Home heat prob

Lipripper

Our house is base board heat. The temp when I got home was 25+ C........ The thermostat was off...
First thought, the thermostat is gone. Changed it but the heat doesnt shut off, it is nice but thats what the wood stove is for...

Any Ideas?

TIA

Are you sure the new thermostat is hooked up properly?
Also are you sure the thermostat you replaced was the one for the baseboard that was on or are they all on?
Is it a baseboard thermostat or one on the wall?

Turn the breaker off to that heater for now and I'll ask my boss tomorrow what the proplem may be.

Was it working properly before? Have you been using it all week?

OK, I just talked to my boss, and he said that it's probably a bad splice in the thermostat box. Most likely the switch leg has been spliced directly onto the hot so it has power constantly.

You obviously aren't scared to change the thermostat so I have a test for you. Turn off the power to the baseboard and take the thermostat off the wall. Look in the box and see if there's two wires or three entering the back of the box. If there's three, it's probably a bad splice and you'll have to ring out the feed and the switch leg, and resplice it.

If there's only two wires, I'll have to get back to you.

One more question; is it a new house?

Not a new house. It worked yesterday. This is a remote thermostat to a line of three heaters. I can't get nothing but a .3V jump in the meter but it isnt constant on either wire (yes 2 wire) I dont have any "reel" [:I] good grounds in the area for the meter either but should have got something
The only thing I can think is that shaw was here on monday putting more cable in the house and could have punched a wire with a screw or something but it didnt start doing this till today and I cant see a spot where they put a screw that would be anywhere near where the wires would be[?]
Breaker is going off if I dont get this done tonight.....

Thx adrianna3 [8D]

Is It low voltage or line voltage?,sounds like low voltage to me.If it is, go find the heat relays,may be mounted by the panel or in one of the jb's on the end of the heater,they are about 2 inches by an inch and a half,by an inch,and should say honeywell on it.If your not sure if low voltage or line voltage the stat will be a two wire #18 control wire(size of door bell wire).If it is give the relay a whack with a screw driver handle that will usally free them up temporaly.If it is a line stat it will more than likley be a #14 or #12 wire(normal size house wire think loomex) and should read 240 volts,don't **** arond with that it hurts when you make a mistake.More info please,Dan

Atta boy Danthewire..... and thanks HALILAMA.
Yup, A couple minor taps and it released and alls fine again. Started in the base board line but no relays there[V]. It was right beside the box. Ill get a new one tomorrow but its working again and will give us reprive from this 30 degree weather [8D]

Thanks for the help guys [8D]

Adrianna 3,Yeah been wiring for ummm....37 years now just about time to hang it up.Been a good run.Glad you got it going Lipripper,KEEP TRACK of those wires when you disconnect,been more than a few guys cross it up.Dan

Back