Hooray, Bottom paint

reb

Starting sanding, and sanding and more sanding. Finally got it down to hull, on one side anyway. Just wondering if there a better type of sandpaper to use than just regular sandpaper for this (marine grade paint sandpaper?) Used 50 to get through what was left of the abaltive coat and 80 for the primer coat. Other thoughts are that it is what it is and just keep sanding. I dont want to use chemicals as it is in buddys back yard. His wifes already stoked that its there, dont wanna push my luck. Haha

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1413667434610.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1413667434610.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 756
  • uploadfromtaptalk1413667773024.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1413667773024.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 757
I`d be tempted to use a small mini grinder and a flapper (blending) wheel.... something similar to this... (change xx`s to tt`s) but a palm sander and some rough grit might do just as well.... maybe do a neater job. been fortunate i don`t have to do mine as i take it out of the water after each trip... (maybe in the water a couple weeks at a time at the most)

hxxp://www.tradekorea.com/product/detail/P225631/Abrasives-Flap-Disc.html

Thanks bigdog I will check that out.
Put another hour into tonight, found that sanding by hand is faster than palm sander on ablative layer for whatever reason.

Haha. My buddies bug me about that, was waiting for comment. Thats the bait pump and wash down pump. Came with the boat, works good, never changed.

pressure washer doesn't touch my bottom paint.....seaweed when its moored does a hell of a good job of taking it off though :mad:

GnB

Have you considered using a media blaster, walnut shells, baking soada etc, takes off the paint no marks on the metal. And no mess in the yard.

is this even finished yet? slacker...

Back