Hull Design

TomCat

If given the opportunity to build or buy one boat in the 28 to 30 foot mark
which hull design would it be. Best ride, performance, etc.

i would like an alu "parker" style, but higher gunnels. currently thinking of shortening my pilot house.

myself, I prefer cat... I've been side by side to comparatively sized kingfishers and other mono-hulls running out in the slop and the difference seems pretty noticeable. prob lots of opinions though...

Cat have a great ride and are really stable at rest. They are a nice hull design and also feel huge being the same beam bow to stern

cats are great for running in the slop for sure. trolling in the swell or in the trough feels like the boat is falling over!

Ocean Sport all the way. Beautiful boats

Ocean sports are beautiful no question just need to make them out of aluminum . For me I would look at a Armstrong cat

Another vote for ocean sport. Saw one of the big ones in a marina and it was the sickest boat I've ever seen. The eagle craft aluminums are nice too. Seasport has a 2800 that would be pretty awesome with some 300s on it.

Cat will probably win most categories. Only one I have owned was a 14ft livingston. I have the belief that they are not quite as full efficient as other designs. I assume we are talking about boats that have speeds of 20+. I now have a 33ft Chris Craft. Deadrise at the stern is too shallow; in a large following sea it yaws. Yamaha has a very large collection go prop tests (performance tests) - you can compare one engine powering several different boats to see the effects of weight, hull design on top speed & fuel economy. The surveyor i used to use (he is retired) had the opinion that even Grady's were a little too flat bottomed for NW offshore waters. I had a 24ft Sea Ray that left all the boats in the dust on WCVI. Now I am 65 & happy to be back in the dust with a more comfortable ride.

FYI the new direct injection Diesels don't smoke & are quiet. You will get about 30% more bang for your buck. Fishing/landing fish w/o the outboards in the way is NICE.

Coastal craft are also very nice, if we only had a million we didn't need
jeff @ CC has a 30' sportfisher design with 10-6 beam and rigged for twin outboards cost range 300K i belive....

Back