High cost of fishing / W.C.V.I.

i am confused now, you said you were running dual 225's that makes 450hp does it not? and you have also said that you got insurance for guiding, and that they wouldnt if your over powered, something dont add to me, maybe i didnt follow close enough to this whole thing
or maybe your just having fun with us[:p]

quote:It still wouldn't sink though
quote:But they will Capsize!!!

Yes, which is why I am limited to the Malcolm area, Clayoquot, Barkley, inside Nootka, Sooke on a nice day and the occasional trip with a friend to the banks out of Ukee on a real boat.

quote:I am confused now, you said you were running dual 225's that makes 450hp does it not? and you have also said that you got insurance for guiding, and that they wouldnt if your over powered, something dont add to me, maybe i didnt follow close enough to this whole thing
or maybe your just having fun with us

I was asking if you think I could get guide insurance on it?

quote:quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It still wouldn't sink though
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
But they will Capsize!!!

Yes, which is why I am limited to the Malcolm area, Clayoquot, Barkley, inside Nootka, Sooke on a nice day and the occasional trip with a friend to the banks out of Ukee on a real boat.

Oh please.. a real boat..lmao.. That whaler is a true blue water boat, If you know what that is? It's the kind you can take out Tuna fishing! You could fill it up with water, (well at least to the water line, cause they don't sink any more than that) and park my f350 on it and it still wouldn't sink.

Take only what you need.

quote:That whaler is a true blue water boat
You must have missed the part about mine being only 11 feet long. It's more of a tender than an offshore vessel. It has DR's,gps, ff, vhf, I'm still searching for a radar small enough to mount on the bill of my hat.
My wife forgot to put the 19' Montauk under the tree again this Christmas.

Fish assassin sounds to me like you are running your boat at the top end of it's efficiency.
By being 50 hp over design hp you can probably still get insurance but in case of an accident you might have a problem with your claim.
As you are getting 67 mph at best conditions you might find that to get another 3mph it would take 30hp more. That is what I mean by the top end of it's efficiency. Each hull design has a top speed that it will do.I think you have found yours. I think thus because you mentioned a big change when cutting the waves a certain way. Boston Whaler is a good product and proof is in the pudding!:D:D:D

IMG_1445.jpg

I don't think she'd do 67..either way it makes for great endurance at a higher cruising speed. It should do over 50 though.

Was on a 2008 30 foot Grady White Marlin with twin Yamaha 350's last summer with just 40 hours on it and she was pulling strong as we crossed 52 mph on the GPS...with full gear, kicker, 3/4 fuel, generator, and 2 people. That's moving in a boat that size! You could cruise all day at 30....or step it up to 40 like it's nothing! A true dream machine with that power.

The new 350 Mercury's really scream from what I've heard..looking forward to a ride on some boat with 2 or 3 of those babies on the back! I've seen a 34 Conquest locally with triple 300's on the back..that boat must be fun! It ripped past pretty quick on it's way to Thrasher.

quote:Originally posted by fishin_magician

I don't think she'd do 67..either way it makes for great endurance at a higher cruising speed. It should do over 50 though.

Was on a 2008 30 foot Grady White Marlin with twin Yamaha 350's last summer with just 40 hours on it and she was pulling strong as we crossed 52 mph on the GPS...with full gear, kicker, 3/4 fuel, generator, and 2 people. That's moving in a boat that size! You could cruise all day at 30....or step it up to 40 like it's nothing! A true dream machine with that power.

The new 350 Mercury's really scream from what I've heard..looking forward to a ride on some boat with 2 or 3 of those babies on the back! I've seen a 34 Conquest locally with triple 300's on the back..that boat must be fun! It ripped past pretty quick on it's way to Thrasher.

Conquest 295 here... fully loaded approximately 15,000 lbs, twin 225's, top speed with flat seas approximately 42mph. So, I do believe a Whaler that weighs about half with same power probably can go 67mph.

quote:Originally posted by Charlie

Conquest 295 here... fully loaded approximately 15,000 lbs, twin 225's, top speed with flat seas approximately 42mph. So, I do believe a Whaler that weighs about half with same power probably can go 67mph.

According to the Whaler website..there's just no way his boat will do 67. Unless he somehow breaks the laws of physics and/or drops it out of an F18 at 33000 feet.

Drags off the drives are limiting factors...as is the hull...and the extra weight of the 2nd engine.

Dropped from 33000 ft terminal velocity should be 120mph? Seems to me that you are saying that a fisherman stretches the truth?:D

IMG_1445.jpg

So I found this other guy who's selling his 255..this is what he says..

quote:The 225 Mercury Optimax O/B is in pristine condition and recently tuned. Believe me...225 HP is plenty for this boat. She planes off easily and cruises @ 29 mph with a max speed of 45 mph.

So 45 off a single 225.. u do the math [:p]

Take only what you need.

haha agree with you F.M. Just had a thought, suppose he is talking km.ya, possibly 67 km does seem realistic. Could also be a issue with the GPS.

quote:Originally posted by The Fish Assassin

So I found this other guy who's selling his 255..this is what he says..

quote:The 225 Mercury Optimax O/B is in pristine condition and recently tuned. Believe me...225 HP is plenty for this boat. She planes off easily and cruises @ 29 mph with a max speed of 45 mph.

So 45 off a single 225.. u do the math [:p]

Take only what you need.

For Fish Assassin's boat....

I figure he'll gain about 2.5 mph (I consider that on the high side) for every 50 horses above the 225 considering drag, weight, etc. So I figure 55-56 mph would be his top end at best... that's with his boat stripped of all gear and passengers...and being a "flying gas can". You wouldn't want to run it up that high all the time either...

had a doubble eagle that went fast like that25inchprop at 5 5 hundred rpmwill do it. if theres just a ripple on the water. and you usetrim tabs.carefully.

This doesn't look like twin 225's to me, but you can tell he's movin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xQYDSfFagw&feature=related

No it was over 100 of those KM things :D fishin_magician must think I had a grady hull at that speed.

here is aclose to an example as I could find..
Class:power
Category:Walkaround
Year:2002
Make:BOSTON WHALER
Model:255 Conquest
Length:26
Builder:Boston Whaler
LOA:26'11"
Beam:8"9"
Bridge Clearance:9'5"
Draft:16"
Engine Model:Mercury (2)
Horsepower:400
Engine Hours:915
Cruising Speed:30 knots
Max Speed:50 knots
Propulsion Type:TWIN OUTBOARD
Hull Material:FIBERGLASS REINFORCED
Fuel Type:GAS
Fuel:150 gallons
Stock Number:HINES

So thats 58 on 400 the extra 50hp = 8 more knots plus there was not much in the water I had her trimmed right out.

It shouldn't surprise anyone from Bamfield.. you remeber Peter's Whaler from Kingfisher?

Take only what you need.

Originally posted by Charlie

Originally posted by fishin_magician

According to the Whaler website..there's just no way his boat will do 67. Unless he somehow breaks the laws of physics and/or drops it out of an F18 at 33000 feet.

Drags off the drives are limiting factors...as is the hull...and the extra weight of the 2nd engine.

The website list Twin Merc 200 L4 CXL Verado, 400 HP, with WOT = 52 mph
FA is running Twin 225 Opti's, which are lighter and could get him in the 60/61 mph range. Would certainly get him over 55! Plus a 6-8 mph tide flow = 67 mph GPS reading over ground. Said I believed it was possible - didn't say I believed it! :)

Oh, PS... I figured if the only thing that changed was the hp... and his boat was rigged the same as the test, it would only get 58.5 mph.

BOY you can tell we ALL need to go fishing sounds like we are all bored to be this interested on how fast a boat can go.
what does it matter LOL LOL:D:D:D

Wolf

Back