If you were buying electronics today...

Dave....

what would you go with for a radar/plotter combo for fishing/boating mostly in Georgia Straight and Islands area ? The options seem endless and my brain hurts from looking at the options. Thinking 9" or 12" ( for a Searunner HT ). Will also need VHF but thats an easier decision when i get to it...
I figure there are some folks here who have just done the research OR are really interested in this stuff...I just want something that is reliable and maybe easily expandable to other uses ( eg. Musichub ). But priority is quality for $'s..
thanks for any insights.

probably a simrad evo 3 7" and a b&g zeus 3 12" (to save money) with a halo 20+, hs60, rs40b with nmea 2k bus.

To keep it simple go with a 12 inch any brand really they all are good they all have issues merry it up with a VHF that has built in AIS so any boat transmitting that signal you will see on your nice 12 inch system , I say bigger as by the time you do split screens for GPS and sounder it shrinks fast or even 3 screens. I ve always used lowerance but that my preference im sure some will chime in,. they always do... LOL

Isnt boating fun LOL

Good luck Wolf

Either Simrad or Lowrance with halo 20 +heading sensor so you can have the overlay. If you have room and budget get a 12 inch. Or else 2 7inch or 9 inch networked.

Also think about an auto pilot as well. I’m going through all this at the moment as well. Probably going to switch back to Lowrance. I have a Garmin head unit now and all I want is to add an auto pilot. Talked with Garmin and they quoted me nearly 6g just for the pilot. If you buy a gen 2 and up lowrance, they come built in with the auto pilot features and it costs you 1500 for the pump, computer and heading sensor. Sky’s the limit with electronics. Just all depends on how much you wanna spend.

I had Lowrance HDS series on my last boat, it was ok but wouldn't buy it again, my current boat had Raymarine when I bought it, it was a complete nightmare, more cables and modules then you can imagine, (given it was 2010 vintage). I replaced it with Garmin, I installed a 8616XSV at my main station 1243XSV on my bridge, Phantom 18 radar, Reactor 40 autopilot and by far the best of the 3 brands I've owned is the Garmin. Active captain app is amazing and convenient, my Fusion stereo is interfaced to the plotters on the NMEA2000 network, I can control the tunes at either station from the screen and get text's and call info thru the Garmin bluetooth. Both displays have HDMI inputs, so in the winter boating months I hook my i-phone up and stream movies for the kids and the sound comes through my Fusion, in the summer they have a movie under the stars. I know everyone has their favorites and everyone's uses differ a bit but in my opinion after the 3 brands I've owned Garmin has been the best for me.

Surprised no one has mentioned Furuno. I currently have simrad and love it! But if money was no option and I was building a new system I would be considering the new Furuno TZ touch 3 Pretty sweet looking units with arguably the best sounder technology. Lots of videos on YouTube comparing all the major brands that are fairly recent within the last 6months to a year.

Surprised no one has mentioned Furuno. I currently have simrad and love it! But if money was no option and I was building a new system I would be considering the new Furuno TZ touch 3 Pretty sweet looking units with arguably the best sounder technology. Lots of videos on YouTube comparing all the major brands that are fairly recent within the last 6months to a year.

Exactly. I’ve used Furuno, Garmin, Lowrance and Simrad on my boat, and my first gen TZTouch that I have now is far superior to all of them including my new Simrad Go XSE (used primarily as the Merc VesselView output). Faster, more stable, easier menus and navigation/route planning, better pan/zoom, etc. And the new TZT3 series are by all accounts even better.

Not only arguably the best sounder technology (which to be honest doesn’t really matter for the fishing we have around here - i.e. not deep dropping for swordfish at 1,500+ ft), but also their radar is up there as well. The SC20 satellite compass they came out with last year is a sexy piece of kit too. And Sabiki mode on the Furuno autopilot (basically autopilot when in reverse) is super useful when backtrolling while jigging.

Support is great too. Every time I’ve called with a question I get put right through to the tech support department and speak to someone who knows exactly what they are talking about.

Garmin has a bit better integration with things like Fusion Stereos and CZone digital switching, but all that is pretty much compatible with other brands. I found the Garmin charts (formatting and detail) to be my least favourite of the three.

Furuno came out with new MFD's (TZT3 series) about 1 year ago; their first MFD with built-in CHIRP. IMO CHIRP is a game changer because it scans using multiple versus a single frequency which IMO it show targets so much better than non-CHIRP that you can rely on the F/F to determine whether or not your current fishing location is a waste of time or not. I tend to be a "mover" - move to new location if not getting fish (Salmon).
It appears all the brands are pretty close on price.
As mentioned above, the bigger screen will show more F/F history so you won't loose fish marks as they scroll off-screen as much. You COULD use a tablet with Navionics for charting & dedicate the MFD for F/F & use the MFD MOB (Man Over Board) feature as it is much better that the tablet app. Tablets are not as bright as MFD's though.
Transducer selection is very important; while you may not need 1Kw power for our needs these 1Kw transducers have more & higher quality transmit/receive elements.

Furuno seems to have the best support & backward compatibility. They have a support forum where very high quality answers from a support engineer usually come in a day or less. Their repair facility is in Camas WA.

It is my opinion that all the detailed bathymetry for "fishing charts" comes from the same source & bottom contour lines every 6 feet or so in most areas are standard except in deeper waters. To the best of my knowledge, an optional map is required in all cases for this high detail.

If you use a compatible dual frequency transducer Furuno has rez-boost, Accu-fish size determination & bottom discrimination features,

I have heard negatives about RayMarine & Navico support. I have been happy with Garmin but went Furuno for my latest stuff; at 70 y/o it is the last boat I will own. Whatever you buy, it sounds like the Airmar 1Kw high wide CHIRP transducer is as good as it gets for Salmon.

You probably don't need RADAR as fog is a bit more predictable on inside waters. Also AIS comes in 2 varieties; receive-only (cheapest most common) & transmit/receive, which let's you "see" others that are transmitting AIS. Furuno has a low-cost wireless RADAR antenna that works with a tablet app.

Great thread. Goes to remind me how much I forget about electronics during the off-season. No radar yet on our boat, just a Garmin 7608sxv with the basic sonar transducer. Reminds me to call Inlet and discuss an upgrade cheers.

I’ve had Furuno on my last 4 boats. My most recent boat purchase forced me to consider Garmin because the boat was already wired with a full suite of Garmin, with the chartplotter glassed in to the wheelhouse dash. That was almost a deal-breaker for me but I decided to give Garmin a try.

The Garmin sounder is pretty good (GT51) , but as an insurance policy, I removed the Furuno DFF3D from my last boat before selling it so I use that along side with the Garmin and meanwhile, have a Furuno 588 FCV stand-alone fish finder in the stern, so I got the sonar part of marine electronics covered with both Garmin and Furuno.

The Garmin chart plotter (8612XSV) , however, I find stunningly bad. If I compare it with the Furuno TzT I had on my last the boat, the chart plotting functions are clunky, awkward, inefficient and TEDIOUS—-in short, I am blown away that so many people choose Garmin and hold it in such high regard

Specifically, a function I use ALL THE TIME——creating a route that does not involve “own ship’s position”.........With the Furuno TimeZero software, I can get to where I want the route to begin on the chart, create the route, name it, fly over it from finish to start or start to finish, edit it as necessary, see where each waypoint is in relationship to land masses and islands etc, tweak as necessary, re-save, and do all that again with a new route, and I can do it likety-split

Garmin? No way....there is no “find on chart” function so every time you want to do a route that doesn’t involve “own ship’s position” you have to manually expand the chart, drill down on where you want the route to begin, then once you begin the route, you have to manipulate twice the amount of icons to create the route then you would have to using the Furuno software.....

Then, more importantly, when wanting to review the route, or do a “flyover”, Garmin provides a frozen screen (non-interactive) showing the route you just created...but there’s no way to zoom in and examine if the route needs editing because it’s a frozen “dead” pane, and the points in the route due to screen resolution appear so small they’re impossible to see in relation to land/islands/reefs etc....it’s mind-boggling how Neandrathal the Garmin route functions are compared to the available Furuno chartplot functions.... All I can say is....try out the Furuno TzT line of chartplotters and try and go back to your Garmin. Really.

The more recent Tzt2 and Tzt3 are not built as robust as the original TzT series but the good news is, they came down dramatically in price, so the “if money is no issue” mantra no longer works with Furuno—it is competitively priced and in some instances, is cheaper then comparable Simrad, Lowarance, Garmin or Raymarine suites

Don’t believe me? Look at the Furuno marketing videos that compare (in real time) all the high-end chart plotters on the market to the Tzt3—it’ll open your eyes

My last boat had the Furuno NXT Doppler radar....incredible piece of equipment for situational awareness and collision avoidance. Wow, I got all weepy seeing the blue and white NXT dome go off down my driveway when the new Buyer came to pick up my last boat

So now I have the Garmin Fantom that came with my new boat... it seems to work fine although the tuning doesn’t seem to be quite as precise as the Furuno and the target separation is not as crisp. The Doppler function seems to work the way the Furuno did (the red targets are coming towards you, the green colored targets are going away from you)

But what blew my mind is seeing the Furuno videos where they do a side-by-side comparison between the NXT and the Fantom and in one instance, show clear evidence how the Fantom radar completely fails to discern proper target separation between a boat and the trees in a mangrove swamp—-the target shows a one big blob on the screen. Meanwhile, the Furuno NXT clearly captures the boat target on the screen, the edge of the mangrove trees as another target, and captures the empty space between the two objects...that’ll sober you up as far as which brand has the superior technology

I’ve always done my own marine electronic installs and removals. My newest boat would require a huge amount of labor to do that, both removing the Garmin Fantom (tearing out the wheelhouse roof panels) and the Garmin chartplotter (re-glassing the console after removing the 8612XSV) so I’ll just grin and bear the Garmin....but boy am I glad I kept one of the Furuno TzT’s I had before selling my last boat...it’s mounted on the dash and is big enough to be a nuisance due to the 14” screen, but at least I have it to fall back on for ease of use and the intuitive elegant chart plotting functions it has compared to the 8612XSV

Short answer—-do yourself a favor and check out the TzT series

Last edited:
I’ve had Furuno on my last 4 boats. My most recent boat purchase forced me to consider Garmin because the boat was already wired with a full suite of Garmin, with the chartplotter glassed in to the wheelhouse dash. That was almost a deal-breaker for me but I decided to give Garmin a try.

The Garmin sounder is pretty good (GT51) , but as an insurance policy, I removed the Furuno DFF3D from my last boat before selling it so I use that along side with the Garmin and meanwhile, have a Furuno 588 FCV stand-alone fish finder in the stern, so I got the sonar part of marine electronics covered with both Garmin and Furuno.

The Garmin chart plotter (8612XSV) , however, I find stunningly bad. If I compare it with the Furuno TzT I had on my last the boat, the chart plotting functions are clunky, awkward, inefficient and TEDIOUS—-in short, I am blown away that so many people choose Garmin and hold it in such high regard

Specifically, a function I use ALL THE TIME——creating a route that does not involve “own ship’s position”.........With the Furuno TimeZero software, I can get to where I want the route to begin on the chart, create the route, name it, fly over it from finish to start or start to finish, edit it as necessary, see where each waypoint is in relationship to land masses and islands etc, tweak as necessary, re-save, and do all that again with a new route, and I can do it likety-split

Garmin? No way....there is no “find on chart” function so every time you want to do a route that doesn’t involve “own ship’s position” you have to manually expand the chart, drill down on where you want the route to begin, then once you begin the route, you have to manipulate twice the amount of icons to create the route then you would have to using the Furuno software.....

Then, more importantly, when wanting to review the route, or do a “flyover”, Garmin provides a frozen screen (non-interactive) showing the route you just created...but there’s no way to zoom in and examine if the route needs editing because it’s a frozen “dead” pane, and the points in the route due to screen resolution appear so small they’re impossible to see in relation to land/islands/reefs etc....it’s mind-boggling how Neandrathal the Garmin route functions are compared to the available Furuno chartplot functions.... All I can say is....try out the Furuno TzT line of chartplotters and try and go back to your Garmin. Really.

The more recent Tzt2 and Tzt3 are not built as robust as the original TzT series but the good news is, they came down dramatically in price, so the “if money is no issue” mantra no longer works with Furuno—it is competitively priced and in some instances, is cheaper then comparable Simrad, Lowarance, Garmin or Raymarine suites

Don’t believe me? Look at the Furuno marketing videos that compare (in real time) all the high-end chart plotters on the market to the Tzt3—it’ll open your eyes

My last boat had the Furuno NXT Doppler radar....incredible piece of equipment for situational awareness and collision avoidance. Wow, I got all weepy seeing the blue and white NXT dome go off down my driveway when the new Buyer came to pick up my last boat

So now I have the Garmin Fantom that came with my new boat... it seems to work fine although the tuning doesn’t seem to be quite as precise as the Furuno and the target separation is not as crisp. The Doppler function seems to work the way the Furuno did (the red targets are coming towards you, the green colored targets are going away from you)

But what blew my mind is seeing the Furuno videos where they do a side-by-side comparison between the NXT and the Fantom and in one instance, show clear evidence how the Fantom radar completely fails to discern proper target separation between a boat and the trees in a mangrove swamp—-the target shows a one big blob on the screen. Meanwhile, the Furuno NXT clearly captures the boat target on the screen, the edge of the mangrove trees as another target, and captures the empty space between the two objects...that’ll sober you up as far as which brand has the superior technology

I’ve always done my own marine electronic installs and removals. My newest boat would require a huge amount of labor to do that, both removing the Garmin Fantom (tearing out the wheelhouse roof panels) and the Garmin chartplotter (re-glassing the console after removing the 8612XSV) so I’ll just grin and bear the Garmin....but boy am I glad I kept one of the Furuno TzT’s I had before selling my last boat...it’s mounted on the dash and is big enough to be a nuisance due to the 14” screen, but at least I have it to fall back on for ease of use and the intuitive elegant chart plotting functions it has compared to the 8612XSV

Short answer—-do yourself a favor and check out the TzT series
I was about to buy Garmin till I read this. What a great bit of info FYI I was Quoted
1700 for Garmin gpsmap 1042 no ducer
2500 for the phantom 18
Poco marine

I have a Lowrance plotter/sounder that I use for finding hali spots and working in the fog but is normally a back up for my stand alone Furuno 585 sounder. One thing I learned a few years ago when everything is on one screen...when it goes you loose everything...never again. The most important electronics to me is my sounder so I have a stand alone and the other is a backup.

Furuno just released the 9 inch TZT3 MFD - seems to be going for $2500 US; a bit cheaper that a high end 10" Garmin.

Looking to buy a second NSS12 Evo3 for the bridge deck. Price of a new one is a little crazy, 1k more than when I bought the first one. If anyone is looking to sell...

Back