Ideas for Reducing Kicker Vibration

Whole in the Water

Soon I am going to be mounting a new kicker on my welded aluminum boat. The previous one was bolted on the transom and produced irritating vibration at certain rpm's. I would like to use some type of rubber mat/pad to mount the new kicker to reduce the vibration and noise. The regular Moeller transom pads are too thin to work well.

Anyone have any ideas on what and where I could get some thicker, more durable rubber mat for this application?

I would try Acklands on Government. They may not have it in, but they can order it.

https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/AGIPortalWeb/WebSource/Search/globalSearch.do?{globalApp.quickSearchSearchType}=&{globalApp.quickSearchCriteria}=rubber%20mat&cm_mmc=Google-_-Winter-_-Facility%20Maintenance%20-%20Rubber%20Mat-_-+Rubber%20+Matting&gclid=CJ227fLz0q4CFQV_hwodSRdsBg

Whole, i believe rubber breaks down when exposed to petroleum based products (oil n gas), that and it may be too soft to seat evenly when cranking down your bolts, and may crack your kicker frame (especially if its cast).

I would look into Urethane. Comes in many grades and densities, and is oil resistant I believe. A good supplier over here is Redwood Plastics, but I'm sure there is someone on the Island that can supply the same. Can get it in sheets, round, square, rectangle 'bars', pretty much anything. Just an avenue to consider.

FB

Whole, i believe rubber breaks down when exposed to petroleum based products (oil n gas), that and it may be too soft to seat evenly when cranking down your bolts, and may crack your kicker frame (especially if its cast).

I would look into Urethane. Comes in many grades and densities, and is oil resistant I believe. A good supplier over here is Redwood Plastics, but I'm sure there is someone on the Island that can supply the same. Can get it in sheets, round, square, rectangle 'bars', pretty much anything. Just an avenue to consider.

FB

I thought that there are rubber compounds with UV and petroleum inhibitors? Wouldn't urethane be too hard and transfer the sound/vibrations more?

I thought that there are rubber compounds with UV and petroleum inhibitors? Wouldn't urethane be too hard and transfer the sound/vibrations more?

I'm not to sure on the advanced rubber compounds but that sounds correct to me. Theres always something for everything. The urethane I work with is not too hard, you can bend a 1/4" or even 1/2" piece quite easily (over say a 6" long piece). You can't fold it in half though. I just like it because it can take a beating and can generally hold up, whereas rubber in the same application breaks down, becomes soft...ect. Now, the applications we use it in are NOT mounting a kicker to the transom, so I can only speak from my own experience.

But when it comes to Macguyver style upgrades, my wheels turn! Inevitably though, the best option is to speak with a professional, before taking the final step. The guys at Redwood (who we deal with) are great and will have all the technical info you need, as I'm sure a rubber supplier (maybe try BC Rubber Supply) will have the same tech info also on their product. Things I think to consider would be material compression, rigidity, resistance to petrol, and the key of course, its ability to absorb and not transfer vibrations..

food for thought

FB

have seen guys make a uvm sandwich,, with a piece of rubber matt between the the two plys.. silicone the edges and no uv or oil will get at it...use rubber mats in yer gunnels for your storage, this helped alot!!!

I have seen guys use heavy duty mud flaps. They hold up quite well.

Was you old kicker a 2 or a 4 stroke? 4's are a lot smoother

Tire inner tubes, camping mat. Plywood sandwich then epoxy/glass it. (?)

Princess Auto I would bet has them or Lordco. Another thing that I bet would work would be a piece of that truck bed liner mat.

Back