Hunter Tootoo resigns.

OldBlackDog

Hunter Tootoo resigns as fisheries minister, leaves Liberal caucus
question-period-20160129.jpg

Hunter Tootoo issued a brief statement Tuesday evening: 'I have decided to seek treatment for addiction issues and ask for privacy at this time.' (Sean Kilpatrick/Canadian Press)
Nunavut MP Hunter Tootoo has resigned from his position as minister of fisheries, oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard, according to a statement from the Prime Minister's Office.

The release says Tootoo will be taking time to seek treatment for addiction issues.

Dominic Leblanc will assume the role of minister of fisheries, oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard, in addition to being government House leader.

Tootoo released a short statement this evening.

"As of today I have resigned as minister of fisheries, oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard and will be stepping down as a member of the Liberal caucus in order to not distract from the important work of my colleagues," the statement read.

"I have decided to seek treatment for addiction issues and ask for privacy at this time."

Tootoo became the second Inuk to be appointed as a senior cabinet minister after defeating Conservative Leona Aglukkaq in the 2015 federal election.

He had previously served as an MLA and a cabinet minister in the Nunavut Legislature.

Yup, hope he can, but all those letters people have been writing about recreational salmon fishing in BC will not get lost in the shuffle.

Back