Fried Herring Roe Anyone?

Yup, you read it correctly!!

This tasty treat was passed on to me from my Dad when I was a kid. We would strip out the herring roe, very damn slowly as the roe is small in size, until we had accumulated a couple of gallons of it. Then we would layer rows of eggs and course salt in a ceramic crock to store it in. The crocks of roe and salt could be kept for several months in the "fruit room" (this is where My mom stored all her canning goods) a cool area or the fridge would do nicely as well.

When you wanted to cook some up, just soak the eggs in fresh water for several hours, changing the water a couple of times to remove as much salt as possible or to your own personal taste. Then just drain the water, dip the roe in flour, pan fry with some oil, pop them in your mouth. The roe was crunchy, but good.

As we went out and jigged up some herring earlier this month, I salted some roe overnight in a bowl and put it in the fridge (this hardens the roe and removes most of the liquids:also stops the roe from sticking to everything it touches...your fingers, the knife you use to cut out the roe, the bowl to put the eggs in, the counter top, etc). The following morning I soaked the roe in fresh water and changed the water once ( once or twice more would have helped to remove more of the salt, but I was impatient to try the roe), then dip it in flour, fried it in olive oil at medium-to-low heat for 1-2 minutes per side. I shared this delicacy with a buddy, hot, and we ate it all up...perhaps a beer to compliment the roe would have been in order, but I have not had some roe in years. It was delicious.

That is my family recipe for herring roe, if you get the chance to try some... give it a whirl, some folks loved it and some folks spit it out!!

Thanks for that. I was once on a seine boat with a bunch of Scandahovians and they introduced me to both hard and soft roe (milt sacs) Actually not that bad.

This year a did up two batches of pickled herring using web recipes as I couldnt find my tried and true old recipe. One that involved pouring hot vingar brine on the fish and onion after salting was a disaster. Turned out mushy and too sweet.

The second batch turned out better, I cut the sugar and increased the salting time...used cold vinegar , and it was crunchier. But still not like my Mommy used to make. (sniff)

i think if you washed it down with good jamaican rum and some coke it would be better

Used to get to try the herring roe and seaweed from a friend who was Haida. Not sure of the spelling but it was called "Ghow". Heavily salted and shipped down here in a bucket. Same procedure of rinsing under running fresh water to remove the salt, then boiled I think. Was crunchy as well and quite tasty.

Haven't tried the roe on kelp for ages, Profisher, but I remember trying some right out of a herring pond the natives had set out in the central area, by Bella Bella. I honestly can't remember what it tasted like, other than it was crunchy.

Cuba Libre, I owe you a thanks for your earlier posts on jigging herring, got my gal and myself motivated to go out and jig some for ourselves.

So have any of you guys tried salmon roe? I know my Mom said she liked it but I never saw her eat it. Any ideas on how to do it? Do you think if I treated it the same way as CL's herring roe it might be OK-Gooood would be better. Have tried salmon liver and it was pretty tasty!

Salmon roe is way too rich for my liking. I will eat a little in sushi, but thats it. Years ago, I got invited for a campfire lunch in the hills above Spences Bridge by two Indian cowboys who were rounding up their cows. I was chasing mulies at the time. Lunch was strong boiled coffee, smoked sockeye jerky and dried sockeye eggs. I have NEVER had heartburn so bad in my life!

Sounds like a challenge--on a small scale-might give it a try on the boat this summer-with some tortiere and beer standing by "just in case"

One memory I have when I was young was my dad and godfather putting out a net from shore somewhere in Cordova Bay I think it was and catching 'smelts' and having a campfire on the beach and frying up and pan of these floured smelts. Do we have smelts here? Could they have been herring or...?

So have any of you guys tried salmon roe? I know my Mom said she liked it but I never saw her eat it. Any ideas on how to do it? Do you think if I treated it the same way as CL's herring roe it might be OK-Gooood would be better. Have tried salmon liver and it was pretty tasty!

Yes, I have tried salmon eggs many times. We would strip the eggs out of the salmon (right after it was caught), usually spring salmon, boil water in a medium pot, toss in the roe (remember to wash it first), and boil for 10-20 minutes or until the eggs were thoroughly cooked. Drain off the water, add salt and pepper, then eat it while it was still hot. Mmmmm...delicious, but Cuba Libre is right it is rich...straight protein!!

Add beer...crackers...good lookin' woman

I've eaten them raw right after cleaning...mostly coho eggs. This began when a group of Japanese students were gathered around the cleaning table. I threw the first sack of eggs to the gulls and they immediately started yelling no, no. lol They asked to have any more roe...then watched them pull single eggs from the skein and eat them. WTH...tried them right there...I already liked sushi. They were alright...a few is enough. Would be better cured.

The salmon eggs prepared for sushi are called "Ikura" (also known as "red caviar"). Here is the recipe:

"Salmon caviar is second only to sturgeon in quality. To make red caviar you need a piece of 1/4" to 1/2" mesh screen at least one foot square, depending on the egg size. first choice is plastic or stainless steel but plain steel can be coated with vegetable oil and galvanized can be coated with resin. Separate the eggs from the membrane by gently rubbing the skein of eggs over the screen. Discard the membrane and blood vessels remaining on the screen after most of the eggs have passed through. Make an 80 deg sal brine [1 cup + 2 tbs salt to 1 qt water]. Gently stir the eggs in the cooled brine from 15 to 30 min. The uptake of salt will depend on the maturity of the eggs; they should become opalescent. Do not over salt. drain for 8 hours. Keep cool but above 40 deg so the eggs do not congeal. Pack into jars. Refrigerate between 34 and 36 deg. up to a year. Over 40 deg it will have a very short life.

I was a cook on a seine boat wayyy back when and the Slav skipper owner insisted on fried Herring roe and scrambled eggs all the time I could scrape up the fresh roe.I can't say it was my favorite never had it since but it didn't kill us.Never forget the look on the crew when I served it up! Rolled there eyes and drowned it all in ketchup!Crunchy salty little mini beebeee clusters.Prefer flying fish roe Sushi style!
kronic

The salmon eggs prepared for sushi are called "Ikura" (also known as "red caviar"). Here is the recipe:

If you don't have the right sized screen you can use hot water (not hot enough to burn you hand) on the roe sacs and the mebrane shrinks and the eggs come out easily for brining.

Tip

Back