How to keep track of kicker hours/maintanance

Gham

Crew Member
Just thought I’d put this out there for people trying to keep track of kicker hours and maintainance. Its always nice to know how many hours a motor has. I put a hour meter on the kicker and write when it was serviced on the inside of the cowl. Hours meter like this is around $75 at the dealership or $20 online. They are simple 1 wire instal and takes about 5 mins. Works on any motor with a spark plug.

My sounder/chart plotter when first turned on, has a self-diagnosis screen that shows total hours run, amongst other data. The helm gauges include an hour meter for my main engine, and since the plotter is always on whether running the main or kicker, total plotter hours minus main hours equals kicker hours, more or less.

Can’t a tech tell the hours on a kicker when it’s serviced? Yamaha seems to have all kinds of tech data info on the bigger motors.

Not on the smaller carbureted motors. But for resale it’s a huge bonus to be able to show hours rather than estimate. And to have the services written down and at x hours on the inside of the cowl. I usually sell kickers every 4 years or so.

I tried to upload pictures of the hour meter but it didn’t seem to work.

Last edited:
I have one of these. Super easy, just wrap the wire around your spark plug wire and zip tie it somewhere under the cowl. Never have to guess your kicker hours again.

Ambuker Black Water Proof Hour Meter/Service Gauge for Motorcycle Kart, Boat, ATV Jetskis ATV Jetskis https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B074SF4MLV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_0LwrCbRE7QQY0

I'm not endorsing this particular model. There's about 1000 different ones out there that appear to be identical.

Mines been good for some 580 hours over 4 years. They are supposed to last around 10 years...not bad for 15 bucks.

Not on the smaller carbureted motors. But for resale it’s a huge bonus to be able to show hours rather than estimate. And to have the services written down and at x hours on the inside of the cowl. I usually sell kickers every 4 years or so.

I tried to upload pictures of the hour meter but it didn’t seem to work.
Text me the pics buddy and I’ll post them. Ps just bought a case of buds for us next weekend :)

I have one of these. Super easy, just wrap the wire around your spark plug wire and zip tie it somewhere under the cowl. Never have to guess your kicker hours again.

Ambuker Black Water Proof Hour Meter/Service Gauge for Motorcycle Kart, Boat, ATV Jetskis ATV Jetskis https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B074SF4MLV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_0LwrCbRE7QQY0

I'm not endorsing this particular model. There's about 1000 different ones out there that appear to be identical.

kinda cool thanks

fd

Let me add that gham is the king of finding deals online for boat stuff. I try to copy him on everything he does.

just ordered 2

thx again

That’s the one I got. Been on the motor for 2 years now without an issue

referencing post #11 I must assume that gham does not catch too many fish and is good a losing gear..;):D:rolleyes:
Haha good reference. People pay to fish with him and people pay to stay the hell away from me! I’d say we are quite different. He has about 15 years of experience on me too

Back