Herring roe fishery

Comparing Recreational Chinook to herring/chum fishery is a bit far fetched....
We don’t sell our fish to overseas markets.

Recreational Chinook keeps our local businesses, communities , guides thriving and prosperous.

What does the herring/ fishery do for our local economies?
How many people does it employ?
You don’t sell your fish overseas????? So no tourist catches and takes a Fish home???? Lmao.

As respectful as I can be you obviously know jack **** about the herring fishery and how they have been cut back.

You are right when you say... "obviously know jack **** about the herring fishery."
thanks for being "As respectful as I can"
I believe you when you say "they have been cut back"
What I do know is last year their were not enough herring to fill the commercial quota.
Herring roe prices are falling and it's a financial challenge for those who are fishing it.
Sea Birds are dying as a result of the scarcity of Herring.
AND the Salmon fishery and Orcas would be better off if Herring stocks were allowed to return to higher levels.

You are right when you say... "obviously know jack **** about the herring fishery."
thanks for being "As respectful as I can"
I believe you when you say "they have been cut back"
What I do know is last year their were not enough herring to fill the commercial quota.
Herring roe prices are falling and it's a financial challenge for those who are fishing it.
Sea Birds are dying as a result of the scarcity of Herring.
AND the Salmon fishery and Orcas would be better off if Herring stocks were allowed to return to higher levels.

1) there was enough herring to fill the quota last year. Industry chose to leave some In the water as there was a carry over from 2018. Also many of us that participate in the fishery saw a very large amount of 2 year olds and chose not to switch our gear to chase them.
2) our prices were down roughly 10% last year in the row fishery but our vessel alone put in close to $600,000 gross worth of fish last year.
3) the only survey done on herring in the gulf lasts 3 weeks and surveys about 10% of the gulf. In that 10% they sounded between 85-120,000 tons. The stock assessment does not include 2 yr old or 3yr old fish and is based on the amount of spawn not the amount off fish.
4) I doubt very much the seabirds are dying from lack of herring as there is lots of herring on the B.C. coast. The central area had one of its biggest spawns in decades as did WCVI, and QCI.
5) The enviros had a rep at HIAB that stated too much herring can be detrimental to the Chinook stocks as herring and Chinook fry compete for the same food.
6) as for the health of the Chinook stock the recreational sector is the largest user of that resource so if you are really worried about the whales then perhaps that fishery is where government should start cutting?

What else ya got??

[QUOTE="
What else ya got??[/QUOTE]

DFO states that management will be guided by the principles of “Ecosystem Based Management" and "Risk Aversion" and "Precautionary Principle" yet DFO management has, in the last 20 years, resulted in the closure of 4 of the 6 major herring stocks on the BC coast. How can we believe that DFO is managing this valuable public resource in the best interests of all of us and our marine ecosystem?
herring 2.jpg

Back to your post...
you stated...
"too much herring can be detrimental to the Chinook stocks"
Really..do you buy that??
"but our vessel alone put in close to $600,000 gross worth of fish last year"
It's no surprise you are defending your industry with big money like that!
I assume you mean income from Herring.
Most boats fish other species when the Herring are closed. Right??or Wrong??
Me and all the sports fishermen I know have observed a huge drop in the herring stocks around Southern Vancouver Island.
You can use all the data you want but nothing will change what we see with our own eyes.
We are of the opinion if the herring were to return to our waters in bigger numbers it would be beneficial to all.
That's my argument...no science, no statistics and no ********!

Last edited:
The herring in Washington state are nothing like I remember from my childhood, When every fisherman had a herring rake in there boat. You could find huge balls of herring everywhere thirty years ago, Now you can go days and weeks without seeing any. People used to jig large horse herring to pickle, Now You never hear or see anybody doing that around here. I don't know what happened but I would sure like to see it come back.

DFO states that management will be guided by the principles of “Ecosystem Based Management" and "Risk Aversion" and "Precautionary Principle" yet DFO management has, in the last 20 years, resulted in the closure of 4 of the 6 major herring stocks on the BC coast. How can we believe that DFO is managing this valuable public resource in the best interests of all of us and our marine ecosystem?

How many of those are closed because of political reasons and not stock abundance?

As for the $600,000 as stated is gross. Out of that comes unloading, packing, shoreworkers, trucking, freezing, processing, maintenance and crew. The point being the fishery generates significant income for our communities.

How many of those are closed because of political reasons and not stock abundance?

You seems to choose to miss the obvious!
Terrin
why have the herring balls not returned into Burrard Inlet
Paguy...Washington Start
" I don't know what happened but I would sure like to see it come back."
FI
"You can use all the data you want but nothing will change what we see with our own eyes."

AND
Say NO to the Pacific Herring Roe Fishery…
97,333 signed and still counting as we speak!

You seems to choose to miss the obvious!
Terrin
why have the herring balls not returned into Burrard Inlet
Paguy...Washington Start
" I don't know what happened but I would sure like to see it come back."
FI
"You can use all the data you want but nothing will change what we see with our own eyes."

AND
Say NO to the Pacific Herring Roe Fishery…
97,333 signed and still counting as we speak!

Burrard inlet??? No kidding there are no herring balls there. I wouldn’t swim in that cesspool. 2 million people polluting that place and you want to blame fishing?

herrng seiners.jpg
Jimmy Pattison, the billionaire who owns the Canadian Fishing Company (Canfisco), which in 2016 reported owning about a third of seine and more than 10 per cent of gillnet licenses for herring roe, and 30 per cent of the facilities that process the catch.
Most of the herring quota is owned by absentee “arm-chair fishermen” who then hire local crews to catch the fish. For the latter it’s an important “stop-gap” fishery — a spring-opening at a time when there is nothing else happening commercially.
Can't remember ever seeing Jimmy working a herring seine boat...can you??

Attachments

• herrng seiners.jpg
    herrng seiners.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 5
The loss of nearshore habitat has been attributed to some areas loosing their herring.

Look what the great stream keepers are doing in false creek in Vancouver

https://globalnews.ca/video/5021668/bid-to-bring-herring-back-to-false-creek-begins-to-see-results
My hat is off to all the volunteers working to see the herring spawn increase . I totally agree with Paguy about lots of fishermen having herring rakes on board and using them years ago. I think the bait and food herring fishery in sog during fall and winter is doing damage to the local stocks . I have only seen masses of eggs on the beaches south of Nanaimo ( yellow point ) twice in the last 12 years . If the dfo are saying our local stocks are as good as historic level I call bs . Sanfrancisco only harvests 5% of their biomass to increase the stock , yet we take 20 %. The herring are smaller and younger 2-3 year olds ? Years ago up to ten years old I am thinking.

The loss of nearshore habitat has been attributed to some areas loosing their herring.

Look what the great stream keepers are doing in false creek in Vancouver

https://globalnews.ca/video/5021668/bid-to-bring-herring-back-to-false-creek-begins-to-see-results

My feeling as well. We as recreational anglers are telling people that fish restrictions aren't the solution to fixing the lack of Chinook in Fraser , but then we do the same with to other group herring that makes not much sense. Same tone as the NGO garbage we were hearing in spring, and now we want to join them by taking someone else down? Where does it end?

I see recreational fisherman taking the lead make up groups to look at also enhancing herring. We all spend our time enhancing salmon why not forage fish?? Look at the estuaries on ECVI. Many of them are severely damaged. So many great things can done such as eelgrass transplantation or cleaning up contamination. The dock pilings are an awesome idea.

I see those as way more valuable, and still securing food for chinook, and sustaining economic opportunistic for others.

Last edited:
My hat is off to all the volunteers working to see the herring spawn increase . I totally agree with Paguy about lots of fishermen having herring rakes on board and using them years ago. I think the bait and food herring fishery in sog during fall and winter is doing damage to the local stocks . I have only seen masses of eggs on the beaches south of Nanaimo ( yellow point ) twice in the last 12 years . If the dfo are saying our local stocks are as good as historic level I call bs . Sanfrancisco only harvests 5% of their biomass to increase the stock , yet we take 20 %. The herring are smaller and younger 2-3 year olds ? Years ago up to ten years old I am thinking.

On a coastwide level our fisheries harvest less than 1% of the herring stocks. Government has been unwilling to work with FN and therefore 3 areas on the coast that have a large biomass of herring have been closed due to a failed reconciliation plan.
As for the food and bait fishery that was harvesting upwards of 6000 tons in SOG it is being restricted to 500 tons.
Jimmy may own a good part of the quota but many of us are still independent. Saying close the fishery for no scientific reason is like closing 60-100 small businesses in B.C.

1) there was enough herring to fill the quota last year. Industry chose to leave some In the water as there was a carry over from 2018. Also many of us that participate in the fishery saw a very large amount of 2 year olds and chose not to switch our gear to chase them.
2) our prices were down roughly 10% last year in the row fishery but our vessel alone put in close to $600,000 gross worth of fish last year.
3) the only survey done on herring in the gulf lasts 3 weeks and surveys about 10% of the gulf. In that 10% they sounded between 85-120,000 tons. The stock assessment does not include 2 yr old or 3yr old fish and is based on the amount of spawn not the amount off fish.
4) I doubt very much the seabirds are dying from lack of herring as there is lots of herring on the B.C. coast. The central area had one of its biggest spawns in decades as did WCVI, and QCI.
5) The enviros had a rep at HIAB that stated too much herring can be detrimental to the Chinook stocks as herring and Chinook fry compete for the same food.
6) as for the health of the Chinook stock the recreational sector is the largest user of that resource so if you are really worried about the whales then perhaps that fishery is where government should start cutting?

What else ya got??
ss

How many communities can 6000 tons of herring support, especially if JP owns a large percentage of the quota? Hasn’t the price per ton dropped? What would the gross value of those fish be?
I too remember seeing and catching herring in the 80’s in the Nanaimo area and I don’t see them in those bays often now.

Back