HUGE CATCH in the Ucluelet Salmon Ladder Derby

The Ucluelet Salmon Ladder Derby is well into it's second season. It is a summer long fishing derby offering thousands in monthly cash prizes and up to $60,000 in total cash and prizes by the end of the event. Running May 1-September 7th, the top 15 fish caught each month along with the top 50 of the summer compete in the big Fish Off on September 7-11th. All net proceeds of the event, plus $2000 each month, is donated to the Thornton Creek Hatchery Salmon Enhancement Project.

Erik Brownwell and his fishIt was an exciting morning at the Weigh-In Station dock today! Derby staff were shocked to register a 49lbs-5oz fish onto the ladder, a fish that weighs 7 pounds more than Rich Allen's 42lbs-6oz catch. Usually we see them slowly creep up an ounce or two, but to receive such a big fish so early in August was a real treat!

Erik Brownell is the lucky fellow who boated the beast out at Outside South. His friends Stanley, and Stanley's father Deacon, travel to with their boat to Ucluelet from Salt Spring Island each year to fish. This year they were staying at the Ucluelet Campground when Erik decided to join them from North Vancouver for a four day fishing trip.

"I have never been to Ucluelet before this trip," Brownell said. "But I'm sure glad I came!"

His friends already had their derby tickets when he arrived and encouraged him to get his as well. That piece of advice could be worth $5000 dollars if no one brings in a bigger fish by month's end. Even second prize at $2000 or third prize at $1000 for the month is still enough to get excited about. Brownell will qualify for the Fish Off on September 9th-11th as well.

As for the fish? It's bigger than a 1st grader.

"It grabbed the line and headed straight for the bottom." Brownell continued, "It took me 35 minutes to bring it into the boat!"

The mood at the dock was a jovial one as Brownell's party posed with the big catch and as derby staff plunked it right on the top of the ladder.

Fishy KissBrownwell and Gang

Interested in participating in the Ucluelet Salmon Ladder Derby? Pick up your derby ticket at participating vendors throughout town or online at www.uclueletsalmonladderderby.com.
Tomorrow is a new day in the Ucluelet Salmon Ladder Derby...can anyone bring in a 50 pounder!?

Attachments

• Erik Brownell Holding up his Fish.jpg
    Erik Brownell Holding up his Fish.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 173
Back