Hot Bearing

KCW

One bearing on my trailer is getting way too hot. New hub , new brakes and new bearings. I have put a new set in and they were still getting hot. The last set I took to my mechanic friend who did it all , still getting too hot to touch . Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Is it actually the bearing creating the heat, or perhaps your brakes are dragging slightly and causing the heat buildup?

I would lean towards a brake hanging up too and causing the heat.

discs or drum brakes? electric, electric over hydraulic, or surge? could be as mentioned... too much preload on bearings or brakes setup a bit too tight if drum.... checking preload on bearing is fairly easy to do. just jack up the wheel, remove bearing cover. remove cotter pin on crown nut. back off nut a couple turns. tighten it till you start to feel a bit of resistance. back it off a couple flats...(1/4 to 1/3 revolution.) re-instal cotter pin. re-instal bearing cover. remove jack on axle...
to see if brakes are dragging, when you have the wheel jacked up it should turn fairly easily with no dragging... you should be able to hear if it's dragging...

Thanks for the Reponses , I will check the surge brakes again. Heading to Nootka in a few weeks and do not want any problems..

Thanks for the Reponses , I will check the surge brakes again. Heading to Nootka in a few weeks and do not want any problems..
Only 3 things cause overheating bearings, brakes, bearings too tight, or bad bearings-since a mechanic put in new bearings and I assume he would know how to pre-load them as per bigdogeah and the other 3 are ok-my money is a bad brake actuator or a piece of brake has broken off and wedged. He would have seen that so-bad brake adjustment or a sticking brake actuator. Back off the adjustor-spin the wheel-should be free-no dragging-tighten the adjustor til it drags-back it off til it doesn't drag. Apply the brakes several times-if the brake drags after any application -change out the actuator.

Another possible problem is the brake hose is going bad. In the shop, we had collapsed brake hose where the inside layer restricted and wouldn't let the fluid return to the master cylinder. With wheel jacked up spin, have someone actuate cylinder, make sure wheel spins freely once cylinder is released.
Ted

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Definitely fix that before you go!
It is also a good idea to have the parts, tools and knowledge to replace a bearing yourself before you go, especially when travelling to remote areas. Have had to change bearings on the side of the road twice now, both times in the middle of nowhere. Made the difference between a successful trip and a disastrous one.

Definitely fix that before you go!
It is also a good idea to have the parts, tools and knowledge to replace a bearing yourself before you go, especially when travelling to remote areas. Have had to change bearings on the side of the road twice now, both times in the middle of nowhere. Made the difference between a successful trip and a disastrous one.

second that!

After having to do this several times on the side of the road I have now gone to the extreme in terms of preparation.

For long road trips I just bought a backup drum with new bearings and seals fully greased ready to slip on if needed. No need to immediately clean and hammer out old seals and bearings that way.

Back