Herring roe fishery

Courtenay-Alberni MP Gord Johns backs herring fishery moratorium

https://www.mypowellrivernow.com/26...-gord-johns-backs-herring-fishery-moratorium/

Courtenay-Alberni MP Gord Johns is supporting a moratorium of the Salish Sea Herring Fishery in 2020.

He said an e-petition is being launched on the House of Commons website.

“The local stakeholders have drafted the petition,” Johns said. “We’re certainly excited to see the local activism and people who are stewards of the ocean and care deeply about this issue, are taking steps necessary to ensure their voices are being heard.”

Conservation groups are calling for a suspension of the fishery until an ecosystem-based management plan is in place, fishermen are compensated, and First Nations rights recognized.

Johns, who is the federal NDP’s critic for fisheries and oceans, said our ecosystem is “under a tremendous amount of pressure.”

He added that we’re seeing a “salmon emergency unfold” in coastal waters and that people are very concerned about the inter-dependent species that salmon rely on for their food.

“Certainly this has come to light with the only herring opening on the Pacific Coast from Oregon to Alaska, and that’s the one in the Salish Sea, where the herring fishery was opened and again, the government… their modelling was wrong and they overfished the only herring fishery that was open on the west coast,” he said.

“People are very concerned about this fishery being opened, especially since it is a reduction fishery, primarily, and (so) people in coastal communities, we’re hearing loud and clear that they’d like to see that fishery suspended until there is a whole of ecosystem-based management plan in place, to make sure that we understand how we’re going to move forward and protect that really keystone species.”

Pacific herring is a key part of the food web in the Salish Sea

It’s the basis for the food web that supports the salmon and killer whales and most of the other mammals, sea birds and other creatures.

Eighty percent of the Chinook salmons’ diet is herring, and over 80 percent of the southern resident killer whales’ diet is Chinook.

Conservancy Hornby Island says that, according to DFO estimates, in October 2019, the herring population dwindled from approximately 129,500 metric tonnes in 2016, to 85,700 tonnes in 2019, and is predicted to fall to 54,242 tonnes in 2020.

The group says this is a reduction of almost 60 percent in four years.

It’s a reduction fishery, Johns said: “Less than 12 percent of it is used for human consumption. The rest of it is used for cat food, animal feed, fertilizer, (and) fish farms. This is unacceptable at a time when our ecosystem is near collapse.”

Johns said he raised these very concerns yesterday in the House of Commons and met with newly appointed fisheries and oceans minister, Bernadette Jordan.

“I also called on her to make the right decision, to listen to local communities, and to protect the ecosystem… take a precautionary approach when it comes to the herring fishery. I expressed to her that the department got it wrong last year, and that they need to do everything they can to protect these herring stocks which are really the foundation and bedrock of our ecosystem.”

Johns also wants to see a plan to look after the herring fishermen affected by a potential closure.

“These fishers are our neighbours, they are community citizens, they are our family members. We want to make sure that the government fully compensates these fishers should they do the right thing, and that is place a moratorium on the herring fishery.”

So sounds like it is call for on all herring fishing wow.

Just like we predicted. It was never about the roe fishery anyway knew that when this started.

This Facebook post today tells us a lot about how we have allowed the over fishing of Herring!

Cheryl Borgfjord
I am from the Tla'Amin nation. One day in the early 80's I looked out my window and swear that one could walk across to our island out in front of our community on all of the herring fishing boats that were out front...My heart sank. We have not had herring back for over 30 years. There has been one, maybe two very small runs. What is is going to take to recover this? I lost a way of life that day, as did the opportunity to pass it on to my children.

Those who support the Herring fishery bring out questionable science to support their cause, but reality can not be denied.
Our Herring Stocks are dangerously low and nowhere near the levels of the past.
A total closure of the Herring Fishery is a necessary step for their recovery!
I do hope the greed of the past will not prevail in the future!!

What's Behind the Decline of the West Coast's Herring?

https://www.eastbayexpress.com/oakl...-the-west-coasts-herring/Content?oid=28151512

Minke-Martin says the Canadian Department of Fisheries and Oceans uses 1950 as a baseline for the populations.

"This makes things look pretty good, because by then their population was already way down," she says.

But historical and archaeological records suggest a much higher baseline population. Minke-Martin says traditional knowledge from coastal indigenous populations indicates a relatively huge geographical spawning range as recently as a century ago, compared to the shorelines along which they spawn today.

Minke-Martin's group has been calling for a closure of the fishing season in the Strait of Georgia between Vancouver Island and mainland British Columbia, the last region in the province where fishing for herring is still allowed. She says efforts also are underway to create spawning habitat by restoring damaged eel grass beds. By and large, though, herring are overlooked by fisheries researchers, especially as salmon and orcas face extinction in the same region, Minke-Martin says.

Last edited:
If you read and believe this article it certainly enforces the need for a severe cut back of our Herring Harvest, would you not agree?
I believe the article points out the need for a complete shut down!

Everything in that article that they say can also easily be said about salmon as well on the west coast. It could also be said about halibut as well we are seeing a crash in tac year after year.

Just shut it all down and only allow fsc harvesters with tradition knowledge.

Everything in that article that they say can also easily be said about salmon as well on the west coast. It could also be said about halibut as well we are seeing a crash in tac year after year.

We have had severe cutbacks in the recreational harvesting of salmon and halibut.
As I have said before, the 2020 Herring Harvest in the Denman Island and inside area needs to be cut back!
In your reference to Salmon and Halibut, you said "Just shut it all down", do you really believe that is the only solution?

Last edited:

Does this mean you support the complete closure of the recreational fishery?
How does traditional knowledge fit in with climate change?

Does this mean you support the complete closure of the recreational fishery?
How does traditional knowledge fit in with climate change?

I dont Support the **** it down crowd but it certainly appears to be growing.

all Canadians can go sport fishing and any Canadian can commercial fish if they choose to. If we don't start working together on science based fisheries management the only people left on the water will be Natives.
and its happening fast.
The FN fisheries will be gone as well. If we loose the infrastructure then nobody has a place to deliver. No ice house, plants or fuel barges. I fully agree the groups should be working together to find solutions. Unfortunately that is easier said then done.

I
The goverment has mandated that Traditional Knowledge must also be used as one of the factors in making management decisions

https://www.canada.ca/en/privy-council/campaigns/mandate-tracker-results-canadians.html

View attachment 49453
I am well aware of that I just find it interesting that we are suppose to include climate change and traditional knowledge and quite frankly how is that suppose to work. Has climate change not now made traditional knowledge obsolete?

Like I said, good idea to take the time to review and understand the MSE approach. Much of the rant you're slinging is considered in there. If we take your views on how to approach the herring fishery, what is stopping others from taking the same approach to your recreational Chinook fishery. If I followed your line of logic I would close it down.
If people think McAllistair is going to stop trying to close fisheries after this they are sadly mistaken. Chinook feed whales.... ThAts next.

Looks like a TAC of 10,000 tons and change combined for the two fleets. Thats a large reduction from the last few years. You should be able to comment to DFO on the draft IFMP.

Back