Idle No More/Theresa Spence

That news segment is brutal,finaddict. It's the same thing in the local tribe here. A chosen few get the good paying
jobs and perks that go with them,while the rest live in poverty and destitution. Time for the FN to look within themselves and put a stop to the corruption.

The individual rights of natives to seek judgements against its band and the chiefs who represent them should be honoured. Band corruption should be fought within…

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/aboriginals/indianact.html

Last edited by a moderator:
For all no matter what creed or colour.

In reference to native or non native folks? Plenty of non native people who should pursuit this advice too and lots of natives who do.

In reference to native or non native folks? Plenty of non native people who should pursuit this advice too and lots of natives who do.
This is ONE group of the many that this should be directed to. But make no mistake BGM, when it comes to handouts, cost wise, the aboriginals are top dog.

Don't know who wrote this, but they should get a good pat on the back (was recently sent to me via Email):

[FONT=&quot]On a very serious note and regarding the "Idle No More" movement, I offer the following:

Over the years we have all listened and watched as successive Canadian governments have tried to deal with the residue of our colonial past. On the evidence, a wide range of policies, and a huge amount of our money, has failed to solve a seemingly insolvable problem of abortive aboriginal treaties, perceived entitlements, and social disasters. Many good people on both sides of the fence have spent lives of frustration using different administrative models to no lasting effect.

The only consistent result of over 100 years of wasted time, money and lives is the fact that, for many, being a treaty aboriginal has become a business in and of itself; Aboriginal Incorporated has become a way of life, a leadership management philosophy, a negotiating tool, a public spectacle, and a very lucrative business model, at least for a few. The latest public display of Chief Spence and her Aboriginal Inc. handlers has backfired and, with the release of the audit report on her financial management of millions of tax dollars, we see what really is the issue: The criminal misappropriation of funds intended to help the social ills of an important but socially failing segment of the Canadian population.

This has to stop. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over, and over, while expecting a different result. A failed policy approach is a failed policy approach and over 100 years should be sufficient evidence that enough is enough. We need to start from first principles:

1) No one in Canada is above the law of the land
2) Your economic well-being is your responsibility. It is not the government's job to pay you to fish and hunt.
3) Employment rules apply to everyone. If you can't get a job where you live: Move Idle No More at our expense!
4) If you receive public funds; you are accountable. Penalties apply.
5) Theft is theft; see 1) above.
6) If the funds are badly spent or the recipients do not care for the infrastructure and benefits provided; the funds will not be replaced.
7) Treaties will be respected in the context of the date of the treaty and the standards of the day.
8) Your administrative costs and the pay of your local leadership will be set by the people that fund your operation.
9) As our municipalities are governed by provincial rules; so the reserves will be governed by federal rules.

I believe this list is a good start but is clearly a work in progress. I further believe that a valid counter to the Idle No More movement needs to be a strong Enough Is Enough movement. Plainly said: we have had enough!

I truly hope the government gets the picture and puts its foot down once and for all.

If enough Canadians repeat this message then perhaps the abusive power of Aboriginal Inc. will be lessened and the real needs of the thousands of aboriginal Canadians in need can be met.

Enough Is Enough!
[/FONT]

Damn straight. No matter who you are as a human being you should pull your own weight.

Agree, but what I wonder if the non native culture's idea of 'pulling their own weight' is the same as the natives. Their idea of giving back, their whole sense of self worth differs so much from ours. I just don't like painting a culture, ethnic group whatever with the same brush. Generalizations, stereotypes and boiling complex issues down to a headline news story does not help us work towards an understanding that will move things forward.

Agree, but what I wonder if the non native culture's idea of 'pulling their own weight' is the same as the natives. Their idea of giving back, their whole sense of self worth differs so much from ours. I just don't like painting a culture, ethnic group whatever with the same brush. Generalizations, stereotypes and boiling complex issues down to a headline news story does not help us work towards an understanding that will move things forward.

Does it differ that much. Does it really matter. I think a lot of human beings give back one hell of a lot regardless of race and culture. More human beings should (if they can) and I agree with that.

I think airing out the funding of certain band's is good for all people to see. I really don't think hiding it or making up excuses etc. does anything for good conversation about the matter.

Don't know who wrote this, but they should get a good pat on the back (was recently sent to me via Email):

[FONT="]On a very serious note and regarding the "Idle No More" movement, I offer the following:

Over the years we have all listened and watched as successive Canadian governments have tried to deal with the residue of our colonial past. On the evidence, a wide range of policies, and a huge amount of our money, has failed to solve a seemingly insolvable problem of abortive aboriginal treaties, perceived entitlements, and social disasters. Many good people on both sides of the fence have spent lives of frustration using different administrative models to no lasting effect.

The only consistent result of over 100 years of wasted time, money and lives is the fact that, for many, being a treaty aboriginal has become a business in and of itself; Aboriginal Incorporated has become a way of life, a leadership management philosophy, a negotiating tool, a public spectacle, and a very lucrative business model, at least for a few. The latest public display of Chief Spence and her Aboriginal Inc. handlers has backfired and, with the release of the audit report on her financial management of millions of tax dollars, we see what really is the issue: The criminal misappropriation of funds intended to help the social ills of an important but socially failing segment of the Canadian population.

This has to stop. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over, and over, while expecting a different result. A failed policy approach is a failed policy approach and over 100 years should be sufficient evidence that enough is enough. We need to start from first principles:

1) No one in Canada is above the law of the land
2) Your economic well-being is your responsibility. It is not the government's job to pay you to fish and hunt.
3) Employment rules apply to everyone. If you can't get a job where you live: Move Idle No More at our expense!
4) If you receive public funds; you are accountable. Penalties apply.
5) Theft is theft; see 1) above.
6) If the funds are badly spent or the recipients do not care for the infrastructure and benefits provided; the funds will not be replaced.
7) Treaties will be respected in the context of the date of the treaty and the standards of the day.
8) Your administrative costs and the pay of your local leadership will be set by the people that fund your operation.
9) As our municipalities are governed by provincial rules; so the reserves will be governed by federal rules.

I believe this list is a good start but is clearly a work in progress. I further believe that a valid counter to the Idle No More movement needs to be a strong Enough Is Enough movement. Plainly said: we have had enough!

I truly hope the government gets the picture and puts its foot down once and for all.

If enough Canadians repeat this message then perhaps the abusive power of Aboriginal Inc. will be lessened and the real needs of the thousands of aboriginal Canadians in need can be met.

Enough Is Enough!
[/FONT]

I support this post completely.

Nothing in here that I do not agree with Nog.Props to you for saying it honestly.

I agree. Enough is enough.

That video you put up lolly has every single member of the discussion as pro idle no more with majority of them as native...not bias at all lol

Back