How close can I mount my Point1 to my 3G dome?

Olde School

Hello, everyone.

My radar arch has a pair of antenna-type mounts on either side of the radar dome mounting plate.
The starboard antenna mount is in use for my VHF.
I would LOVE to mount the Point1 on the port antenna mount.

I'm stymied with these problems: Lowrance indicates I need a minimum of 20" from the dome to the Point1 unit, and 6' (72") from the Point1 unit to the VHF antenna.
a) The port antenna mount is only approximately 10" from the radar dome. That is 10" closer than Lowrance's recommendation.
b) The starboard antenna mount, is approximately 40" from the port antenna mount. That is 32" closer than Lowrance's recommendation.

Have any of you mounted the Point1 closer than Lowrance recommends, and if so, were there any impacts on the performance of the components?

Thank you.

To answer your question,no I haven't mounted it closer than recommended.The 'Point1" is a very small piece that I've mounted in front of the windshield giving it enough clearance,might work for you.

Funny you post this i just posted on this subject yesterday. I have also written about this in the past, best thing to do if you really want to know if it will work is just just loosely wire it in place just stick it down with duct tape, and then take it out for a ride and see if it calibrates well and works with the radar on. if you are doing overlay, you will want to make sure that really works accurately before making a final decision on placement. When i was installing mine i thought i had a magnetism problem because mine wouldn't calibrate (turns out it was a NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 interference) and ended up downloading a magnetic field app for my smartphone (they are free and readily available). Do that and check where you are putting it by hovering your phone there. Ideally you want to keep it under 60 microtesla to ensure there is minimal interference. Additionally, in the Lowrance calibration menu for the Point1 it will tell you what the magnetic field is, I cant remember what it looks like but I vaguely recall wanting a number lower than 15 in that slot. PM me if you need further details.

I like the idea of turning my device into a magnetometer. I had read that on THT.
The question seems to be: are the mounting guidelines applicable to ALL radar, are do the new broadband units affect heading sensors less/more?

Olde school, here is my mounting and no problems what so ever for past 5 years.
Left antenna AM/FM radio, Right antenna VHF and Point 1 .
My overlay is working fantastic and is unbelievable accurate ... love it !

point 1.jpg

Thank you, sir-vivor. I do note that your Point-1 is low on your radar arch. I will look into that as a mounting spot!

Thank you, sir-vivor. I do note that your Point-1 is low on your radar arch. I will look into that as a mounting spot!
I thought so to when I installed it 5 years ago.... but , I use my radar at least 3 times a year and many times in nice clear weather to make sure of it accuracy , its spot on so like they say "if its not broken ..... don't fix it "

Back