Scratch in bottom paint

MikePA

I recently bought a 2017 boat that was freshly bought and painted. I do not plan on mooring the boat, I trailer it, so it was not a feature I was all that keen on but anyway. Today we were coming back in on a super low tide and I guess scraped on a rock at the dock. There are two scratches on either side of the bow that looks like it goes through two layers of paint; one black one Gray and then a white layer which I assume is the gelcoat. Is this worth repairing/repainting the sections, or should I just leave it since I don't plan on mooring it anyway? If I were to repair it would it require sanding, priming and reapplying the paint. They are fairly small scratches probably 4 inches long by 2 cm wide.

I
I recently bought a 2017 boat that was freshly bought and painted. I do not plan on mooring the boat, I trailer it, so it was not a feature I was all that keen on but anyway. Today we were coming back in on a super low tide and I guess scraped on a rock at the dock. There are two scratches on either side of the bow that looks like it goes through two layers of paint; one black one Gray and then a white layer which I assume is the gelcoat. Is this worth repairing/repainting the sections, or should I just leave it since I don't plan on mooring it anyway? If I were to repair it would it require sanding, priming and reapplying the paint. They are fairly small scratches probably 4 inches long by 2 cm wide.
I wouldn't give it a thought. Even if you were mooring your boat, it's not a big deal. Cosmetic only.

Wouldn't worry about bottom paint but depending on how bad the scratch is in gelcoat, might tape off and recoat just the scratch in gel coat.

If the scratch has gone through the gelcoat to the polyester I would repair and repaint just to be on the safe side. It is an easy & quick fix...

When you say two layers of paint, could the black be the bottom paint and the grey a primer/sealer over the white gel coat. If so, clean (sand a small groove) up the area of the scratches, apply some gelcoat repair like marine-tex so that it just sits proud of the hull but not the bottom paint. Apply more black bottom paint and carry on.

When you say two layers of paint, could the black be the bottom paint and the grey a primer/sealer over the white gel coat. If so, clean (sand a small groove) up the area of the scratches, apply some gelcoat repair like marine-tex so that it just sits proud of the hull but not the bottom paint. Apply more black bottom paint and carry on.
Thanks!

Back