Hoochie rig

opto55

Do you use a singe hook or 2 hooks in tandem when tying a hoochie? How long is your leader and what is the # test? Thank you.

Use 2 hooks. I use 40lb test. As for leader length, it can vary. Depends if you are targeting springs or coho. I go shorter for Coho (32"-36") and longer for springs (42").

quote:Originally posted by opto55

Do you use a singe hook or 2 hooks in tandem when tying a hoochie? How long is your leader and what is the # test? Thank you.
Two in tandem is better.. if it's legal. Can a person still use hooks in tandem or is everything single barbless? [?]

I find the best way to rig a hootchie is 40lb test leader to a swivel,
with a single siwash hook crimped on and the hootchie slid over top.
Try to get the hook level with the bottom of the skirt using glow
beads or a small bead chain for spacers.

36 to 42" leader

Use a good size single on a swivel.
You will land just as many fish (maybe more) and there is less damage done to released fish. The single on a swivel really helps to keep the line from twisting.

I use 40lb for hootchies and 30lb for squirts. I measure from the tip of my nose to the end of my extended arm for all species.

Tips

One large hook best for deep hook set and you can release a fish without touching it or bringing it on board in seconds by holding the leader with one hand and turning the hook upside down with a gaff in the other hand and a quick shake. An old commercial fishing trick.

I use one 5/0 single on a swivel make sure the end of the hook is even with the end of the skirt,minimum 30 lb test with another good quality swivel at the flasher end,I go 2.5 times,to 3.5 times the lenghth of the flasher.Play with the lenghts each person and thier boat will fish slightly different.Also much easier to release fish with one hook.DAN

Single siwash and swivel works great. I haven't used a 2 hook set-up since getting a 5.0 Gammi through my finger while releasing an undersized spring last year...2 lb spring thrashing wildly on the lead hook, trailing hook deep in the back of my finger...getting deeper by the second...me screaming like a little girl[:I][:0]

Oh Yeah, forgot to mention about that other hook flapping around,thats one of the reasons I went to the single hook,same thing that happened to Backatit happened to my brother 30 odd years ago,I thought it was pretty funny at the time,man it was a high pitched scream,what was even funnier was he was in the bottom of the boat facing away from me on his knees, bent over,with this 10 lb coho 's tail sticking out at the base of his butt, between his legs, flapping at a hundred miles an hour.Hmmm.I guess thats one of the reasons he retired from fishing with me.One of those bonding moments.DAN

quote:Originally posted by Backatit

Single siwash and swivel works great. I haven't used a 2 hook set-up since getting a 5.0 Gammi through my finger while releasing an undersized spring last year...2 lb spring thrashing wildly on the lead hook, trailing hook deep in the back of my finger...getting deeper by the second...me screaming like a little girl[:I][:0]

- One way to solve that problem where the other hook is near your hands is to get a hook remover. This keeps the hook futher away and it is much faster.

I was using long nosed pliers...not sure how it happened, I was definitely careless. I think I grabbed the hook and turned it over, slipped, the fish stayed on and the other hook went in my finger. My "buddy" was laughing his butt off...and yes the scream was pretty high pitched. We were in Qualicum, and you guys in Sooke might've heard me.

Back