Herring roe fishery

Like I said, good idea to take the time to review and understand the MSE approach. Much of the rant you're slinging is considered in there. If we take your views on how to approach the herring fishery, what is stopping others from taking the same approach to your recreational Chinook fishery. If I followed your line of logic I would close it down.

yes and the line of logic is already being used. SRKW need chinook more than people do

Like I said, good idea to take the time to review and understand the MSE approach. Much of the rant you're slinging is considered in there. If we take your views on how to approach the herring fishery, what is stopping others from taking the same approach to your recreational Chinook fishery. If I followed your line of logic I would close it down.
Well I don't really want to catch the last fish anyway. Leaving more herring in the Ocean will help make sure that doesn't happen.

Then be prepared for the commercial fishing sector aligning with the NGO groups calling on ban on sportfishing. You don't want that trust me.

This is a double edge sword and is dangerous. I haven't seen data that is concrete enough to close it. Just a lot of emotional stances. Similiar how the NGO groups came after us on whales.

Then be prepared for the commercial fishing sector aligning with the NGO groups calling on ban on sportfishing. You don't want that trust me..

Do you REALLY believe what you just posted?
What most are calling for is a serious cut back in the Herring Harvest to allow the stock to recover.
Below is from another one of YOUR posts. Is that you in the photo?
crazy.gif

Do you REALLY believe what you just posted?
What most are calling for is a serious cut back in the Herring Harvest to allow the stock to recover.
Below is from another one of YOUR posts. Is that you in the photo?
View attachment 48676

Classy a personal insult.

Who are most? All I said is there is not sufficient data to warrant what you are proposing. Also you are convincing us that there is crisis yet Cowichan run was off charts and most systems in SOG this year have exceeded the Chinook returns. Sounds like lots of forage fish? Humpbacks doing well? Searun above said it best, and he is involved in those processes?

Maybe sit in a meeting with commercial guys on any of our issues, and then tell me you want to go after this.

An alternative would be then maybe enhance the spawning of herring. Has your group been actively trying to go to marinas to get spawning material on the pilings? Have you guys engaged the government like we do in salmon enhancement? Pacific Salmon Foundation support?

Last edited:
Classy a personal insult.
Who are most? All I said is there is not sufficient data to warrant what you are proposing. Also you are convincing us that there is crisis yet Cowichan run was off charts and most systems in SOG this year have exceeded the Chinook returns. Sounds like lots of forage fish? Humpbacks doing well? Searun above said it best, and he is involved in those processes?
Maybe sit in a meeting with commercial guys on any of our issues, and then tell me you want to go after this.
An alternative would be then maybe enhance the spawning of herring. Has your group been actively trying to go to marinas to get spawning material on the pilings? Have you guys engaged the government like we do in salmon enhancement? Pacific Salmon Foundation support?

My post was not intended as a personal insult at all!
Just a question and the funny picture that you first posted.

Maybe you were away for a bit but they did close the recreational Chinook fishery from April until July for retention.

No thanks look at the affiliates of groups you are backing. Sorry man moving on....
View attachment 48677

Why do some choose to attack a Sports Fisherman who like so many have observed the decline in Herring and suggests the Commercial Harvest be reduced until such time the stock recovers.
Seems to me to be a very reasonable position to take.
AND for those who say the stocks are healthy and DFO science "apply a cautious approach to managing the fishery to ensure it is sustainable."
I ask which if more desirable, sustainable or restore to historic levels.
Some areas could not reach quota this season even with extra fishing time.
No, I do not claim to be a Herring expert but suggest that most Sport Fishermen would agree DFO's track record on estimating the health and size of anything is suspect at best.

Maybe you were away for a bit but they did close the recreational Chinook fishery from April until July for retention.
That has to be one of the most questionable comments ever....as I prepare to attend the VI Economic Alliance tomorrow to sit on a panel talking about the impacts to our economy attributable to fishery management measures implemented last season. Honestly, if you bothered to actually read the MSE and understand the approach science is taking on this, it would be fairly apparent that the fishery will be managed cautiously, and the very reductions in harvest you talk about will happen to match the science around abundance. My point has been (yes you missed it), was if we manage by emotion, we get decision making rooted in politics which impacts not only the resource, but also those hard working families that rely upon it. I'm all for sustainable and responsible use. What you advocate is tossing people out on the streets for no good reason when we can manage carefully for sustainable fisheries.

Why do some choose to attack a Sports Fisherman who like so many have observed the decline in Herring and suggests the Commercial Harvest be reduced until such time the stock recovers.
Seems to me to be a very reasonable position to take.
AND for those who say the stocks are healthy and DFO science "apply a cautious approach to managing the fishery to ensure it is sustainable."
I ask which if more desirable, sustainable or restore to historic levels.
Some areas could not reach quota this season even with extra fishing time.
No, I do not claim to be a Herring expert but suggest that most Sport Fishermen would agree DFO's track record on estimating the health and size of anything is suspect at best.

Oh my god your attacked. :rolleyes: It doesn't mean what you are asking for isn't valid. But aligning your self with groups like GSA is dangerous. Those affiliates scare crap out of me personally.

Also trying to close any fishery with limited data will not be successful. Please read what Searun posted. This is a very slippery slope, and if not done correctly will blow up in our face.

Last edited:
That has to be one of the most questionable comments ever....as I prepare to attend the VI Economic Alliance tomorrow to sit on a panel talking about the impacts to our economy attributable to fishery management measures implemented last season. Honestly, if you bothered to actually read the MSE and understand the approach science is taking on this, it would be fairly apparent that the fishery will be managed cautiously, and the very reductions in harvest you talk about will happen to match the science around abundance. My point has been (yes you missed it), was if we manage by emotion, we get decision making rooted in politics which impacts not only the resource, but also those hard working families that rely upon it
That has to be one of the most questionable comments ever....as I prepare to attend the VI Economic Alliance tomorrow to sit on a panel talking about the impacts to our economy attributable to fishery management measures implemented last season. Honestly, if you bothered to actually read the MSE and understand the approach science is taking on this, it would be fairly apparent that the fishery will be managed cautiously, and the very reductions in harvest you talk about will happen to match the science around abundance. My point has been (yes you missed it), was if we manage by emotion, we get decision making rooted in politics which impacts not only the resource, but also those hard working families that rely upon it. I'm all for sustainable and responsible use. What you advocate is tossing people out on the streets for no good reason when we can manage carefully for sustainable fisheries.
Are you referring to the sustainable and responsible use of the gillnet fishery on the Fraser that the DFO so carefully monitors so as not to intercept any of the endangered runs so we don't toss people out on the streets for no good reason? Look all I was trying to say is leave the herring alone so they can return to their former glory which anyone who has a fishing relationship to the past can attest is certainly not now the case. Not much has been done to turn things around in regards to improving the Wild Salmon's future in our back yard with the exception of kicking Recreational Sport Fisherman out onto the streets. Nothing on Fish Farms until at least after the next election, nothing on habitat enhancement, nothing on selective fishing methods in the rivers, just continue on this so called sustainable path. And as far as NGO's go I don't contribute to anyone who knocks on my door, I will pay a bit more tax if its not wasted and if a few people need to go on E.I. for a bit that is what happens when anyone else's place of employment gets closed down.

wow, that's a wild round about argument to support closing down the herring fishery. In-River gill nets is a poor example to use with all due respect. Frankly one of the least selective fish catching technologies, and my own personal opinion is they should be banned from use in rivers.

Back to herring, if you follow the SoG data there was a significant resurgence in abundance to historic levels in the immediate past years. However, the natural mortality cycle now looks to be trending in the wrong direction, which if you follow the MSE management modelling that means harvest will be significantly dialled back down. Similarly, areas such as the WCVI simply failed to meet the core conservation objectives, so no fishery. IMO it is hard to argue against a science-based approach that allows a level of harvest when it is sustainable, and dials it back when the stock is not able to be sustainably harvested. Sure seems to be exactly what people have been complaining about not happening, when in fact that is exactly what is going on. I'm not a commercial fisher, never have been, never will be...but I support a commercial harvest where and when that can be done sustainably.

I am almost certain the the SOG herring spawn will be turned into an mpa.

particularly in the areas around Hornby and Denman Island.

"Typically, Hornby and Denman Island are areas where a lot of spawning occurs and Zielinski has seen first-hand the changes in the marine ecosystem every year.

“For me, our life is under the water, it’s not above the water, and I see the effects of overfishing and decline,” he said. “The fish get smaller, the schools get more broken up, the tonnage varies all the time, but it never gets better, it steadily goes downhill and it’s reaching that point where something needs to be done about it. Its time has passed.”

He adds the waters around Hornby and Denman islands are known for excellent marine life, and it is still quite healthy, but the stocks only seem to decline, they don’t get better.

There’s more human pressure – whether it be from sport fishing, commercial fishing – and I just want to make sure those resources are here for the future for the next generations.”"

wow, that's a wild round about argument to support closing down the herring fishery. In-River gill nets is a poor example to use with all due respect. Frankly one of the least selective fish catching technologies, and my own personal opinion is they should be banned from use in rivers.

Back to herring, if you follow the SoG data there was a significant resurgence in abundance to historic levels in the immediate past years. However, the natural mortality cycle now looks to be trending in the wrong direction, which if you follow the MSE management modelling that means harvest will be significantly dialled back down. Similarly, areas such as the WCVI simply failed to meet the core conservation objectives, so no fishery. IMO it is hard to argue against a science-based approach that allows a level of harvest when it is sustainable, and dials it back when the stock is not able to be sustainably harvested. Sure seems to be exactly what people have been complaining about not happening, when in fact that is exactly what is going on. I'm not a commercial fisher, never have been, never will be...but I support a commercial harvest where and when that can be done sustainably.
I agree with your post for the most part. The danger is there is big money interests involved that retain lobbyists to advance their interests without regard to what is truly sustainable.

Well check out the post Derby just put up about endangered fish in California and it might give you some insight into how lobbyists push their agenda. At least they probably won't have to worry about the smelt anymore they will just wipe them out.

If you are saying that searun is a lobbyists then you are so far wrong that I would have say your in wrongsville... :)

Get serious searun!!!!
This year the commercial fishing of Chinook salmon has been all but shut down and Recreation fishing severely reduced with annual limits reduced from 20 or 30 per year to 10, daily limits reduced 50% and total closures with limited opportunities.
Same cannot be said of the Herring Fishery!!
Time is LONG OVERDUE for severe Herring harvest cutbacks.
As respectful as I can be you obviously know jack **** about the herring fishery and how they have been cut back.

Back