High cost of fishing / W.C.V.I.

B

Brisco

I have been calculating costs for me to fish Nootka area for 7 days.
Its up to $4500.00. Thats without food and buying any tackle. I guess if all the resorts get out of province customers to come, great. But with all the lay offs etc. I think us working guys will be sticking closer to home. I would hate to see any resort not make money or shut down because we need them.

2 years ago I did a 4 night trip to Nootka staying at Moutcha Bay.
Gas and ferry: $500
campsite: approx $200
boat gas (small boat): $50
ice and bait: $50
tackle: who cares, I'm addicted to buying stuff I don't need, and I still have most of it
food, rum and beer: a wash since I need those at home anyway.
Total $900
30,20,15,10lb springs
900/75= $12/lb guts and head in/on
A fun trip that I hope to do again this summer

10 of us stayed at Hoiss Point a couple years ago. Stayed 5 days. Gas and ferry from van for 3 trucks and 3 boats,took our own food,cabin rental,gas for 3 boats,etc. Total came to under $7000.All expenses were split evenly and less than 700 each seemed like a pretty good deal and we had a great time.We won`t discuss the amount spent on beverages tho !!!

You could try Renfrew if you are bringing your own boat. A week stay at the campground is around $200. Your offshore fishing would be a 20 mile run maybe twice, and then a few days of working the shoreline would probably set you back the whole trip for under a grand, and that includes eating out every night.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

quote:Originally posted by LastChance
.....probably set you back the whole trip for under a grand, and that includes eating out every night.
There are places to eat in Renfrew now?[8D]

Been a while since I been there I guess.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
freshwaterlagoonnuquicw3.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Dogbreath

quote:Originally posted by LastChance
.....probably set you back the whole trip for under a grand, and that includes eating out every night.
There are places to eat in Renfrew now?[8D]

Been a while since I been there I guess.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Theres two pub style restuarants (GOod luck when it's busy), there is a family restuarant/saloon, and there is the "bistro" which does gourmet coffee and pizza after 4. And he'll deliver :)

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

Hey Tubber,

Ferry costs for me would be $402.00. I don't know how much fuel the boat would use but a good guess is $400.00. Then the fuel for the truck $300.00. Launch fees and parking ? Camping is out unless I leave the boss at home so the cabins are about $500.00 a day.
I am looking more twards the Sooke idea. I could take my camper and save a ton on fuel. Thanks for the help guys. :)

quote:I am looking more twards the Sooke idea. I could take my camper and save a ton on fuel.

Port Renfrew isn't much further than Sooke. I ran by water it took me about 35 mins to get to better fishing grounds. Accomidations are nicer in Sooke though. Barkley Sound is another fairly reasonable option.

Take only what you need.

We have gone to China Creek in the past and did so well on Socks and the odd spring that along with prawns we could justify the cost. It was so easy to fish and used no fuel. Things have changed,no openings. Port Renfrew is definately added to the list.

The downers with Renfrew are the dependence on tides for the river passage, a rough road between Sooke and Renfrew (last 20 km at least), pretty much camping only, and no shelter on the water from SW winds and swells. If you bring smaller kids - don't do Renfrew.

quote:Originally posted by chris73

The downers with Renfrew are the dependence on tides for the river passage, a rough road between Sooke and Renfrew (last 20 km at least), pretty much camping only, and no shelter on the water from SW winds and swells. If you bring smaller kids - don't do Renfrew.
I agree!:)

x3, Ive had a bad day in a S/E'r as well as the S/W.

If kids are an issue then Barkley sound is your best bet. There is shelter from almost every wind somewhere in the sound. If you are bringing your own boat it is a bit of a run down the canal, but you can troll along the way. You can troll up to the closed zone past Franklin(?) then run to Assets Island and fish up towards Bamfield, arriving in the evening hopefully with a few fish on board already. There are many great places to stay at in Bamfield as well as other places in the Sound. I grew up fishing in Sooke, but once I went to Bamfield and fished out of there I was hooked for life, 20 years ago! There are just so many options when you pull out of the harbor in the morning. There are popular fishing spots literally every direction and any one of them could be holding a large school of returning springs. If the weather is good you can venture out offshore you don't have to go 20 miles out to get into some nice Halibut. I've had success just randomly finding a gravel bottom on the chart with a consistent depth and nailed some nice hali's. You can always find other boats fishing 5,7,12 and big bank as well.

Take only what you need.

quote:Originally posted by The Fish Assassin

[/quote]Port Renfrew isn't much further than Sooke. I ran by water it took me about 35 mins to get to better fishing grounds.
[/quote]

That's it? What kind of rig are you running?

Highliner
IMG_0252_2_2.jpg

quote:Originally posted by The Fish Assassin

Port Renfrew isn't much further than Sooke. I ran by water it took me about 35 mins to get to better fishing grounds. Accomidations are nicer in Sooke though. Barkley Sound is another fairly reasonable option.
Wow... you must be talking from River Jordon on a flat day? If I remember right it is 41 miles (36nm) from the mouth of Sooke Harbour to the mouth of Gordan River and about the same from Sooke Harbour to Camper! That's a little faster than I can or would want to run with my dual 225's? [:0]

Check out Port Renfrew Hotel's cabins! Can't get much nicer than that, but it is a little pricy and finding dock space could be a pain. But, I sleep on my boat usually at anchor!

100% correct about the Broken Group! It's a beautiful place and good fishery!

ya no kidding, I've done that run a bunch - 25mph is more realistic on most days, although once you hit sombrio it usually flattens out.

Of course I guess it depends on the boat and if you like having your huevos pushed up into your throat or not.

quote:Of course I guess it depends on the boat and if you like having your huevos pushed up into your throat or not.

Ya there was no beer drinkin on that run! There was another boat running up at the same time as me, he was more slow and steady, I was fast and furious. I've had my Whaler topped out at about 67 mph. Just to see what it could do. Only place for that though was in the Canal, or on Nanaimo side. Theres no way you could top it out in the swells. Although I enjoyed the short trips back from Big Bank. I ran from Port Alberni to Nanaimo one day, we stopped at swiftsure loaded up on springs/coho and halibut, then went into Port Renfrew and loaded up on crabs. Then ran to Sidney where we had dinner and took on a little more fuel, then ran from sidney to Nanaimo. You should have seen the looks on peoples faces at schooner cove when we brought the fish up to the cleaning table:D It was almost as good as showing up in UKI with 2 Tuna in my fish box...

Take only what you need.

quote:Originally posted by Poppa Swiss

quote:port Alberni to Nanaimo one day

that's insane - and I thought I did a big run going from sooke to bamfield in my 20'.

How much fuel did that burn?

I have a Boston Whaler Conquest 295... Average speed when running offshore is about 27 knots. Top end is less than 45 knots when loaded depending on weight. Holds 296 gals of fuel. I can run from Tofino to Tacoma WA in less than 8 hours... on a good day, which is 235 miles! Fuel used = approximately 190 gals. Fuel remaining on board... 100 gals. You have to remember these boats are built to run offshore!

But, I still can't get from Sooke to Camper in 35 minutes, unless I had about a 20 knot tide running with me! :)

It was about 600L 1 full tank + 100 liters for safe measure. At that time I didn't have my own trailer, the boat guy would have charged me $350, so I asked a couple friends of mine if they wanted to pitch in for some gas and go for a boat ride + fishing. They were more than happy to agree, so it actually only cost me $200 + 4 hrs of running time. Yes 4 hrs give or take from Port to Nanaimo! I would do it again if I had to. It was an exceptional day though, I couldn't have done it nearly as quick if there was a sea, but it was just one of those October days that there isn't even a breath of wind. The fishing at swiftsure was unreal to boot. Apparently the Port Renfrew Coho derby happened to be on at the time we decided to do our run. The winning fish was 26 pounds that year we found out afterwards. We where in a school of Northern's that where acting just like a school of bluebacks. They where taking our gear sometimes before we could get it down. They where coming up and hitting our downrigger clips! It was nuts!! And they where near or over 20 pounds!!! The biggest we got was a 27.5. The first one we got I bonked and didn't notice until the 2nd fish was in the net that hey wait a minute this Spring has White gums!! I automatically assumed that that first 26 pounder we got was a Spring. Bonked it and tubbed it. Then did a little jig when I rechecked it! After my buddies limited on Ho's we did a little hali fishing and got two little but nice to eat 20 pounders. I still remember the looks on this old guys face when we told him we where out by winchealsea! I later explained that I was just kidding, that we ran here (Schooner Cove) from Port Alberni and caught the fish at Swiftsure Bank, but the look on his went from bewilderment[:0] to bewilderment.[:0]

Take only what you need.

Back