Ignition key needs to held on

bigdogg1

Asking for a friend. Mid power outboard starts fine but key has to be held to stay on. From what I understand, it turns back to off when released. Spring issue? Easy fix? Replace the switch?

Thanks

So a little further investigation. Key engages starter, motor starts as expected, then may or may not continue to run as normal. Once in awhile, releasing the key in the start position does result on the motor turning off.

Six wires coming out the back of the switch - White, Black, Grey, Orange, Green, and Brown.

Connections from these wires appear to be intact but could one of them cause the motor to stop?

Easy enough to replace the switch but would prefer to cut and splice one wire instead of six. Will also look at the kill switch functionality. It appears to be solid but maybe something there to pursue as well.

Hey SH, I have always found FF to be a great rust inhibitor for electrical connections but it is also an attractant for dust and grit etc. Do you mean FF on the wire connections?

All I know that I makes things last alot longer in our environment. Including internals to electrical mechanical devices like switches of all kinds

Back