How big are your balls? 15 vs 18 vs 20 with Scotty 1106 Riggers

Using this as an example wouldn’t the pancake shape be the best.

50557254572_91c3a1f1be_c.jpg
I didn't want to get into but yah that's what I was thinking. As the current record holder for the BC high School electrathon challenge :rolleyes: I spent a lot of time making pointed wings like that out of foam to reduce drag.

I didn't want to get into but yah that's what I was thinking. As the current record holder for the BC high School electrathon challenge :rolleyes: I spent a lot of time making pointed wings like that out of foam to reduce drag.
Ha. Pretty sure you are the in second spot in the elecrtrathon record books. Lol.

That's awesome! I recognize that jeep near the end. Was always impressed with their fiberglass work. Didn't see my car. The race at science world was cool. I remember them saying we were using part of the indy track.

That's awesome! I recognize that jeep near the end. Was always impressed with their fiberglass work. Didn't see my car. The race at science world was cool. I remember them saying we were using part of the indy track.
It was pretty awesome at the time for sure.

This has been discussed at length on here several times and every time I read about it I say to myself "Im going to conduct an experiment and figure it out once and for all", and then I never do for a myriad of reasons.

I suspect that since the speeds are so much lower trolling than in flight, the area density matters more than the friction coefficient.

The simplest thing to do would be to test it, the next simplest would be to get a physics degree in fluid dynamics :eek:

I asked the P. Eng at work. This is the formula he suggested.

Drag=(.5)*(density of fluid)*(velocity)*(drag coefficient)*(area) Based on the above, the greater the surface area, the greater the drag given all else is constant.

I asked the P. Eng at work. This is the formula he suggested.

Drag=(.5)*(density of fluid)*(velocity)*(drag coefficient)*(area) Based on the above, the greater the surface area, the greater the drag given all else is constant.
You have to add in the fact that the pancakes are generally "tuned" like a rudder to send them outward and away from eachother. Thus making them slightly broadside, that has to make significantly more drag.

You have to add in the fact that the pancakes are generally "tuned" like a rudder to send them outward and away from eachother. Thus making them slightly broadside, that has to make significantly more drag.
For sure. I think the sphere wins cause it has the smallest surface area.

For sure. I think the sphere wins cause it has the smallest surface area.
Maybe those that designed them know what they are doing????
Paint will prevent pitting; a pitted surface will have more area to create drag.

One day someone will hang different balls down at equal lengths and troll on to a shallow spot and see which ball hits first, then post the findings for us to peer review. Knucklehead science at its finest.

One day someone will hang different balls down at equal lengths and troll on to a shallow spot and see which ball hits first, then post the findings for us to peer review. Knucklehead science at its finest.

yah but someone will still dispute it on this siteo_O

If my new boats ready within the next month I can probably conduct a highly scientific and very official experiment, so we can put this issue to bed for once and for all. Ill have to spend some time getting everything dialed in anyways, break in the motors, etc

Those that have experienced a very slow retrieval with 1106’s and heavier weights I wonder if it’s attributed to having too small of wire feeding power to the riggers. Running a heavier weight obviously draws more power requiring more amperage. With to light of wire it will effect it.

Those that have experienced a very slow retrieval with 1106’s and heavier weights I wonder if it’s attributed to having too small of wire feeding power to the riggers. Running a heavier weight obviously draws more power requiring more amperage. With to light of wire it will effect it.
That is very true; at least according to electrical theory. It is both the gauge of the wire & total distance of the wire run as smaller wire has more resistance per foot than larger wire. Also, the run length is properly calculated as both positive & negative wires. #8 wire will fit into the plug terminal clamps but do not fit thru the boot.

Back