how do you subdue an Octopus????

I recall a commercial seafood diver told me he somehow turned them inside out to subdue them.

Any animal that fights that hard to stay alive doesn't desrve to be mutilated and left to suffer.

Thanks for saying it Fixit, I sure was thinking it, great first post Kowalski, hauling octopus up in prawn traps is most likely way of getting them. They still taste good and are great bait. Easily subdued with method I mention above.

HM

WOW.....Either there are a lot of divers on here or just a bunch of poachers....aren't octopus illeagal to take with ANY sharp pointed device?
That's what the regs say !

In Greece they are stabbed through brain... Then once dead beaten on hard surface to tenderize and hung outside to get moisture out if your grilling it... I have never got one but I would retain one no problem... In Greek cooking they are the best ingredient to use especially marinated and on the BBQ...

Anyone know where octopus stand against historic poplutations?

As far as I know in say the Aegean Sea in Mediterranean where these octopus have been hunted for years by ancient civilizations were relatively stable and in abundance... Lately though same story habitat loss with increased consumer demand across world is increasing catch rates... A lot of it to asian markets...

I heard there putting artificial reefs in to help...A lot of these are caught by commercial by trawl fleet... And yes they are still there and people have been eating them in large amounts before Christ. If anything positive is these octopus grow full size in 2 years...

Last edited by a moderator:
*ALWAYS COUNT YOUR OCTOPUS LEGS!!!*

l chopped the legs of a "semi-dead" 5 ft Octo in the back yard a few years ago. Apparently one got away without me noticing and the wife hit it that evening with the lawnmower. Very bad.........................

Better than the time I used the dishwasher to clean off a bear skull, and she got there first..........

If you wanted to deliberately catch an octopus around Howe sound what would be the best recreational technique? If it's prawn traps what's the best depth/bait?

Halibut harpoon right between the eyes away from the boat, so they don't grab anything but the harpoon. Lean over the gunnel and a few finishing touches to the brain with the fillet knife. No more brain activity and legs start to go limp. Lift high with the harpoon and slam dunk into the cooler. Suction cups on the legs still work and there is some residual leg movement, so go for the swish into that cooler.

I agree with Craven, Cool animals and are very smart. I have only caught 4 of them but each was pretty big. I cut off 3 legs each time for halibut bait and released them. Their tentacles grow back, so no sense killing the whole animal. They are also becoming an endangered species as well.

They don't taste all that great at all.......you have to pound the meat with an ab hammer to soften 'em up first. Very bland and rubbery.

Prawns, scallops and abalone taste way better.

Gaff in mantle, (head) then as each arm comes up swift chop with fillet knife close to body, when all 8 arms are cut they hang down. Then lift and place in cooler or garbage bag, no mess no fuss. Then you have some good skinned legs eating and body for great hali bait.

HM

Humm-- why waste the best part ???the mantle is the easiest to tenderize, cut into strips and fast fried like calamari , it is great. As far as the tentacles--- blanch them, remove the skin and suckers and lightly pound them............or use THEM for bait .

When we dove for them we'd grab the mantle, pull them up to get them off the bottom (or you were in trouble) then knife 2 inches above the eyes and draw the knife down between the eyes. When you cut the brain in half you will know as half the animal will go white.

I guess I think differently since I have Mediterranean blood..Octopus are delicious if you know how to cook them.. I don't target them but if if I got one I would keep it. So many dishes you can make with them.

Back