High Tech Jigging

I've been trying a 40 lb fluoro leader to each jig, 3 ft long. Then a snap and a bead for terminal hardware on the depth hunter braided main line. The stiff leader is important to keep the jig standing off the main line as it drops. Without the leader, you'll get tangles.

As to whether the leader can be connected to the jig via a snap or split ring, or tied directly to the jig, there's a bunch of opinions. The connection will affect the action of the lure, direct tie probably gives it the most most active presentation. Maybe. This isn't a science lab.

I started out with a couple of Shimano jigs and direct tied them, then acquired more and kept the same process. Using a split ring to a fluoro leader tied to the main line sounds good, but right now I couldn't be arsed charging it all. Maybe a winter project.
Yeah it's all a compromise-seems to me it's all about the weight changes-colour change--we live in a world with very rapidly changing currents and depths requiring quick changes to fit conditions-your idea works- in fact my riptides and buzz bombs are tied like that. I only really use 3 flat falls-maybe I'll rig them like that. Any body try the shimano wing falls-No luck for me but if I don't get a strike they are changed pretty quick. Since I fish alone most of the time-my boat is a really tough place for a new jig to crack the line-up LOL

I use a carrot knot to tie my 40lb fluorocarbon leader to 30lb braid then tie the jig directly to the leader.

I’ve tried a bunch of wing falls and haven’t caught anything on them yet. I’ve heard they work but no positive personal experience yet. I often have 5 to 6 people jigging at a time out of my boat, so it’s a great way to figure out what size and color of jigs are working!

Yeah it's all a compromise-seems to me it's all about the weight changes-colour change--we live in a world with very rapidly changing currents and depths requiring quick changes to fit conditions-your idea works- in fact my riptides and buzz bombs are tied like that. I only really use 3 flat falls-maybe I'll rig them like that. Any body try the shimano wing falls-No luck for me but if I don't get a strike they are changed pretty quick. Since I fish alone most of the time-my boat is a really tough place for a new jig to crack the line-up LOL
I run a bead then tie the powerpro to a bead chain swivel. 40-50# floro from there direct to the jig. I have a 130, 160 and 200 rigged up on the boat for whatever conditions. Truth be told though I could run the 200 all the time and catch the same amount of fish with it no matter the tide or depth. Just more work. Haven’t used anything but flatfalls for the last 3 years. It isn’t broke…… I’m not fixing. Highly productive.

I run a bead then tie the powerpro to a bead chain swivel. 40-50# floro from there direct to the jig. I have a 130, 160 and 200 rigged up on the boat for whatever conditions. Truth be told though I could run the 200 all the time and catch the same amount of fish with it no matter the tide or depth. Just more work. Haven’t used anything but flatfalls for the last 3 years. It isn’t broke…… I’m not fixing. Highly productive.
Can't argue with that-I have the same philosophy!!

I have a piece of 30lb fluoro tied directly to a flat fall and the fluoro is connected to the braid using a double uni knot but i’ve lost two jigs now due to knot failure right at the boat as i attempted to release a dogfish, and a waaay oversized chinook. fluoro is just so brittle. i’m thinking about changing to 40 lb mono leader. i also don’t like the idea of losing a bit of my metered power pro every time i change out my leader so i think i’m going to attach a good quality swivel.

Lose t
I have a piece of 30lb fluoro tied directly to a flat fall and the fluoro is connected to the braid using a double uni knot but i’ve lost two jigs now due to knot failure right at the boat as i attempted to release a dogfish, and a waaay oversized chinook. fluoro is just so brittle. i’m thinking about changing to 40 lb mono leader. i also don’t like the idea of losing a bit of my metered power pro every time i change out my leader so i think i’m going to attach a good quality swivel.

Lose the double uni and go with an FG knot - no kink in fluoro to break. Never failed me on halibut or albacore (65 lb and 80 lb braid to 50 lb and 60 lb fluoro, respectively) or salmon and lings to 30 lbs on my light jigging setup (40 lb braid to 30 lb fluoro).

Lose the double uni and go with an FG knot - no kink in fluoro to break. Never failed me on halibut or albacore (65 lb and 80 lb braid to 50 lb and 60 lb fluoro, respectively) or salmon and lings to 30 lbs on my light jigging setup (40 lb braid to 30 lb fluoro).
Agreed. FG knot is my go to.

Lose t

i’ll look into it thanks!

I’ve been using the FG knot for quite a few years since it first became a thing. 10 years??. I finally gave up on it after having a few randomly slip apart. I even started to melt the tag ends to give them a lump so they wouldn’t slip through but still had them come apart.
I have gone to the double uni. It’s not as strong but I haven’t had one un wind or break yet.

On a side note I use mono more now as I had a few experiences with floro getting brittle.

X2 on improved Albright for connecting braid to mono or fluorocarbon.

I use the San Diego jam knot to the jig.

anybody have any leads on welded solid rings for assist hooks? i can’t seem to find them anywhere. i’ve checked redden and the other stores in CR

@spring fever I read your info on rods a few pages back. Are you still using the China rods? What's a good quality inexpensive fun rod you prefer currently? Ever tried the goofish rods?

No I haven't but I have researched them and they are very good. I am currently using this one and have no problem recommending-caught several ling over 30 and 4 or so overs on salmon. -going to order a spare this winter--needs a very small reel like a shimano torium 14 or a gomexus or small bait caster with a bullet proof drag Acid wrapped guides which means they are spiraled Great rod https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...81c-fd42bb3f2b07&algo_exp_id=2c468640-b4dd-42

Back