Herring roe fishery

Why aren't they protesting the herring harvest in alaska?? They harvest herring in south east alaska (Sitka) where a good portion of our chinook stocks go.

instead we got sea shepard setting up operations here.

Wait did Trites just say they should turn this are into an MPA, Wow the pay dirt im hitting these days

"Nonetheless, Trites suggested setting aside herring reserves to protect herring from accidental over-exploitation as a compromise that conservationists and Fisheries and Oceans could both embrace.

“The waters around Hornby Island are the only place where herring have always come back to spawn, so that could be our herring RRSP,” he offered."

Northern orca whale population could be 10,000 and it will still be a crisis. Hey no problem with limiting any fishery, but as usual the agenda is showing again.

I see where this campaign is going now. Emotion... orca starving...crisis...save herring...stop tanker traffic ..crisis..crisis... enforce MPA. ]

I does appear there is a valid scientific argument to be made to reduce the 2020 Herring harvest.
“Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) has tallied the numbers and discovered that they far over-predicted the number of herring in the Strait of Georgia in 2019,
“On January 28th, Jonathan Wilkinson, our federal Fisheries Minister stood up in the House of Commons and justified the commercial herring roe fishery ‘based on the abundance of the stock…’ Now, we’ve learned that this abundance estimate was extremely inaccurate.”
Pacific Wild says that from the predicted 122,000 tonnes, only 85,000 tonnes of herring returned.
In 2020, DFO expects the herring population to decline to a 54,200 tonnes.

Yep to reduce not eliminate

Glad to see you and Spring Velocity agree the Herring harvest needs to be cut back!
I for one do not feel it needs to be totally eliminated assuming the bio mass can be maintained at a sustainable level.
I do and have questioned as to what that sustainable level should be and who should decide.

Last edited:
Glad to see you and Spring Velocity agree the Herring harvest needs to be cut back!
I for one do not feel it needs to be totally eliminated assuming the bio mass can be maintained at a sustainable level.
I do and have questioned as to what that sustainable level should be and who should decide.

I think we said proper science, and also consideration for what searun posted. Seems like you moved your stance which is interesting. So far all I see is backing of group like pacific wild calling for complete shutdown. Its interesting how when reviewing the proposed MPA area in North we now have herring all over it. Wonder where that came from?

Science Means Lower Herring Harvests in the Gulf of Georgia
https://www.newswire.ca/news-releas...arvests-in-the-gulf-of-georgia-870488951.html
The bad news is this years herring fishery could not reach their quota due to the weak health of the stock.
The good news is next years quota will be reduced.
The best news would be to stop the herring fishery until such time the stocks return to historic levels!

The best news would be to stop the herring fishery until such time the stocks return to historic levels!

You are mistaken.
It was DFO who are predicting the low 2020 bio mass;
I have always called for a reduced harvest.
Have never said anything about Herring in any area other then inside VI

So you would be okay with them fishing herring in other areas?

So you would be okay with them fishing herring in other areas?
sure...as long as the bio mass was kept at a suitable level to support everything.
That has always been my opinion.
It's others on this thread who have suggested I want it all shut down based on emotion.

You are mistaken.
It was DFO who are predicting the low 2020 bio mass;
I have always called for a reduced harvest.
Have never said anything about Herring in any area other then inside VI

Sorry but your second post states

"The bad news is this years herring fishery could notreach their quota due to the weak health of the stock.
The best newswould be to stop the herring fishery until such time the stocks return to historic levels!

Your last sentence says shut it down.

Sorry but your second post states

"The bad news is this years herring fishery could notreach their quota due to the weak health of the stock.
The best newswould be to stop the herring fishery until such time the stocks return to historic levels!
Your last sentence says shut it down.

yep...you got me there....on the "best news" quote.
But I have always stated my personal opinion would be to allow a sustainable fishery based on a sustainable level which serves all areas.
DFO policy already is to shut the Herring harvest down if stocks reach an unstainable level.

Just stating the obvious, its your post your quotes etc. You said or quoted "shut it down" now your changing your mind. Wicked glad people here could show you the light.

Just stating the obvious, its your post your quotes etc. You said or quoted "shut it down" now your changing your mind. Wicked glad people here could show you the light.

lol
Read all my posts on this subject...ok
Or better yet lets get back to talking about issue.

Wow, I need a smoke. That was almost as good as sex. Guess we are now back to let's build the best science-based MSE model as possible, and let that determine if there is or is not a harvest....and if there is a harvest, set it at sustainable levels.

Back