How did you choose your boat name?

When I bought our boat it was named "Goose" and well that had to go. My Dad was gone and he left me his epic jazz collection along with many amazing memories of gigs where he played drums as well as being in the audience. I remember the first jazz record he gave me was Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" and we would talk about Jimmy Cobbs amazing work on that album. So with the boat being white with blue canvas, it seems like a natural name of "Kind of Blue", which not many people catch but those who do, seem to dig it.

I had the name hand painted by Mauri and am super proud to have had that done. You can always tell one of his as he would add a seagull in flight.

I'm not sure if I buy into the curse of what happens when you change the name of a vessel but I did get a $16,000 bill that same season for a new dps1 and a set of stainless f3s haha

My Dad gave me his old Davidson 10' fiberglass dinghy some years back and I named it Hazy Dawn.

My Dad's name was Don, and his third wife and my Step-mother for nearly 20 years was Hazel.

The play on words using their names came out as Hazy Dawn plus it was evocative of many mornings we have all probably enjoyed.

Hazel was one of the finest women I have ever known and I can still make myself cry by thinking too long about her, so I've got to go now.

Take care.

My wife and I felt the same (as OP) about clever, funny names as they just didn't mean anything to us. With her retiring and me to follow shortly after, we thought we'd like to spend some of our leisure time exploring BC's beautiful coast. We came up with 'Coasting' to reflect both our hobby and our circumstances.

Just shake the old 8 ball, there's gotta be a good name in there

My boat desperately needs a name, but I have not come up with anything I really like.

To me the name needs meaning. Some part of my life that can connect to the boat, or perhaps even an inside joke. A random clever name won't work for me unless it means something personally on some level.

I bought the boat, like many, during Covid, and thought of names like "CohoVid" or "PandEpic" and while they gave me a chuckle, they are not right.

So I ask, how did you choose your name? Does your boat name mean anything real, or just something random?

You’re welcome!
Credit goes to @Stizzla and the members who added their suggestions. Grab a bear (or a 6-pack!) and enjoy - some worth reading more than three times. :D

On our boat we like to seek and hunt down fish, catch them and ad them to the box. So our derby and fish name is " Seek Hunt and Box". You can thank my ol man for that

I’ll be honest here...

my last name turned into a nickname back in college. That nickname turned into another one that rhymed with the original (now noted in my handle).
Years ago, when casually naming the boat, that nickname morphed into the boat name “Bangbus”... which many people don’t believe or they laugh at (including me). It’s not named after the adult film channel, but rather because the boat is a blend of nicknames and the fact that it slays/bangs the fish, lol

We were eating lunch one day and this guy I was working with, who is one of my closest friends to this day, came walking around the corner of the house wearing it around his neck like a necklace, walking in this totally loopy way, arms extended over his head with this exaggerated limp like Flava Flav, the float swinging crazily around his knees. He looks at us and shouts what I think I will name this boat:

"YEAH BUOY"

Sorta related and makes me laugh:
buoy.jpg

IMG_20170524_101533.jpgSo one of the guests at the lodge I ran holds the trademark for" Shut Up And Fish" over the years and the multiple times per year that he came, we became very good friends. He also brought all the crew lots of swag with the logo on it. He was upset when I decided to retire but we remained good friends to this day. When I bought my Trophy he jokingly told me I should name it Shut Up and Fish" so I did. I get lots of comments from the tourist crowd sitting on the dock at Telegraph Cove like " love the name of your boat", I tell them it's not the name, it's the on board instructions.

Well un like some on here I bought a boat instead of a crazy vacation with my wife. We took the boat out and had engine issues right off the hop. By the time we finally got back to the ramp my wife was spitting nails and expressed her dislike for the boat by throwing stuff out like my paddles “we needed for most of the day “ so naturally we named ours “ THE DIRTY OAR”

I made up several names that I kinda liked and let the grandkids vote on the one they liked the best.

My wife and I felt the same (as OP) about clever, funny names as they just didn't mean anything to us. With her retiring and me to follow shortly after, we thought we'd like to spend some of our leisure time exploring BC's beautiful coast. We came up with 'Coasting' to reflect both our hobby and our circumstances.
Because my wife was a teacher before retirement I offered to name the boat No Class but she wasn’t fond of it. She also didn’t like Bottom Bouncer because she thought it was a bad omen in a self-fulfilling prophecy kind of way. That wasn’t one of the meanings I had in mind.

All the boats I've had over yrs never had names, until I bought my Campion 552 from a fellow in Deep Cove. It was already named "Spring Fever"
hence my handle.
When I sold her to get the 2359, which had no name, everyone was saying
"thats an upgrade" so in keeping with the cell phone craze that seems to push upgrades I named the 2359 "Spring Fever 2.0"

with all the boats I've had over yrs it should be 9.0 doh!

hmmm can't remember it was over 35 years ago, way before the tv show but hmmmm can't remember lol , other than I always made er back home and the first Sir-Vivor was a 14ft glass with a 40 on er with only a 5 inch free board and it was a gamble every time I launched it lol

When I bought my boat it was named Kingfisher Bill. With no disrespect for the previous owner, It had to be renamed and commissioned to something that was related to my own personal lifestyle & character, plus reflect how I fly....Hence the name Helter Skelter... Wikipedia & Websters describe the definition as Chaos, Mahem, Turmoil, Disorderly Haste, or Confusion.....Lol... It pretty much nails it when you have on a double header and pulling up Downrigger Balls, Steering the boat, where the F_#k did the net get to , etc, etc...??? Being aware of the maritime superstition that improperly renaming a vessel would bring on the ominous curse of bad luck I did my research. Confident that I would be going by the rules, I spent a few hours on my computer to come up with my own design of the new decals and had them made at the local sign shop. With the boat in the water and the old decals removed we proceeded with honouring the previous name of the vessel, along with breaking a bottle of Champagne over the bow...The boat was officially mine now !!

Attachments

• 536E7294-EFE0-43AF-A5B5-B167B7B6E925.png
    536E7294-EFE0-43AF-A5B5-B167B7B6E925.png
    15 KB · Views: 66
  • 2655407C-BA41-4B02-BD14-25AD6DC493A8.jpeg
    2655407C-BA41-4B02-BD14-25AD6DC493A8.jpeg
    239.5 KB · Views: 61
Back