Highway Springs

Cornfed

Here are a couple of the springs (25 and 23 lbs) we caught on the US side of the highway. Tomic plugs are my new favorite lure. They hit the 6 in. 602 and 500, 50' back, 90' on the rigger, trolled at 3.5 mph. They were all white meat springs. Also got this 70 lb hali. close in. Last Chance - You are right....Big baits plus close in equals big fish.

DSCN0620.jpg

DSCN0624.jpg

nice fish! but where's the US side of the Highway? I thought the "highway" was off the west coast of the island north of any US water?

In my mind, the "Highway" runs on a roughly 300' ridge from the north end of VI to the Columbia River. This ridge stops somewhere mid VI, but the springs keep going. We caught these fish at American Blue Dot which is a stop that the springs make on their way to VI or back to the river. They were all full of 7 inch herring. The coho were too! But their stomachs can only hold one a piece right now since they aren't very big. The key for us was finding birds and lots of them! We got 2 springs the next day but had to work for them and the bait was not as thick, the birds were not as thick, and the dogfish were nowhere to be seen. The first day, the doggies were so thick that they were finning everywhere on top and they would follow the salmon to the boat. The second day, for whatever reason, the water had a brackish brownish color to it. Any ideas on what this was?

brown water or tea is plankton rich, you need to switch to other stuff w that water. My first choice would be a Red flasher and a Plankton hootchie. See my top ten King Hootchies post or pic in my gallery on ifish....

Plankton seems likes the logical answer. The only thing I can't figure out is if there was more plankton in the water, then how come their wasn't more baitfish feeding on the plankton, and therefore more birds, and ultimately more springs? It seemed like the birds disappeared and the dogfish that we saw the day before finning on the surface were no longer there.

Back