If you live in British Columbia-you will find this Interesting!

that site doesn't know it's butt from a hole in the ground. for example, Port Alberni was not founded on Salmon...

It looks like they picked each town in BC with a slumping forest industry.

Hell, CR at 15 is a joke. I would take that town over PG, Chetwynd, Fort st John, the list goes on...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, the more I read this article the more pissed off it made me..,i think it is an unfair assessment of Powell River and Port Alberni Also...

I lived and worked in Port Alberni for many many years.

The forest industry is what drove the town for the large part.

It was a good town for me personally. Friendly people, great outdoors, and you didn't have to go very far for salmon in the summer.

Great hiking and fresh water fishing just minutes from town. Lots of lakes around.

You have varying degrees of real estate running the gamut from cheap to high end.

It has a hospital, ice arena, sports complex. Several big box stores and pretty good shopping.

The downtown does however look a little "dated", but only because the shopping focus has shifted to Johnston Rd. and the malls.

It's more of a "blue collar" town.....but I liked it and would live there again in a heartbeat.

I love the assessment on Powell River. Totally stupid. We drive ****** cars because we spend all our money on boats figure it out! Oh and tackle. Fish on

YES, lets rate cities to live in by how hard it is to get a job at the local mall.... Look around, you metro-sexual, it's all about the outdoor living not the Latte shops......

Last edited by a moderator:
Yahoo! I'm top 5 in Canada .
Jimmy Pattison just closed his mill here in Quesnel last week. Thanks Jim your the best.
Between Canfor ,West Fraser and the BC Gov the forest industry is a train wreck. Rape and pillage.

Send this to that lady who supposedly runs our province! If it wasn't for the Coquihalla, Merritt would probably be close!

YES, lets rate cities to live in by how hard it is to get a job at the local mall.... Look around, you metro-sexual, it's all about the outdoor living not the Latte shops......

Metro-sexual, ha ha ha they gave it that rating cause there wasn't 4 different timmy to choose from(no line-up).
This same article was discussed on 4 other forums as well. Some with more colorfull descriptions of the article writers.

Maybe the author should expand his horizons and venture out of Toronto rather than depend on a cursory glance at the head lines in the Globe and Mail. I laughed out loud at the assessment of Williams Lake.
Yes times are tough for the residents of a lot of smaller towns but most wouldn't want to live anywhere else. They are intensely proud of their communities.

Check out the "worst place to live" group if you are on Facebook. This was started by a Port Alberni resident after the Moneysense article naming it the worst place to live in Canada. Best Facebook page yet.

Back