Hungry hungry orcas - looks like more fishing restrictions to come!

Whole in the Water

Wow, I didn't know how many salmon orcas ate on a annual basis! :eek:

The Associated Press

Date: Sunday Oct. 30, 2011 10:15 AM ET

Huge chinook salmon are the most prized catch on the Pacific coast for fishermen on both sides of the Canada-U.S. border, but they may soon have to share the bounty if a scientific panel links chinook and the survival of endangered southern resident killer whales.

The independent, cross-border panel has recently completed the first of three workshops looking at studies connecting the abundance of chinook and the well-being of the rare killer whales.

There's great interest from sport, commercial and First Nations fishermen in the recommendations because of the implications on the lucrative fishery, said panel member Andrew Trites.

"Everybody is watching this very closely," said Trites, director of Marine Mammal Research at the University of B.C. Fisheries Centre.

Panel chairman Ray Hilborn said their job isn't to make a fisheries management recommendation but to evaluate the science behind an assessment that limiting the fishery will benefit the whales.

The panel has about three dozen studies and reports to analyze before a decision is made at the end of 2012.

Several studies have shown there's a correlation between poor survival of southern residents and low chinook abundance, Hilborn said.

The professor of aquatic and fishery science at the University of Washington said both the Department of Fisheries in Canada and the Fisheries Service in the U.S. know a decision to limit the fishery will be controversial.

"So if they're going to go forward with regulating these fisheries they want to be able to say, `You know it's not just our own scientists, we've had an independent panel review this stuff."'

William Stelle Jr., the regional administrator with the U.S. Department of Commerce, said in a letter issued earlier this year that if the panel recommends changes, the goal could be to implement the fisheries restrictions for the killer whale recovery plan starting as early as the 2013 salmon fishing season.

Studies show that up to 90 per cent of the summer diet for the 88 southern killer whales is made of the large and fatty chinook and that a large percentage of those are returning to British Columbia's Fraser River.

Experts estimate adult orcas need up to about 290,000 calories a day. That's 10 to 34 salmon a day, depending on the size and species, or over 800,000 salmon a year.

Lynne Barre, a marine biologist with the fisheries service of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration in Washington state, said it's too soon to determine if limits would be placed on fisheries in order to protect the whales.

"This is an impact we're considering," she said. "We haven't identified how or in what way a fishery would be changed in order to accommodate a need for the whales. We haven't gotten to that point."

Barre, who leads the Orca recovery program in the United States, said the effort is part of an action plan to restore Washington state's Puget Sound by 2020.

Plans are also in the works to keep the whales from oil spills and reduce contaminants. There's even a proposal to start tracking a whale with a satellite to see where the three pods winter.

New regulations implemented this year in American waters limit the possibility of whale-vessel impacts. Limits were doubled to keep ships away from whales from 90 to 180 metres. Canadian no-go zones have been set at 100 metres.

Barre said one of the most exciting proposals is an application by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration to apply a small satellite tracking tag to one of the whales. Researchers are hoping the device can solve one of the biggest mysteries about where the whales travel in the winter.

"It would increase our data with one deployment, to help us see how far off shore they're going, if they're staying in localized areas for extended times or if they're just transiting to and from feeding hot spots," she said.

There are two different groups of resident whales off the B.C., Washington state coasts. The northern residents, which spend most of their known time in the waters off British Columbia, and the southern residents which split their time between Canadian and U.S. waters.

The northern residents, with a population of about 200 whales, are similar to southern residents and have the same diet.

There are also about 500 other killer whales off the Pacific coast divided into transient and offshore groups that have a diet of mammals or sharks.

Barre said helping the southern residents survive and thrive has been difficult.

"It's definitely challenging because it is a trans-boundry issue because it covers a number of different types of threats, the prey, the contaminants and pollution and then vessel impact and sound."

The population of the whale dipped dangerously low in the 1990s and while Barre said experts don't think it had anything to do with oil spills, they're working on a plan to keep the mammals away from potential harm.

"We can use sounds, we can use these banging pipes, we can use a helicopter from the air to sort of encourage them to go in a certain direction. There's also these little underwater explosives that are generally used to keep seals and sea lions away."

She said there's been plenty of concern this month about how to heard whales after several killer whales were spotted going up an Alaskan river. Three of them, including a pregnant whale, died.

Read more: http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/SciTech/20111 ... z1cNgK0UYf

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
While I firmly believe we need to share the salmon with all the users (including orca's) this is another reason why we must demand better management from DFO to increase our salmon populations. We need DFO to:
- fund more habitat restoration
- enforce watershed and streamside protection from industrial and urban development and pollution
- enforce current fishing regulations
- reduce the herring catch limits to provide more feed for salmon
- increase funding to hatchery programs
- move all net pen fish farms onto land asap
- fund the collection of more accurate recreational and commercial catch rates to base management decision on
- conduct research into the possible spread of Salmon ISA virus and ways how to contain and eliminate it

Too many people and animals depend on salmon for DFO to continue with their utterly incompetent management of the salmon. We must demand a complete overhaul and restructuring of the DFO and soon! :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
"While I firmly believe we need to share the salmon with all the users (including orca's) this is another reason why we must demand better management from DFO to increase our salmon populations. We need DFO to:
- fund more habitat restoration
- enforce watershed and streamside protection from industrial and urban development and pollution
- enforce current fishing regulations
- reduce the herring catch limits to provide more feed for salmon
- increase funding to hatchery programs
- move all net pen fish farms onto land asap
- fund the collection of more accurate recreational and commercial catch rates to base management decision on
- conduct research into the possible spread of Salmon ISA virus and ways how to contain and eliminate it

Too many people and animals depend on salmon for DFO to continue with their utterly incompetent management of the salmon. We must demand a complete overhaul and restructuring of the DFO and soon!"

Well said and I absolutely agree!!

Teach them how to break into farm pens

I know of some fat cats in Ottawa that could be used to meet the orca's demanding diet. 290,000 calories? That's what one Ottawa politician?

If I was in charge I wouldn't yet be putting more money into salmon habitat, hatcheries etc. I would start by trying to restore herring habitat, and restoring the herring population with the goal for it to match historic levels. Other baitfish would receive similar assistance. There wouldn't be a herring, sardine, or any other baitfish fishery. At least not until the stocks have 100% rebounded.

Another one people don't think about too often is sea otters. We need more sea otters! Sea otters eat urchins that eat kelp. If the sea otters are controlling the urchin population it should help kelp beds thrive. A thriving kelp bed is full of life and feed for everything in the ocean. The herring need good kelp beds to survive and the salmon need them to feed and take cover. I am sure I am not the only one who has noticed a reduction in kelp beds in recent years. I am sure sea otters are not the only solution to this I do not understand why kelp beds appear to be receding but that is another important question that should be answered.

Once those plans are under way habitat and enhancement for salmon can take place. Whats the point of pumping out millions of smolts and restoring creek beds when there isn't enough feed in the ocean for them to thrive. If we could somehow restore ocean conditions starting with the smallest organism the fish would take care of themselves.

(Thanks for the correction english I originally stated sea anenimies were destroying the kelp but was corrected it is urchins.)

Another one people don't think about too often is sea otters. We need more sea otters! Sea otters eat anemenies that eat kelp. If the sea otters are controlling the anenimie population it should help kelp beds thrive. A thriving kelp bed is full of life and feed for everything in the ocean. The herring need good kelp beds to survive and the salmon need them to feed and take cover. I am sure I am not the only one who has noticed a reduction in kelp beds in recent years. I am sure sea otters are not the only solution to this I do not understand why kelp beds appear to be receding but that is another important question that should be answered.
Jockey, you have got the wrong culprit!! Anemones certainly don't eat kelp. They are the guys with all the soft wavy arms that are plankton filter feeders. The bad guys are the sea urchins. The spiky shelled creatures that wander the rocks and kelp beds. It is those the sea otters love to eat, so definitely we need to bring back sea otters to eat up the sea urchins!!
English

Ramping hatchery production is nothing but a band aid solution last chance. It works while the hatchery's are pumping out the fish but stops working as soon as the budget is cut.

I would like to see meaninghfull long term solutions that address the issue that are causing the declining stocks instead of simply pumping out more and more fish hoping numbers masks the problem. Addressing issues like fish farms, habitat destruction, poor logging practices, and over fishing (mainly the commercial and native bag/net fleets) will do much more to help.

Wild fish thrived for millions of years and they can again but we need to take less and take care of their habitat and food sources. This will ensure they are strong and healthy in the ocean, and then have a place to return and spawn once they hit the river.

On one hand I am thankfull for the hatcheries but on the other hand I sometimes think if they were not around maybe somebody would have used the hatch money to take action that would truly help the wild fish. It sort of reminds me of a halibut meeting I went to a few years ago. The rec sector had over 100 thousand dollars that was raised by selling excess rec quota from the year before to commercial fisherman. What they did with all that money was buy back quota from the commercial guys on the first year the rec quota ran out and DFO wanted to shut it down early. Great, that helped extend that one season. Now we are screwed. Don't you wish we could go back, get all that money that was given to the commercial guys to buy the quota and instead use it to raise awareness and hire decent legal council to fight the 88/12 split. That decision alone to buy quota put us years behind and gave the commercial fisherman what they wanted, precedent to continue selling us fish.

It is different but the same, use the money for hatchery production and the loggers don't care about destorying habbitat because the hatchery's will make up for it. IMO Hatcheries are both part of the solution and the problem. They are the solution because they can really help boost fish populations and get things back on track when they are dwindling. They are part of the problem because they mask the damage that is being done year after year making it easyier for polititions to say problem? What problem? Such and such hatchery just got tons of fish back everything is fine.

Jockey,
You are right on. Hatcheries are a necessary evil right now, but the best thing we can do is restore the habitat and get the hell out of the way. For all the reasons you have stated hatcheries are only a stop gap measure and their existence is a two edged sword that plays into the hands of those that would destroy the fish habitat and environment as well as apparently giving us "more" fish for now. The gains are illusory, temporary and hatcheries do not address the underlying problems. If we paid more attention to protecting the greatest "hatchery" on this planet, the rivers, streams, estuaries, and lakes of B.C. and the ocean itself we would not need any artificial life support for the runs.

The more people in the world, the less the survival chances for wild animals.
I applaud all the efforts going to restore habitat, but the simple fact is there are too many people
which brings on development which leads to the collapse of natural environment.
Sad, but true.
If not for the hatcheries, we would have little opportunity to go fishing.

Explains why fishing is sooo dead once they pass through, was running to one spot this year then saw them heading south about 4miles from the spot...fishing day before was lights out, limited in an hour and a half, got 4 in 2 hours...shows what they do to it.

The more people in the world, the less the survival chances for wild animals.
I applaud all the efforts going to restore habitat, but the simple fact is there are too many people
which brings on development which leads to the collapse of natural environment.
Sad, but true.
If not for the hatcheries, we would have little opportunity to go fishing.

RSC, you are right on with your assertion there are too many people for the health of the environment. However, population is a larger more intractable problem, insoluble in the short term. No one is saying we should get rid of the hatcheries "right now". Far from it, we do need them as "life support" for now. But we should not let hatcheries become the "de facto" long term solution and deflect and hide from us from the real issue. That is, how can we design - engineer if you will - our economy, developments, and infrastructure to work in harmony and in concert with nature, rather than against and in conflict with it? We don't have to pollute, to log right down to the stream edges, or fish all wild stocks to extinction. Open net cage salmon feed lots are one of the all time classic examples of a development "engineered" in direct conflict with the natural environment and oblivious to very basic ocean ecology. Habitat protection must in future be part of the economic equation used to evaluate every project, because the cost of not doing so will be borne by humanity at some time. If not by this generation, then the ones to come.......

Good post English, I'm with you.

I've spent much time thinking about the 150 or more runs of Pacific salmon that are now extinct; their gene-pools gone forever.

I've spent more time pondering the amount of work - good paying jobs - that could be created over-night by putting crews to work on fish-habitat restoration & enhancement projects throughout BC. The payback to future generations of BC's peoples, Orca's, and all other creatures that depend on our Great Fishes, would be incalculable.

Think about it, there's lots to do.

- urban stream rehab work where people and fish have collided (Kudo's to all that's already done and ongoing).
- cleaning up the mess left by the logging giants who raped & pillaged during the 50's through to the 80's.
- building more hatcheries in cities that don't have them so more school kids might get exposure to the wonder and immense value of Pacific salmon.
- building larger Naval fleets to SINK THE FISH FARMS!
I'm sure you guy's could add more to this list?
FTFF!

Hatcheries have to be ramped up and maintained at levels that sustain fisheries and wildlife/sealife populations, until wild populations are able to do so. These animals can't wait for action that may and will take years to even see if they will work to restore salmon runs. Wildlife and fishermen need fish now while scientists work towards permanent natural solutions. Only then would hatchery production not be required and could cease.

Unfortunately natural selection goes out the window with hatcheries. Consequently the fish are getting increasingly smaller. A 15-20 lb coho was the standard. Now the average seems to be 8-10 lbs, a 33-50% size reduction in 30-40 years. I guess we should be thankful the DFO has nor expertly managed these into extinction

The whole concept of raising carnivorous fish such as salmon as a way to feed the worlds overpopulation is seriously flawed in that it takes a very large amount of fish protein to produce a relatively small amount of salmon. We are pillaging the oceanic food chain to feed our salmon feedlots to the point where it will eventually collapse and there will be NO wild fish left.

Farmed fish or aquaculture is only sustainable when the product being raised can be fed on plant based materials (like farm raised catfish, carp or tilapia).

You make a very good and important point there Clipper, that needs to be addressed before we expand the salmon farming industry. If we don't we could very well ruin the marine ecosystem and food chain, by mining the sea of plankton, krill and bait fish just to feed farmed salmon and in the process destroy the very oceans that produce beautiful wild fish for free. Seems pretty insane in the long run doesn't it?

Back