Hydrofoils

Klob

Has anybody had any experience with these things. Always had one on my 60 Enduro and seem to run fine. Thinking about putting one on a 175 Merc, with the price of gas I'am thinking it could'nt hurt?

I have used them for years, they do get you up to plane quicker and at slightly lower rpm, so you can save a little bit in fuel. Another thing I like about them is that many times they help keep your fishing line from getting wrapped around the prop.

I used one on my old boat and I do believe that they can compensate somewhat for a bad hull design or incorrect motor setup. They do help to eliminate porpoising (sp?), get you on plane a little sooner and stay on at lower rpm's but they also add drag that will reduce efficiency.

My new rig doesn't need one so I don't use one anymore.

quote:Originally posted by Clipper

They do help to eliminate porpoising</u> (sp?), get you on plane a little sooner and stay on at lower rpm's but they also add drag that will reduce efficiency.

what is porpoising? just curious... im young haha

Ever had your boat trying to nose dive in the water then surge up , kinda like riding a roller coaster , nose always moving up and down.
Commonly caused by the motor set too close to the transom or not parallel to the keel to give your boat the slight constant lift needed for the bow to stay in the planing position..

Cheers

AL

We run one on our 115 as it helps us get up on plane faster when I've got a boat load of people and dive gear. We also run one on our 25 as it helps keep the bow down on the smaller boat when there is only one person in it.

I seem to recall hearing our local mechanic say that you should be cautious about using them on the higher HP motors, I think it was something to do with the potential for problems with high speed/high power cornering and the fin digging in too aggresively... not 100% on that though...

PS - and speaking from experience they also do a good job of keeping your downrigger cable out of your prop

PPS - not a recommended strategy as failure can be very expensive :)

Back