High Tech Jigging

Oh you have it bad my friend--just like me!! I'm disappointed when a friend wants to come because he wants to troll. Yeah it gets fish but it is not the same bang!!
haha yup. 18 keeper springs to the boat in less than three hours will do that to a guy! but man: electronics are key. the guy whose boat i was on was able to find bait going 20 mph.

wife not letting me sell the 185 btw

When you are on them there is no quicker way to the fish than the jig. I can’t count how many doubles we’ve had this year. It’s been nuts out there. This is a good pic of what the screen has looked like a lot in the last few weeks. 89’ was not the bottom. It was the top of the bait that was 70’ or more thick sandwiched to the bottom. Love it!

Attachments

• IMG_9636.jpeg
    IMG_9636.jpeg
    299.5 KB · Views: 131
haha yup. 18 keeper springs to the boat in less than three hours will do that to a guy! but man: electronics are key. the guy whose boat i was on was able to find bait going 20 mph.

wife not letting me sell the 185 btw
What’s he run for electronics?

When you are on them there is no quicker way to the fish than the jig. I can’t count how many doubles we’ve had this year. It’s been nuts out there. This is a good pic of what the screen has looked like a lot in the last few weeks. 89’ was not the bottom. It was the top of the bait that was 70’ or more thick sandwiched to the bottom. Love it!
With a picture like that--"IT's SHOWTIME"!

two 12” hummingbirds. kinda surprised me cause i thought they were a lower end unit. apparently not! no idea what he uses for transducers
Transducer and it's placement are the key in that scenario, more important than the screen. Most likely a thu hull of some sort. Transom mounts are very difficult to get to work on plane.

I have an airmar P66 coupled with a Lowrance 7TI I can read well at 9 mph-after that it is birds and instinct
We have just a 50/200 transducer from Lowrance. Similar read speeds for us. If the stern is deep in the water and not quite on plane it reads.

I hear about chirp and side scan etc and thru hull mounts. I am looking forward to a transducer guru giving me a full review with pros and cons, costs, mounting difficulties, and tips without drilling a hole in the bottom of your boat.
Side scan sounds useful for jigging. What often happens to us is we look for bait for a while and don’t find it so put a couple of plugs down and cruise around at a fast troll. Then we find some bait, mark it and turn around and half the time it is gone or has moved a little or we lose it after one drop…it’s nearby but which way? Would side scan fix that problem?
We have a Gen 2 touch Lowrance. Would likely need to upgrade it as well as the transducer I guess.

I've been trying a 40 lb fluoro leader to each jig, 3 ft long. Then a snap and a bead for terminal hardware on the depth hunter braided main line. The stiff leader is important to keep the jig standing off the main line as it drops. Without the leader, you'll get tangles.

As to whether the leader can be connected to the jig via a snap or split ring, or tied directly to the jig, there's a bunch of opinions. The connection will affect the action of the lure, direct tie probably gives it the most most active presentation. Maybe. This isn't a science lab.

I started out with a couple of Shimano jigs and direct tied them, then acquired more and kept the same process. Using a split ring to a fluoro leader tied to the main line sounds good, but right now I couldn't be arsed charging it all. Maybe a winter project.
I've been using fluoro attached to the braid via an FG knot and a swivel on the end of the fluoro. All my jigs have high quality split rings (learned the hard way to not cheap out) on the rigging end and I got some aluminum pliers off Amazon that make changing via rings a breeze. Anecdotal boat side tests showed this set up gave the best action in my opinion, and it's the same set up used overseas to great effect. The low profile knot has the added bonus of easily moving through the guides if necessary, which enables the use of longer leaders as well!

I'll probably go to the cabin once more to close up in early October. Rods and jigs are here with me and I have split ring pliers. I guess I could change over one rod and a couple of jigs and see what I think then. Switch the rest of it over in winter if I like it better. At the very least I need to cut off a few feet of braid mainline to get rid of a season's worth of wear.

I love jigging for chinook. But I can't solve the riddle of Barkley with this technique. This last weekend, as I'm sure everybody knows, Barkley was loaded with biting springs. I killed the first couple to the boat after a pass or two trolling and put the net away for the day. Caught and released so many chinook on the troll is was almost ridiculous. A couple times I stopped on a pack, and they were eating horizontally trolled anything, but I couldn't for the life of me get one to bite any of my jigs. I tried all kinds of stuff. I have panoptix set up so I can see the fish real time respond to my stuff. They were interested. Chasing it around, and batting at it but not eating it. It was maddening. After awhile, after watching all the trollers around me yarding springs, I gave up and joined the drag crew and resumed the catching. This has happened a lot of times over the years on those Barkley fish when they return in August. I've caught a handful of them on jigs over the years, but not very many given the amount of effort put in. Does anybody have an idea? Those fish, there, have me stumped. I'm not bummed, great fishing! But not on the jig,
fb

I love jigging for chinook. But I can't solve the riddle of Barkley with this technique. This last weekend, as I'm sure everybody knows, Barkley was loaded with biting springs. I killed the first couple to the boat after a pass or two trolling and put the net away for the day. Caught and released so many chinook on the troll is was almost ridiculous. A couple times I stopped on a pack, and they were eating horizontally trolled anything, but I couldn't for the life of me get one to bite any of my jigs. I tried all kinds of stuff. I have panoptix set up so I can see the fish real time respond to my stuff. They were interested. Chasing it around, and batting at it but not eating it. It was maddening. After awhile, after watching all the trollers around me yarding springs, I gave up and joined the drag crew and resumed the catching. This has happened a lot of times over the years on those Barkley fish when they return in August. I've caught a handful of them on jigs over the years, but not very many given the amount of effort put in. Does anybody have an idea? Those fish, there, have me stumped. I'm not bummed, great fishing! But not on the jig,
fb
I personally have become a hybrid fisherman-I am ready to jig or troll. I love jigging but when bait is very difficult or impossible to find I troll. If I start marking bait I will go back and give it a go jigging. Its like all fishing not everything works all the time-a great fisherman overcomes obstacles and problems- and he's the guy that gets fish when nobody is. Hell I've even started carrying a live bait set-up=just in case. Don't over think it. Just a problem to be solved-they don't want jigs that day-ok-give them what they want.

Last edited:
fb
Which jig in particular were you using? I've found that sometimes they don't want it on the fall and like to chase it up before committing. Might also be worth trying a different presentation, slower or faster drops, pauses, etc.

Which jig in particular were you using? I've found that sometimes they don't want it on the fall and like to chase it up before committing. Might also be worth trying a different presentation, slower or faster drops, pauses, etc.
Agreed-the flat falls are really good however if the fish are taking needle fish then the long jigs like riptide strikers or any other long narrow quick drop jigs may do the trick

fb
The exact opposite happens some days too. We were jigging West Van one year and hauling in coho and pinks on Zingers. A couple of the guides came over and asked us for a few because their guests were tired of watching us do so much better.

I threw the whole box at them over the course of the trip. PW-darts (3 different sizes), coltsiper in a couple difft colors in 60 and 90g, shimano flat falls, etc. I varied my action a lot. I tried different scents. This is no anomaly. It's not like "oh, they just don't want it like that today". Those Barkley Robertson fish virtually NEVER want it jigged when they hit the sound. Like friggin never.

I am also a hybrid fisherman as you say. Probably the last 7-8 yrs I troll, and if I find something that is "jiggable", I'll convert over to vertical presentations, because it's more fun. When I say "jiggable", it's not always bait. Sometimes it is a current structure, or a hard topographical feature that is holding fish in one spot. Sometimes it is a wad of feed. Sometimes it is just a school of salmon. I never jig "blind". I usually troll to find em, and them convert. A lot of the time I do well jigging. In some areas (I fish all over the place) jigging is more successful than trolling.

It gets even more fun if you have 1500 bux burning a hole in your pocket and get Panoptix, to see how fish respond to your stuff. It can be very demoralizing when you see how salmon respond to your trolled offering (like more than 95% don't bite, even when the bite is on!). Very interesting to see how they respond to your jig in real time. I've learned a lot about fish behavior using it. Anyways, I cannot solve the riddle of the Robertson springs when they hit the sound, they gotta have it trolled for some reason.

I have talked with a friend who reports the same about these Robertson fish. He has a lot more experience there than me, and he's one of the best fishermen I know. I speculated that maybe a well mooched herring would solve the riddle, but he said he went through all the same thoughts, and came to the same conclusion through experience, that these fish gotta have it trolled. This is one of those riddles that makes fishing what it is for me. I guess that's a good thing.

Sorry for the long post,

fb

Early July one guide was getting 40% of his fish on the tiny jigs (2oz) meant to catch squid around the corner from Ukee in Barkley. Not sure what river they will spawn in.

I threw the whole box at them over the course of the trip. PW-darts (3 different sizes), coltsiper in a couple difft colors in 60 and 90g, shimano flat falls, etc. I varied my action a lot. I tried different scents. This is no anomaly. It's not like "oh, they just don't want it like that today". Those Barkley Robertson fish virtually NEVER want it jigged when they hit the sound. Like friggin never.

I am also a hybrid fisherman as you say. Probably the last 7-8 yrs I troll, and if I find something that is "jiggable", I'll convert over to vertical presentations, because it's more fun. When I say "jiggable", it's not always bait. Sometimes it is a current structure, or a hard topographical feature that is holding fish in one spot. Sometimes it is a wad of feed. Sometimes it is just a school of salmon. I never jig "blind". I usually troll to find em, and them convert. A lot of the time I do well jigging. In some areas (I fish all over the place) jigging is more successful than trolling.

It gets even more fun if you have 1500 bux burning a hole in your pocket and get Panoptix, to see how fish respond to your stuff. It can be very demoralizing when you see how salmon respond to your trolled offering (like more than 95% don't bite, even when the bite is on!). Very interesting to see how they respond to your jig in real time. I've learned a lot about fish behavior using it. Anyways, I cannot solve the riddle of the Robertson springs when they hit the sound, they gotta have it trolled for some reason.

I have talked with a friend who reports the same about these Robertson fish. He has a lot more experience there than me, and he's one of the best fishermen I know. I speculated that maybe a well mooched herring would solve the riddle, but he said he went through all the same thoughts, and came to the same conclusion through experience, that these fish gotta have it trolled. This is one of those riddles that makes fishing what it is for me. I guess that's a good thing.

Sorry for the long post,

fb
there is a speed technique that is kinda hard to do but it can be extremely effective prompting a bite. even when using jigs that are meant to be bitten on the drop; like a flatfall.

basically reel as fast as you humanly can and everytime your reel handle gets to 12 o’clock, also jig the rod. it’s hard to do. try and you tube it. basically a combo of that and a slow “ pitch” may trigger a bite. it would be interesting to see with your Panoptix what they do to the various jigging techniques

Back