Huge Reductions in Hatcheries Coming - anyone hear anything?

agentaqua

I just heard from someone involved in the DFO Hatchery end of things that they have been told that there are huge reductions in production hatcheries funding & output coming in the next year or 2. Not sure if that is PSSI-related or something else. Anyone hear anything?

I just heard from someone involved in the DFO Hatchery end of things that they have been told that there are huge reductions in production hatcheries funding & output coming in the next year or 2. Not sure if that is PSSI-related or something else. Anyone hear anything?
That's funny. I saw your post then contacted a good friend who is a DFO hatchery manger of one of the production facilities. They just had a big hatchery managers meeting yesterday ( for the Fraser side of things ) and they were told the exact opposite. They are getting a significant cash investment for infrastructure upgrades and expansion as well as money and new staff and O &M to support conservation programs. There will also be two new northern ( Fraser) hatcheries built in the next few years. He stated it was all good news they received. Nice to hear good news for a change.

That's funny. I saw your post then contacted a good friend who is a DFO hatchery manger of one of the production facilities. They just had a big hatchery managers meeting yesterday ( for the Fraser side of things ) and they were told the exact opposite. They are getting a significant cash investment for infrastructure upgrades and expansion as well as money and new staff and O &M to support conservation programs. There will also be two new northern ( Fraser) hatcheries built in the next few years. He stated it was all good news they received. Nice to hear good news for a change.
That's my understanding also, the PSSI presentation to the SFAB MB also indicated there would be similar investments beyond just hatcheries. Also worthy of mention, the automated marking trailers are in full use now, with more coming. Slowly but surely moving towards properly mass marking existing production. If all hatchery produced Chinook were marked it would help us transform the fishery, providing greater protection for wild stocks, and also address PNI concerns with too many hatchery fish in the spawning mix.

Thanks for the prompt, informative replies BK, OBD & SR. Sounds like the Fraser stock assistance program may be safe, then. I'll try to track down some contacts and more info from the regular DFO channels and see what comes back from them.

That's my understanding also, the PSSI presentation to the SFAB MB also indicated there would be similar investments beyond just hatcheries. Also worthy of mention, the automated marking trailers are in full use now, with more coming. Slowly but surely moving towards properly mass marking existing production. If all hatchery produced Chinook were marked it would help us transform the fishery, providing greater protection for wild stocks, and also address PNI concerns with too many hatchery fish in the spawning mix.
And if ALL hatchery coho were marked, let’s not forget that DFO does not mark all the hatchery coho.

Heard the cap hatchery is getting a pretty substantial upgrade somewhere in the neighborhood of 40m

Back