I ate dogfish

Kildonan

After countless hundreds (if not more) of those pests I’ve dealt with over my time fishing, yesterday I was offered a chance to try eating it.

The fish was bled, filleted and skinned immediately upon coming out of the water then soaked overnight in milk.

I must say, I was surprised when I tried it. It had been pan fried in some butter and herbs. The taste was mild, and good. Not the ammonia taste I’ve always imagined or been told would be there. Based on what I’ve read, the prep on this fish is what made it. Seriously, it was actually not too pretty bad. :D:D

Last edited:
After countless hundreds (it not more) of those pests I’ve dealt with over my time fishing, yesterday I was offered a chance to try eating it.

The fish was bled, filleted and skinned immediately upon coming out of the water then soaked overnight in milk.

I must say, I was surprised when I tried it. It had been pan fried in some butter and herbs. The taste was mild, and good. Not the ammonia taste I’ve always imagined or been told would be there. Based on what I’ve read, the prep on this fish is what made it. Seriously, it was actually not too pretty bad. :D:D
Slow clap...

Mannnny years ago when I fished commercially out of Prince Rupert, the plant where we landed our fished had a market for dog fish "belly flaps". They paid us 5 cents a pound for the fish and 35 cents a pound for the belly flaps. I cursed my skipper many times as we were on deck for hours cutting out belly flaps on our slow ride back to Rupert just so the plant had a fresh supply to ship somewhere overseas. Bad memories when it comes to dogfish. Think that's why I've never tried to eat one..

Took a course at Langara College back in 78 or 79 on "How to Catch Salmon". Ya, believe it or not they offered that course. Anyway the instructors name was Tony something. Probably had 20 years plus on me. He brought in smoked Dog Fish one night for sampling. It was great. Tasted just like chicken....I guess you could smoke dog poo and it was taste ok tho....anything smoked taste good.

Last edited:
Brits call it rock salmon among other names, I always had skate and chips, was the cheapest and dam good. Remember fishing of the Yarmouth river mouth and after reeling in 20 ft we would have to clean the toilet paper of the top rod eye, then reel another 20 ft and repeat. Good memories and excellent tasting fish n chips. We will all be eating dogfish soon if things keep going the way they are.

HM

was so hungry once as a kid,we tried eating MUSKRAT ,. soon realized I was not that hungry........
figure anything that has a pulse is fair game.......but with LING and SALMON, flounder and hali available, i'll pass on Dogfish.... I do give you credit for trying it....

Tried it same as you describe but soaked 50/50 vinegar water overnight. fillets from rib cage back... very tender like a pork fillet ... not bad but have not gone back to it... I am sure "dog" label is a prejudice.

I used to entertain Korean guys I did business with. I took them salmon fishing. Every time we hooked a dog fish, that’s what they wanted to bring home. I offered them coho and they said no thanks...

In July I visited the fish plant in Bella Bella next to the ferry terminal that was just taken over by new management. What are you guys doing with your workers, I asked. Dog fish was the response. Big demand in Asia. Good money for them. Go figure...

I used to entertain Korean guys I did business with. I took them salmon fishing. Every time we hooked a dog fish, that’s what they wanted to bring home. I offered them coho and they said no thanks...

In July I visited the fish plant in Bella Bella next to the ferry terminal that was just taken over by new management. What are you guys doing with your workers, I asked. Dog fish was the response. Big demand in Asia. Good money for them. Go figure...
Good! Send them all to them

I have eaten dogfish and I have to say it is very good but the prep is what makes it. Usual care with any fish is required and then the fillets should be soaked in milk overnight!! Make sure you warn the wife because you might hear a scream if she is prone to a nocturnal snack!! The fillets will sometime twitch and send ripples through the milk many hours after they have been placed in it . Good beer batter ,deep fry and enjoy!!

Back