Herring Jigging - Comox/Denman

crab bait

Last year a few forum members were jigging herring during their annual spawn (in the Comox, Denman, Hornby area).

This looked like a great thing to do with the kids as long as the weather cooperates, and to get some salmon/halibut bait for the summer of 2014.

I think the timing was the end of Feb, beginning of March?

Do you guys have any tips? Time of year? Time of Day? General location? Best jig? Weight? Best way to stun/kill the herring and how to preserve them (so they don't scale themselves)?

Thanks guys, any info is appreciated (I did review last years thread, but any info is good info)

Should be any time now.. Look for schools in deeper water with the sounder prior to them moving into the shallows. If the school is thick and wind and tide cooperate you can jig down to at least 150ft. Be prepared to keep chasing the schools ad they move quite quickly, and if they are not showing under your boat--GO LOOKING FOR THEM. Japanese fish skin jigs work best.

If you put them into a 5gal bucket with 1/3 water in it, they will suffocate quickly with minimum loss of scales. (low o2) I dont use chemicals to prevent scale loss

Back