How did you choose your boat name?

Baxter

My boat desperately needs a name, but I have not come up with anything I really like.

To me the name needs meaning. Some part of my life that can connect to the boat, or perhaps even an inside joke. A random clever name won't work for me unless it means something personally on some level.

I bought the boat, like many, during Covid, and thought of names like "CohoVid" or "PandEpic" and while they gave me a chuckle, they are not right.

So I ask, how did you choose your name? Does your boat name mean anything real, or just something random?

I've had a Pacemaker installed in my ticker for almost 25 years now. Therefore, for me, "Pacemaker" was a fairly obvious boat name. I'm glad to report that both Pacemakers are working great. Hope it stays that way too. "Reef Knot" is a name that I kinda like for a boat, but haven't seen before....i.e. stay off the reef!
......Pacemaker

My boat desperately needs a name, but I have not come up with anything I really like.

To me the name needs meaning. Some part of my life that can connect to the boat, or perhaps even an inside joke. A random clever name won't work for me unless it means something personally on some level.

I bought the boat, like many, during Covid, and thought of names like "CohoVid" or "PandEpic" and while they gave me a chuckle, they are not right.

So I ask, how did you choose your name? Does your boat name mean anything real, or just something random?
You should be “The Ron Burgundy” because, you know, Baxter.

I usually fish with my wife our last name is McDonough so we called the boat MC2 as in m c squared.
Funny you should say that, Both my kids names start with "E" and I have thought of "ESquared" or "E2" as possible names.

Kinda seems fitting to have their names somehow incorporated into the boat name, after all it is their inheritance that paid (is paying) for it. ;)

Funny you should say that, Both my kids names start with "E" and I have thought of "ESquared" or "E2" as possible names.

Kinda seems fitting to have their names somehow incorporated into the boat name, after all it is their inheritance that paid (is paying) for it. ;)
Using variations and combinations of kids'/family member names is very fishy in a good way.
Lots of commercial boats with seemingly weird names that are combinations like that.

The other aspect is if you are calling in a mayday or something serious, you have to say your funny to you name at least three times before you can ask for help!

My boat, "SaltwaterJoy", is named after a Newfoundland song. I moved to Vancouver island in 2013 after 33 years in Alberta. When I bought the boat in 2014 (my first ever boat) I wanted a name that had some connection to my "Back East" roots in NL, so Saltwater Joys was about growing up by the water. It has certainly lived up to it's name as it brings me lots of Joy when I'm on the water. (Fish or no fish)

My wife's name is Julie so our first cruiser was named Juliery. This one is Juliery Too. The dinghy is Bobble.

I was born and raised on the Faroe Islands - cape Enniberg is a very high bird cliff there - one of the highest of its kind in the world.

Not to derail thread but is it considered bad luck to rename a boat? Example you buy used boat and not a fan of the name?

My wife named ours... she's a bit of a metal head and after we launched it in the Fraser, which was frozen over and we had to smash the ice with the hull, she named it after a song she loves, "Frosthammer".

The boat I'm building now, I intend to name after one of the funniest things I've ever seen in my life; I had this summer job years and years ago painting houses and we were doing this one owned som people with a bunch of nautical stuff in the back yard.

One thing they had was a big scotchman float, you know the type, the big commercial floats that are bright orange with a black top that you tie a rope to. This one had a loop of two inch dock line tied to it, maybe six feet long so doubled over, it was a loop about three feet long.

We were eating lunch one day and this guy I was working with, who is one of my closest friends to this day, came walking around the corner of the house wearing it around his neck like a necklace, walking in this totally loopy way, arms extended over his head with this exaggerated limp like Flava Flav, the float swinging crazily around his knees. He looks at us and shouts what I think I will name this boat:

"YEAH BUOY"

My Dad gave me his old Davidson 10' fiberglass dinghy some years back and I named it Hazy Dawn.

My Dad's name was Don, and his third wife and my Step-mother for nearly 20 years was Hazel.

The play on words using their names came out as Hazy Dawn plus it was evocative of many mornings we have all probably enjoyed.

Hazel was one of the finest women I have ever known and I can still make myself cry by thinking too long about her, so I've got to go now.

Take care.

Back