How much risk in buying used downriggers?

Grant_J

I plan to put downriggers on my boat over the winter, and I've never used downriggers previously. There is a listing for 3 year old Scotty 2106 downriggers and I'm wondering how much risk there is in buying these? Are they likely to be just fine, or if something is off, easily and cheaply repaired? Or is the recommendation to just purchase new? I can afford new, but obviously paying far less for 3 year old would be preferred.

I bought 1106 down riggers of unknown age that looked to be in decent condition, and they have been problem free for 4-5 years now. I think the consensus is that Scotty products are generally very reliable, and easy/affordable to service. I’d say there is a lot of value in buying used unless you can afford new.

I bought 1106 down riggers of unknown age that looked to be in decent condition, and they have been problem free for 4-5 years now. I think the consensus is that Scotty products are generally very reliable, and easy/affordable to service. I’d say there is a lot of value in buying used unless you can afford new.
I'd second that, and also encourage you to look at the threads that discuss Scotty's service. Many of us have had amazing service from Scotty, which is free except for any parts needed. Easy if you live in Victoria, and fairly easy thru service centres in other locations. I have 1106's which were old when I bought them with my boat 22 years ago. They have been trouble free except for minor repairs like brakes. I have them overhauled every 3-5 years, at which time brake pads are usually replaced and sometimes the line. Done in the offseason, usually in a week.

What are they listed for? You may want to inquire about new ones right now. Parksville boathouse has 2106 w/braid for $720 I believe, and I think I saw that price is good till Xmas

What are they listed for? You may want to inquire about new ones right now. Parksville boathouse has 2106 w/braid for $720 I believe, and I think I saw that price is good till Xmas
I was thinking Trevor's price was close to the new price at some sales right now.

Thank you for mentioning that! In the summer I asked a rep at Gone Fishin if the downriggers ever go on sale and he said "Nope. We make no margin on them." EDIT - I checked my photos and in the summer Gone Fishin listed the 2016B High Power Downrigger at $760
Unfortunately Parksville boathouse doesn't have downriggers listed on their website (accessories page is blank) so I guess I'll call them instead.

Risk in buying?? Probably only if you pay too much. I have seen many 1106's and 2106's at prices that are pretty close to new. Remember to factor in new braid or wire (not cheap). Try to see them working-(usually not possible) but a general rule of thumb is-if the overall condition looks good they usually are. Watch out for the digital counter in a 2106 series-they are pretty expensive to replace. Watch the sales-there a sometimes good deals at xmas and the boat show

I always figured the biggest risk with buying any used gear, and especially something like a downrigger that comes off a boat pretty quick - is that you may be buying something that is hot. Sounds like these ones are from a known seller so maybe not applicable to this specific situation - but I see adds all the time that make me wonder.

I always figured the biggest risk with buying any used gear, and especially something like a downrigger that comes off a boat pretty quick - is that you may be buying something that is hot. Sounds like these ones are from a known seller so maybe not applicable to this specific situation - but I see adds all the time that make me wonder.
Spot on. Scotty design and support are so good that there should be no concern about the product itself. But they sure are a commonly stolen item.

when you buy a new one in the box, doesn’t it come with a release clip, the swivel bases, and the bottom mounting plate?
I just bought a 2106B from Trotac for $765 and it does come with a swivel base, release clip, mounting plate and mounting plug for your boat.

The big thing with buying new is the warranty. The warranty for the rigger stays with the person who registers it.

Back