Hypocritical and hilarious

S

stlhddan

I think it is hilarious how a lot of fisherman on here are so hypocritical regarding fishing and retaining salmon in the ocean vs. river. They will pound the crap out of salmon in the ocean catching there limits and making sure their guests catch their limits and the odd day if you don’t catch their limits they will b*tch and complain how bad the fishing is when they only catch half their limit vs. limiting out. Then when the fish reach the river after you have pounded the sh*t out of them in the ocean you are crying close it down, look at the returns. Well you should have thought about that before when you are filling up your guest limits and your own. I don’t understand why certain fisherman think they should have the opportunity in the ocean but others shouldn’t have the opportunity in the river. I believe that dfo should close the ocean for 5 or 6 years and just open rivers with strong returns and see if that helps the returns to the weak fish systems. Doesn’t that make sense?? I believe a lot of you wont agree especially the one that have invested 30, 40 50 or 100+ grand in there boats and all the gear but what makes sense

I respect your opinion and in some regards you have some a valid points. However, how many river fish are caught by snagging or flossing them? Pros and cons on both sides.

The salt chuck fishery is chiefly one that targets MIXED</u> stocks. This year (as in past years) the majority of the "bounty" (outside terminal areas) focused on US origin fish. It wasn't until the very latter part of August that any WCVI fish showed, and they were few (and few were caught offshore as a consequence).

Terminal in-river fisheries target only the returning stock to their particular system. It is only when they return (or don't as the case may be) that we can see what the actual numbers may or may not be.

Regardless of your persuasion, shutting it down when the numbers ain't there is simply the RIGHT thing to do!

Cheers,
Nog - Feeling NO guilt whatsoever... [}:)]

quote:Originally posted by IronNoggin

The salt chuck fishery is chiefly one that targets MIXED</u> stocks. This year (as in past years) the majority of the "bounty" (outside terminal areas) focused on US origin fish. It wasn't until the very latter part of August that any WCVI fish showed, and they were few (and few were caught offshore as a consequence).

Terminal in-river fisheries target only the returning stock to their particular system. It is only when they return (or don't as the case may be) that we can see what the actual numbers may or may not be.

Regardless of your persuasion, shutting it down when the numbers ain't there is simply the RIGHT thing to do!

Cheers,
X2... well stated!
If there are any doubts, look at the stats I just posted on Migration Routes: http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13519

quote:Originally posted by IronNoggin

Cheers,

X 3 - Nog, you nailed it!

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

Not everyone and his kid has the money to fish the chuck. What we need here is to stop the flossing and the taking of fish that are about to spawn. I've seen fish that are spewing out eggs taken. Don't stop a guy from fishing the river with his kid but educate them.

Hey, I fish year round so therefore you will see me on the river or lake when I'm not on the salt. I have to agree that targeting specific runs of fish once in a river is far more successful to being regulated. The chuck is a mixed bag which is almost impossible to deciphre.

The argument between a snagged fish and a fair hooked fish is, well, pointless when both will end up in your freezer.( if that is what you choose to do) That is a moral issue and a whole other argument. My point is a dead fish is a dead fish no matter if it was dragged into your boat or dragged onto the beach.

These are two distinct fisheries that need to be managed in diffferant manners. To say people shouldn't fish the river isn't fair. As someone said before, not everyone has the luxury of a fully outfitted boat. This is a battle that will never be won as each group of anglers are very passionate over how, when and where they fish.

I new this be a interesting topic..

Wolf.. I am a troll because I bring up a intersting topic regarding closing down the ocean vs. the river.. Is this what always happen when there is a opion that is different then the normal crew on here..Yep wolf a real troll. I was a fishing guide on the west coast of the island in nootka sound for ten years I grew up in Gold River fishing and hunting since I could walk. I have seen how the fishing has declined tremendously and it is in my opion this could work. You nailed it wolf a troll.....

Hey Nog I agree if the numbers dont show close the river or dont open at all but if the numbers are there let there be a controlled river fishery. I also agree in the ocean you are targeting a mixed bag of fish from many different systems even system where the numbers are critical so like I said close the critical systems and open the healthy systems..

tyee 2112..While fishing in the ocean have you considered why they are there, they are on there way to spawn and you might be taken a fish from a system that is critical..Just wondering

SerengetiGuide. If you are going to snag or floss them it makes it easier to pick them off in the river but if you are going to fish legally it doesnt make much of a difference. I agree that flossing and snagging is BS and native's with nets is whole different topic.

I have three young children and I am teaching them how to fish etc and I want them to be able to enjoy many years of fishing and they can teach there children.. This is my opion of what could work. yes it would be devastating to the lodges and commercial guys, tourism etc but if we dont do something now it is going to be very devastating in the near future when systems of fish become extinct and gone forever. See what the economic effects are then.

Dan

Well if you knew exacally when a "critical" fish was to pass by say nootka or renfrew or even sooke I think you should apply and work for DFO as then you could protect that "critical" run because you must be a guru.

For one have you EVER seen me say close a river NO so before you assume I did slow down ok...

For me personally go ahead have fun on the river i just dont like the fact of the down right poaching that goes on the rivers and the flossing.

And if Ive hurt your feeling because I said troll well im sorry.
Wow you can sure tell fishing is over everyone is a bit senstive!!!!

Do you need a man hug???LOL

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Hey Wolf

Not once did I say I could predict what fish are from citical system or not in the ocean, but you could tell once the fish are in the system

I understand why you are so sensitive to this idea, it could ruin your business by closing down the ocean fishery but what's going to happen when you have no fish to catch, whale watching and shore bird viewing?

You say I am sensitive, no it's called realistic

dan

WRONG I could care less if they did close it down (IM A CHEF SO IVE ALWAYS GOT WORK) if they did (hypathetical) of course then close it for EVERYTHING.

NO RIVER

NO COMMERCIAL

NO F.N. NOTHING NOT EVEN FOOD FISH

NO SPORT

NOTHING, NADA, ZIP,ZILTCH,DONE

Then you will see a whole collapse of our whole province because what fishing brings to our province is everything from air travel,hotels,tourism,ferries,vehicle travel,all the other non fishing retal outlets the list goes on and on forever.

I think the number is close to 3 billion a year and if that revenue isnt there then wheres the money coming from to "protect it" hmmmmmm because you need money to spend on creek habitat, hatcheries etc the list goes on and on again. so no money well then you see then there would be no fish anyways because you want it gone

IS THAT WHAT YOU REALLY WANT???????? A DISMISE OF OUR PROVINCE???

You of all people who used to "guide" im sure knows the impact why arent you screaming about how the deer population is so low??? not like it used to be etc .etc. do you want that closed down now too???

Good Luck Wolf

quote:Originally posted by wolf

WRONG I could care less if they did close it down (IM A CHEF SO IVE ALWAYS GOT WORK) if they did (hypathetical) of course then close it for EVERYTHING.

NO RIVER

NO COMMERCIAL

NO F.N. NOTHING NOT EVEN FOOD FISH

NO SPORT

NOTHING, NADA, ZIP,ZILTCH,DONE

Then you will see a whole collapse of our whole province because what fishing brings to our province is everything from air travel,hotels,tourism,ferries,vehicle travel,all the other non fishing retal outlets the list goes on and on forever.

I think the number is close to 3 billion a year and if that revenue isnt there then wheres the money coming from to "protect it" hmmmmmm because you need money to spend on creek habitat, hatcheries etc the list goes on and on again. so no money well then you see then there would be no fish anyways because you want it gone

IS THAT WHAT YOU REALLY WANT???????? A DISMISE OF OUR PROVINCE???

You of all people who used to "guide" im sure knows the impact why arent you screaming about how the deer population is so low??? not like it used to be etc .etc. do you want that closed down now too???

Good Luck Wolf

But say theoretically the continuation of our (all secotors) of fishing(native, sport, commercial) practices goes unalters and trends continue as they have in recent years... it WOULD be worth seeing EVERYTHING shut down to help stocks rebound over 5-10 years say THEORETICALLY, rather than squeeze a few more years out of them untill the point of a much longer or no rebound is possible...
what is in the best intrest for the FISH must be done, not what people want to $ee happen for their $hort term benefit$$. Just an idea... would all fishing stopped dismiss our province? Hell no.. would we feel an impact though? yes there is not question it would feel something, but not a collapse .. its not going to happen anyways realistically at this point though.

I'm with Nog,"feeling no guilt at all".I'm gonna use my native rights and fish springs in the SSS system and bring all my friends and show them the great meat market there.
Of course I'm not,but coulda faked it through and showed the same ignorance as his statement made.
Honestly,I been targeting cutties on the light-weight fly on the rivers theses days.And all C&R.
Here's one of many I've tagged coasting behind the pink redds in the past weeks...

Un fortunattly shutting it all down will help but wont solve the problem as a river system can only take some much fish up the system and then they start wreacking the eggs already laid (overcrowding) I remeber when we used to guide clients on the kake****ean (sp) near knight inlet they would only let in so many fish to the spawning grounds then they would shut the ladders for the same reason.

This season by far was one of the better ones for a lot of the province. records as well in some area (nananimo in may june) definatlly banfield and nootka and especially hardy and below where my old stomping grounds are.

Just like in hunting money is what pays for things and everyone on here who bought a liscence has paid into the system for our future.
in a perfect world more money would go to our hatcheries and manned with more people that got wages but thats a perfect world!!!

Wolf

quote:Originally posted by stlhddan

I think it is hilarious how a lot of fisherman on here are so hypocritical regarding fishing and retaining salmon in the ocean vs. river. They will pound the crap out of salmon in the ocean catching there limits and making sure their guests catch their limits and the odd day if you don’t catch their limits they will b*tch and complain how bad the fishing is when they only catch half their limit vs. limiting out. Then when the fish reach the river after you have pounded the sh*t out of them in the ocean you are crying close it down, look at the returns. Well you should have thought about that before when you are filling up your guest limits and your own. I don’t understand why certain fisherman think they should have the opportunity in the ocean but others shouldn’t have the opportunity in the river. I believe that dfo should close the ocean for 5 or 6 years and just open rivers with strong returns and see if that helps the returns to the weak fish systems. Doesn’t that make sense?? I believe a lot of you wont agree especially the one that have invested 30, 40 50 or 100+ grand in there boats and all the gear but what makes sense

I am in agreement that some people are a tad hypocritical on this subject. I don't pound the crap out of the Salmon on the ocean. I release far more than I keep. I have taught my sons to do the same.
I do feel that far too many fishers on the ocean have the attitude that it hasn't been a good day unless they caught their limit. If everyone's attitude is "I always fish to my limit", pretty soon the limits will end up being dropped even further. That's pretty much guaranteed the way things are going. I think the one Chinook over rule is going to become far more widespread in the near future. I also think there should be annual limits on all Salmon species, not just Chinook. Some people just keep harvesting even though there's no way they can personally consume the amount of fish they take home.

As far as the river fishing goes I feel there is way more abuse on the rivers. Snagging is rampant, as well as many other frequent gross abuses. This is probably more prevalent on the rivers because of the relative anonymity that comes with not fishing from a boat with numbers displayed. Most guys that own the expensive boats and gear are a little more law abiding as a group overall I'd say. S**t happens on the ocean too, but boat owners have a lot more to lose if they get caught with flagrant violations. I think as a group, guys on the chuck are also far more experienced than the average bank fisher.

Regarding ocean vs. river fishing. Neither group has more rights to the resource. Put yourself in enforcements shoes though, and which end is going to get shut down first. The rivers of course, because that's where all the violations are occurring. River fishers took a much lower percentage of fish in the past with traditional angling methods. With all the snagging that goes on in the rivers these days the Salmon populations can't support those excessive harvest rates on the spawning beds. Guys on the rivers only have themselves to blame if they don't clean up all the abuses that go on there.

Back