannot take the 5 minutes to send a quick note to DFO letting them know how this impacts them and that option A in not a option...for those of you that have not Do So...If you don't shame on you............

I thought 700 letters was actually pretty good, from what I've herd a lot of sports fishing topics are typically less then 100.

No one pays much attention in the off season, well expect the people on this fourm in the winter were wild!

Back