High Tech Jigging

That is how I do it and also a little slower version of that with a higher rod lift and a bit longer drop followed by that action again. Scary how often the salmon is right next to it if I am bringing it all the way in. The secret is doing it enough so you have the confidence to keep it up. Your success rate will soar

That is how I do it and also a little slower version of that with a higher rod lift and a bit longer drop followed by that action again. Scary how often the salmon is right next to it if I am bringing it all the way in. The secret is doing it enough so you have the confidence to keep it up. Your success rate will soar
i had a 14 pound spring hit my jig right 25 feet from the boat as i reeled my flatfall in to jockey over the bait. i was reeling as fast as i could. man they’re fast

That is a jig stroke I haven't tried for sure. It would be interesting to see what they think of that. I will second how fast they are, they swim faster than any of us can reel. By a lot. I'm sure we've all seen how many have boiled right at the surface after burning it up as fast as we can 100 feet to reset.
fb

Try Gale Force on you tube-good looking ladies but also lots of info-put in slow pitch jigging-if you are a conventional jigger this will get you into hi-tech jigging

Reactions: RBL
Try Gale Force on you tube-good looking ladies but also lots of info-put in slow pitch jigging-if you are a conventional jigger this will get you into hi-tech jigging
Lots of fish hit on a fast jerky retrieve.

Lots of fish hit on a fast jerky retrieve.
Agreed however I think I get 50% or more fish on the straight drop on free spool than anything else. I’ll do it all. Fast retrieve they eat it. Fast jigging retrieve they eat it. Slow pitch jig, they eat it. When I see fish on the screen that are active I don’t need to jig. Drop to the fish depth, come back up through them and drop again. Don’t get me wrong I get that these things are fast and they eat in all retrieves but the majority of eats are on freespool down. Then the thump happens….lock it and reel down hard, you’re in!

was out at francisco point last night and found bait and quickly had two nice hatchery coho to the boat. man they’re getting big. one was pushing 8 lbs.

i dropped back down and had a vicious strike that i missed, so i gave a couple quick jigs and another violent take and my line went completely slack. fish had tore the jig right off the line.

As i’m fairly new to slow pitch, i am noticing this has happened quite often to me; and at $25 per jig, i’d like it to stop. One thing i’ve observed, is you can get a large fish to the boat quite quickly, where they thrash around violently as you attempt to free them (in the case of a wild coho. )
I think this is adding undue strain to the knot and leading to knot failure. i also had a friend tell me to check the knots regularly after each battle.

i’m using heavier mono with a good old clench knot. any thoughts?

When you are on them there is no quicker way to the fish than the jig. I can’t count how many doubles we’ve had this year. It’s been nuts out there. This is a good pic of what the screen has looked like a lot in the last few weeks. 89’ was not the bottom. It was the top of the bait that was 70’ or more thick sandwiched to the bottom. Love it!
That is sexy.

was out at francisco point last night and found bait and quickly had two nice hatchery coho to the boat. man they’re getting big. one was pushing 8 lbs.

i dropped back down and had a vicious strike that i missed, so i gave a couple quick jigs and another violent take and my line went completely slack. fish had tore the jig right off the line.

As i’m fairly new to slow pitch, i am noticing this has happened quite often to me; and at $25 per jig, i’d like it to stop. One thing i’ve observed, is you can get a large fish to the boat quite quickly, where they thrash around violently as you attempt to free them (in the case of a wild coho. )
I think this is adding undue strain to the knot and leading to knot failure. i also had a friend tell me to check the knots regularly after each battle.

i’m using heavier mono with a good old clench knot. any thoughts? in the area you are working
Dogfish?? or very big ling-I have taken 2 over 25 in that area-one was over 30-with the gear we are using we are close to the tackle limits I have switched back to 40 mono-had failures with flouro-same knot-not coming undone-just seems to get brittle after a few big fish. Tremendous strain on that gear with a big fish hitting-no give in the braid-no release clip or downrigger line to absorb the shock and hell my rod and reel weighs-nothing much-something has to give so if anything is weak and a 30 +fish hits with momentum -disaster will happen. Get back on the horse!!LOL

Spring fever, are you catching with your reworked foiled jigs or are the flat falls superior to anything else?

i’m using heavier mono with a good old clench knot. any thoughts?
Ditch the clinch knots with heavy mono and floro. Uni knot and pull it tight. It won’t let go.
I’ve switched from floro back to 40lb maxima for the leader. It’s cheaper and have not noticed any difference as far as catching fish or jigs tangling. It’s stiff enough. Way cheaper. Landed a 22lb ling on it yesterday. Same area.

Dogfish?? or very big ling-I have taken 2 over 25 in that area-one was over 30-with the gear we are using we are close to the tackle limits I have switched back to 40 mono-had failures with flouro-same knot-not coming undone-just seems to get brittle after a few big fish. Tremendous strain on that gear with a big fish hitting-no give in the braid-no release clip or downrigger line to absorb the shock and hell my rod and reel weighs-nothing much-something has to give so if anything is weak and a 30 +fish hits with momentum -disaster will happen. Get back on the horse!!LOL
i was fishing top side of a very large bait ball and was getting into scrappy coho looking for a chinook. plus the take was super violent. think it was silver

i was fishing top side of a very large bait ball and was getting into scrappy coho looking for a chinook. plus the take was super violent. think it was silver
I had many clinch knots come apart on heavy line before I started using the uni. Not saying your line didn’t break but my guess is the clinch knot. It’s very hard to get them to buckle down IMO.

Last edited:
I had many clinch knots come apart on heat line before I started using the uni. Not saying your line didn’t break but my guess is the clinch knot. It’s very hard to get them to buckle down IMO.
yup i’ll give it a shot. i’m very comfortable tying uni. thanks!

How many fish did you have before you lost your jig? Was your leader cut up at all from the salmon teeth?

Spring fever, are you catching with your reworked foiled jigs or are the flat falls superior to anything else?
Depends-if they are on herring the flat falls are best--earlier they were on big needle fish and the foiled strikers or long jigs were unbeatable. Just for the record a few of my flat falls have had the finish eaten off so they are now foiled and work great

Hey guys-I know everyone knows this including me but a reminder-I had a more than solid day jigging yesterday in the rain-see campbell river reports- I had to switch rods yesterday from an epic birdsnest caused by a coho hitting on the free spool drop with some jerk (me) not on the thumb properly. So sorted it out this morning and discovered that my hooks were not that sharp. They are always sticky-had perhaps 50 hits yesterday-some right after another. If you are getting fish or are into them make sure your hooks are still good.
I’ll stick with an 80 grit rub on my old rust brown hooks, after gas and bait I’ll be damned if I’m wasting $1.50 on a new hook. 😎

When you are on them there is no quicker way to the fish than the jig. I can’t count how many doubles we’ve had this year. It’s been nuts out there. This is a good pic of what the screen has looked like a lot in the last few weeks. 89’ was not the bottom. It was the top of the bait that was 70’ or more thick sandwiched to the bottom. Love it!
Most of the archs on that shot are dogfish IMO. They tend to show up in a sine wave pattern.

Back