How big are your balls? 15 vs 18 vs 20 with Scotty 1106 Riggers

I'm cheap so I use 15 lbers which can still be found for $25 and then do one of these if needed:
put out more braid
reduce drag by taking off the long gangen I use for stacking
fish with a plug or spoon or bait without a flasher
catch my salmon higher up, then go slower and deep for hali on a flasher and turd
tie on a 2lb hali weight on a short leash.

I only fish on the west coast. The occasional Fraser mouth trip is like the guy with a sore neck and a crowd around him looking at a jumper on a tall building who isn't there, so doesn't really count.

Last edited:
Been using 18lbs for years now. Tried the 20lbs but I don’t winter fish anymore...... and the guys that tell you that 1106 can’t handle 18lbs is a farce.... ran them for years on 1106’s without a single issue at all. I use 15lbs for the 3rd rigger off the stern.

I use 18's on my old 1106's when i want to fish much over 150 ft and there's lots of current
I spoke with Scotty and while they say you can run 18's on 1106's, they do not recommend it. They said the 1106's are tested for 20, but should be used with 15 max.

My question to you - any real world issues running 18's? Certainly times I would like to, but I also don't want to damage anything either... I think I am overly paranoid.

I spoke with Scotty and while they say you can run 18's on 1106's, they do not recommend it. They said the 1106's are tested for 20, but should be used with 15 max.

My question to you - any real world issues running 18's? Certainly times I would like to, but I also don't want to damage anything either... I think I am overly paranoid.

i found over a couple seasons of running 18's on 1106 that the drum would lose its roundness from the braid being wrapped so tight. at least that is what i think was happening.
warped drum. thats fishing with 260' out.

i found over a couple seasons of running 18's on 1106 that the drum would lose its roundness from the braid being wrapped so tight. at least that is what i think was happening.
warped drum. thats fishing with 260' out.
Thanks! That is precisely the kind of damage I was wondering about.

Bill Nye woul use a example

Tie a string to a flat piece of paper and it will fly around, crunch that paper into a ball and it will drag on the floor.
hahaha, love this analogy BUT the consistency of water is slightly different than air (never mind current and pendulum drag). I would really like a scientific study done on it , be very interesting to see out come.

One important factor that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread: Most of the COATED balls that I've seen are cast iron, not lead. They are much bigger in volume than a lead ball of the same weight. Bigger balls = more blowback ;-)

Thanks! That is precisely the kind of damage I was wondering about.

Hey Scott! when the drum warps or cracks due to the weight and tightness of the braid, the drum replacement is like, $5 . it’s two parts that bolt together, and it’s always one side ( bottom i think) that breaks.i did it myself. easy peasy. i’ve been running 15’s for at least ten years and one finally just went on me.

I'm surprised the that nobody has mentioned the dimple effect that non coated gives you vs. coated. I'm convinced nice smooth coated balls have way more blow back than the rough surface on a non. Think golf balls.

hahaha, love this analogy BUT the consistency of water is slightly different than air (never mind current and pendulum drag). I would really like a scientific study done on it , be very interesting to see out come.

This is fishing. People do what they do and stand by it to the death for fear that any change may result in fewer fish. Scientific study, pfft.

15lbrfor yrs now...just made up 10 for son and myself...good for awhile

@Rain City ..1 turned out like a golf ball after painting, View attachment 58220 View attachment 58221 View attachment 58222 View attachment 58223 View attachment 58224 View attachment 58225 View attachment 58226 View attachment 58228 a bit to hot when i painted..will watch for a difference between a smooth 1 next time out
You can brand them as "The Avocado Balls" when they turn into a huge success :)

Using this as an example wouldn’t the pancake shape be the best.

50557254572_91c3a1f1be_c.jpg

Back