How the salt makes me feel.

Meclizine is still available in Canada. It is sold at West Marine in Vancouver, and I assume in other stores that are still open. Stock up before West Marine closes all their Canadian stores. It is sold in a box labeled Bonine. The active ingredient is Meclazine.

I always have a box of Bonine on the boat for the guys that Hawkins Cheezies don't cure. Cheezies are pretty magical all on their own, but there's always Bonine aboard for the stubborn cases. Non drowsy, and it doesn't have to be taken long in advance to help.

Have a buddy who I have listened to puking for years....he's fine on inside waters but the swell of the WCVI kills him.

I have tried everything under the sun (pills, patches, herbal remedies etc) and finally have the concoction that works and he CAN have cocktails the night before.

Before he goes to bed I fire some Gravol down his throat....to which if he is half gassed I get a "You're awesome and I appreciate you taking care of me"....slurred notably.

I am always the first awake and I take him a Vitamin water and feed him Meclizine. It used to be available in Canada and branded as Bonamine but something happened and it no longer is. If you're down in the states, go into a pharmacy and ask for the generic version of it, it's dirt cheap. I have about 200 pills I bought for $20.

My other buddies I fish with are thankful for my efforts because I don't care how big your boat is, it becomes very small listening to someone hurl all day or having to run them in....sucks.

As mentioned we've been through everything with this buddy....Meclizine has no side effects for him like drowsiness which many other remedies did.

Last edited:
Meclizine is still available in Canada. It is sold at West Marine in Vancouver, and I assume in other stores that are still open. Stock up before West Marine closes all their Canadian stores. It is sold in a box labeled Bonine. The active ingredient is Meclazine.

I always have a box of Bonine on the boat for the guys that Hawkins Cheezies don't cure. Cheezies are pretty magical all on their own, but there's always Bonine aboard for the stubborn cases. Non drowsy, and it doesn't have to be taken long in advance to help.

I agree with bonemine. I have tried the patch, 12 hr. gravol, etc. nothing works like bonemine and it doesn't make you sleepy like gravol.

Soda crackers! Soak up the the acid sloshing around in your gut. Prior to the advent of all the motion sickness drugs, that was the common solution for guys feeling the motion of the ocean!

I may not be all that susceptible to seasickness anyway, but I've used the scopolamine patch for all my WCVI trips over the years because I don't want to waste any of those much-awaited annual trips feeling off. I've never bothered with anything when on the inside waters, same for Mexico fishing. Mecalzine looks to be worth a try because scopolamine is pretty rough on me, dry furry mouth, fuzzy feeling head and accentuated acids - coffee and beer taste really metallic until the effects moderate after the first day.

Out on the water, the usual advice to keep your eyes on the horizon is a good one. And if someone is getting sick, anchoring for bottom fish will make it all worse. Keep trolling, even drifting has a better action than anchoring in swell.

I may not be all that susceptible to seasickness anyway, but I've used the scopolamine patch for all my WCVI trips over the years because I don't want to waste any of those much-awaited annual trips feeling off. I've never bothered with anything when on the inside waters, same for Mexico fishing. Mecalzine looks to be worth a try because scopolamine is pretty rough on me, dry furry mouth, fuzzy feeling head and accentuated acids - coffee and beer taste really metallic until the effects moderate after the first day.

My buddy who suffers from it on the WCVI had the same symptoms using the patch and hated it. Meclazine has been his savior....and gravol before bed helps him sleep but gets motion sickness drugs in his system as opposed to just taking first thing in the morning.

My buddy who suffers from it on the WCVI had the same symptoms using the patch and hated it. Meclazine has been his savior....and gravol before bed helps him sleep but gets motion sickness drugs in his system as opposed to just taking first thing in the morning.
That seems to be the key for the chronically sea-sick-gravol before bed-no booze(now there's a concept) and either meclizine or gravol as soon as you get up. I find gravol really makes me sleepy about 10 in the morning .thirsty and bad taste in my mouth whereas meclizine has none of those side effects

Soda crackers! Soak up the the acid sloshing around in your gut. Prior to the advent of all the motion sickness drugs, that was the common solution for guys feeling the motion of the ocean!

Soda Crackers were for sure the old school remedy back in the day. Problem with them is its pretty hard to choke very many of them down because they are so dry and tasteless. That's why Hawkins Cheezies have saved many a day when you start to feel a little under the weather. Unlike crackers you can get a bunch of Cheezies down no problem to soak up any excess liquids sloshing around down there. Don't leave home without them. :)

I took some family from England out to Renfrew this summer, and my 2nd cousin got seasick within 15 mins of dropping our gear. We ended up trolling along with the swells, then hauling gear and motoring back up (northwest) before setting again. Seemed to help him moderately but the poor kid could only stomach a few hours of it before throwing in the towel. This was after taking gravol first thing that morning.

Some of my more seasick-prone neighbors in Renfrew swear by meclizine as well. Guys that would get seasick in a bathtub and have tried literally anything and everything with no luck until they tried meclizine. Seems to be the overwhelming favorite through 2 pages of discussion.

Back