Hippa Island

R

rollyg

I fish qcl every year and im looking for a change.I heard about hippa island and i was wondering if anyone has been there to experience the fishing there? How would you compare hippa island to qcl?

Hippa is the place to be for big butts for sure. Water can be very big as it is on the West Side of the islands. Much less crowded that the North Coast but your best chance at a fiddy plus would be Naden/Largara more than the Kano Hippa route.

ya, i have gotten my tyee at naden harbour, but i wanted to try somewhere else...i heard about hippa and it seemed pretty interesting, have you been to hippa?

I've been to Hippa-fair fishing at best but that was a dozen years ago if not more.

I understand that there were lots of Springs on WCQCI so maybe it'll be the same this year being as how the top end was so slow most of the time.

God help you if the weather turns to dirt though it can be a scary spot not just ugly like most of the outside but scary [}:)]

I have been to qcl several times,i have always done well, i just wanted a new experience, i read a few articles about hippa and it interested me. The bottom fishing looks great and the springs look good as well.
quote:Originally posted by Dogbreath

I've been to Hippa-fair fishing at best but that was a dozen years ago if not more.

I understand that there were lots of Springs on WCQCI so maybe it'll be the same this year being as how the top end was so slow most of the time.

God help you if the weather turns to dirt though it can be a scary spot not just ugly like most of the outside but scary [}:)]

quote:Originally posted by rollyg

I have been to qcl several times,i have always done well, i just wanted a new experience, i read a few articles about hippa and it interested me. The bottom fishing looks great and the springs look good as well.
quote:Originally posted by Dogbreath

If you're going in your own "boat" I'd recommend against it.

I've been to Hippa once. I'd recommend ditching Hippa and sticking around Langara. It rare that the water is actually "calm" and there's always a swell or something or other, and if it's been blowing SW or NW for a while, it'll take days to come down.

There's just no need to run down there and it's going to eat up a lot of gas not to mention the element of risk involved. There's plenty of halibut to be found closer to Langara and I know that the long liners really work the area around Hippa for Halis.

Just my 0.02 from experience.

There's always plenty of Halibut to be caught around Langara if you target them, and still some good areas for Rockfish, however you may have to look a bit as the fishing pressure is huge. Even on the West and North Sides they've been fished hard for rockfish.

The best thing about Langara is that there's TONS of prime water to be found, no matter what direction the wind is blowing.

As for springs, on the typical day around Langara you should be hooking more than "just a few springs", and lodges are close at hand with mechanics, shelter and fuel.

rollyg, I work for the charter operator at Hippa I sent you an email with further info.

Back