How to you catch Kokanee in the Cariboo?

I usually fish in the ocean but I thought I'd give Kokanee fishing a try this spring. I'd like to try Bridge lake as I have friends that own a cabin near by. I'd like to see what people use to fish for Kokanee. I have a 12' boat with downriggers that I'll be fishing from. Any help would be appreciated.

Try this on one rod. Remove hooks from a # 4 pink or red flatfish on a 18in 6-8lb leader attach a red,pink #4 fly. Fish with or with out gangtroll. depth depends on speed. Play with it.

Used to fish for them in Ok and woods lake in Kelowna. I found that a med size lure Jensen gang troll with a 18-24 inch leader giving way to a wedding band spinner well baited with a meal worm was hard to beat.

Slow troll and be gentle as they have soft mouths.

I like the flatfish - fly idea would not hesitate to try that one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Used to fish for them in Ok and woods lake in Kelowna. I found that a med size lure Jensen gang troll with a 18-24 inch leader giving way to a wedding band spinner well baited with a meal worm was hard to beat.

Slow troll and be gentle as they have soft mouths.

I like the flatfish - fly idea would not hesitate to try that one.
As above, but either a Ford Fender or a WillowLeaf troll and the Wedding Ring. Maggots/Mealworms.
I also use a small rubber snubber between the trool and the weddin ring, smallest you can buy.

As above, but either a Ford Fender or a WillowLeaf troll and the Wedding Ring. Maggots/Mealworms.
I also use a small rubber snubber between the trool and the weddin ring, smallest you can buy.

Yes great added point Labman2 I forgot the snubber, we did use them as well.

Deka Lake is also a great kokanee lake in that area, 2=3 lbers average.Take a half/half FST remove the hook,add a leader down to a Pink Macs lure.Oh and a snubber.I like that flat fish idea am going to try that one as well.

I have caught them in the past trolling a pink Dick Nite spoon on a fly rod with a sinking line.

Worked awesome.

They are tasty little devils too.

Deka Lake is also a great kokanee lake in that area, 2=3 lbers average.Take a half/half FST remove the hook,add a leader down to a Pink Macs lure.Oh and a snubber.I like that flat fish idea am going to try that one as well.

What's a FST, and how long of a leader FH327?

I've been using a small Sling Blade flasher, snubber and a 18 inch leader to a pink or chartruse Wiggle Hootchie, sometimes with a pink maggot real or from Gulp, or pink corn from Pautze or nothing on the Hootchie, just depends on my mood or the mood of the fish. I find the gang trolls create too much drag and take the fight of the fish away. This stuff is from Shasta Tackle, can be ordered online. A slow troll is best but finding the school can take some time and if you use a Downrigger, getting down to their depth is easy if your sonar is accurate.

#1 Smallest size glow buzzbomb, L'il Hustler pink/glow crappie tube, #4 red Gami hook, good sounder, light rod wth 10 lb spectra and 10 feet of mono, tipped with corn or pink powerbait maggot, find the school and jig' em.
#2 A brightly coloured Coyote or Tomic spoon(no hook) for a flasher, 8" leader to a small mini sardine size purple glitter hootchie tipped with corn or pink maggot, 5 feet above a full size dummy flasher on a downrigger.
#3 Attach 4-6 ounces of lead to a Scotty release clip, let out method #2 60-100 feet, clip weight to line, let down 20-40 feet, when you get a bite reel in to clip and then fight him with no weight.
Go slow- 1-1.5mph if you are trolling
Gang trolls suck.

#1 Smallest size glow buzzbomb, L'il Hustler pink/glow crappie tube, #4 red Gami hook, good sounder, light rod wth 10 lb spectra and 10 feet of mono, tipped with corn or pink powerbait maggot, find the school and jig' em.
#2 A brightly coloured Coyote or Tomic spoon(no hook) for a flasher, 8" leader to a small mini sardine size purple glitter hootchie tipped with corn or pink maggot, 5 feet above a full size dummy flasher on a downrigger.
#3 Attach 4-6 ounces of lead to a Scotty release clip, let out method #2 60-100 feet, clip weight to line, let down 20-40 feet, when you get a bite reel in to clip and then fight him with no weight.
Go slow- 1-1.5mph if you are trolling
Gang trolls suck.

Or find the fish and start float single eggs.

Thanks for the tips. It's good to know that one should stay away from the gang trolls as this is what I would have started with.

We not saying stay away, they do work. If you want to take fish home to eat, and don't really care about feeling the fish, they can be deadly. You can get some gang trolls like willow leafs that have less drag too. The thing with all Sockeye and Kokanee is they like a lot of flash and action, and singe flashers and dodgers transmit a lot of movement to the lure. A gang troll provides the flash, but not much action.

Tubber,
What size of Coyote spoon do you use and where did you find the small purple glitter sardine hoochies?

4.0-6.0, use the ugly ones that don't seem to work on salmon. Any light weight spoon will work, but if you're going to spend $7.00, you might as welll get some slingblades or other real dodgers. Also wedding bands will kill the action of salmon spoon at slow speed.
I got my purple glitter hootchies in Maui, but most of these will work.

http://www.tedssportscenter.com/minisardine-3.htm

I also have some tiny spoons in the orange splatter on yellow background that work well.
Sometimes I choke some 1" strands of UV and Glow fly tying material in the egg loop of my octopus hook, then force a soft glow bead over the eye to hold it in place and use it plain, with bait or as a hootchie hook

Wood Lake has had a bad die off of most age groups, so will have limited fisheries for a few years BTW.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey BGM thanks for the insite on the sling blade flashers but looking at the website they just look like a regular spoon is there something different about them I.m not seeing? Also I've never heard about using hoochies either ,thanks FH327

Back